PRIVATE PLATES

darren m

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont know if any one has mentioned in this thread a cheap place to buy them from try plates 4 less they are cheap as chips i buy all mine off them so does my gaffer!!! from £138 i think?? any combination :good: my Gaffer has bought 50 plus off them :yes: and still using every one

http://www.plates4less.co.uk/

Edited by splitstop63

right , i went private sale and i got the paper work yesterday ie. the retention document

which parts do we fill in .??. section 2 , 3 , 4

the grantee name is the chap who i bought it from , underneath it says nominee and says not applicable .

he as signed it at section 1 but section 2 3 4 are blank , do i fill those in ??

and do i have to pay another £25 :/ to change it to my daughters name ( will she be the new nominee )

thanks

ps - should the grantee( chap i,ve just bought it from ) sign section 6

bloody confusing :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bring this thread up again.

I've seen a plate that I'm interested in, the company that's selling it wants £2k plus fees does any one know if there's much room for negotiations in these matters ?

Its only worth what someone will pay............ I have only bought from DVLA direct they are cheapest so check it isnt on their website first, a lot of brokers list the DVLA stock + Fee and VAT.

Sorry to bring this thread up again.

I've seen a plate that I'm interested in, the company that's selling it wants £2k plus fees does any one know if there's much room for negotiations in these matters ?

You can only ask - a lot of these companies don't own the plates they've got for sale, they are selling on commision for the owners - either that, or they're unissued plates, they've got a price off DVLA and are adding 30-50% to that, and hoping you'll not check DVLA before buying off them

Thanks HDAV and Rob, the plate is definately the company's. It's been for sale for some time well over a year, I'll give them a ring tomorrow and see if they play ball.

( don't mean to be rude but please don't ask the plate number on a public forum :) )

Edited by Willpoon

Thanks HDAV and Rob, the plate is definately the company's. It's been for sale for some time well over a year, I'll give them a ring tomorrow and see if they play ball...

Worth saying "I'm interested in a few different ones but all comes down to price and so I'll buy the best value", so as to hide any real desire for a specific plate which they'll use to keep the price of it up.

Good luck!

You can only ask - a lot of these companies don't own the plates they've got for sale, they are selling on commision for the owners - either that, or they're unissued plates, they've got a price off DVLA and are adding 30-50% to that, and hoping you'll not check DVLA before buying off them

This is very true, a few years ago I did a search for X3XXX plates which even the DVLA can't possibly have known is of any use to anyone and the quoted figures made me gulp ! The following week I did another search and by good fortune did it through DVLA's website and it was less than half the price so bought it on the spot, the first quote I now know were vermin chancers helping themselves to thousands of pounds by catching the unwary.

A while ago I also tried to buy a 61 plate combination and was quoted crazy figures but eventually bought it through DVLA 3 minutes after they were released saving myself enough for a Beretta !

Wife has a GIL**** which was bought for Mothering Sunday 20+ years ago - worst investment ever but she loves it to death and know we will never ever sell it. Been on 11cars, costs £80-105 a pop plus plates so it must be an emmotional not a financial purchase.

Why do you buy new plates? just move them over.....