Pigeon shooting.

Pigeongadgie

Very new too this game. Right i cnt seem to find pigeons in any great numbers around here. Specially feeding in a particular field. Sometimes see the odd few flying on the same libe vack forth some trees. Question is how do you know if worth decoying? Could i set up beside there flight line in the hope u pull them into you? Or will they just keep flying past? Or could u just select any random field u see beside a flight line and set up? As above i have nvr seen them feeding in anyone area in great numbers. Just ones orbtwos and there plenty sown ground around and lots of roosts close by. As i say very new and not going to be looking for no major success from the off but if i could go out and decoy 1 or 2 instead of nothing i would be a happy guy. Any help would be great.

if you have identified a flightline, although ones and twos.....then its worth setting up with a few decoys .....are you using a shotgun or airifle...dont expect the birds to come into land, alot of the time they will vere off coarse to have a look see, then take them when in range....cut a couple of sticks and pace out 25 yds ..put a stick in then pace out to 40yds and put another stick in...that will help you on your distance......pigeons tend to go off the feed for 2-3 hrs midday-ish so your best bet is ealyish in the morning or afternoon till dusk

all of the advice you will get is not cast in stone...things will vary from area to area...the only way to find out is to get out there and do trail and error...then report back with your findings

good luck

You have obviously not mastered the pigeon dance yet. It starts with jumping up in the hide, trip over the dog, that's as the dog wrecks the hide and collects the dead bird from the floater. You then hot foot it over the field soaked in coffee in pursuit of the dog. Once this is mastered the birds will find you.

Edited by ayano3

My trick to find pigeons is to go out planting with the tractor on rented land, then I see thousands of pigeons. All the.pigeons are in Norfolk.

re-phrase that,,,"all the pigeons are in Norfolk......cept where ditchman is"

• 1 month later...

I saw one of the largest concentrations of pigeons in Aberdeenshire that I have ever seen. The flock must have been 20,000 strong.

This does not help you directly I know but there is some very fine agricultural land up there with mixed cropping and there are usually good numbers of resident pigeons. Try to make contact with an experienced decoyer in the area, invite him onto your land on the basis that he shows you the ropes but be careful that he does not oust you.

Even if you only see1 or 2 every 10 to 20 minutes you could still end up shooting into double figures. And I'm sure the decent bags will come your way when they start cutting the cereal crops near you. They aren't a lot of good to the birds at the minute. Never decoyed pigeons in Aberdeenshire but had some real good bags roost shooting whilst on annual goose shooting holiday in the Memsie / Mintlaw / pitsligo areas

Hello. I need help.

Im finding it very hard to get any premission to shot.i live in harlow essex.i woulf be greatful if any one could point me in the right direction.

Move house to the Midlands, seriously though, try knocking on doors, find out where the local landowners drink and get chatting over a pint, ask all your friends if they know anyone who shoots who might take you out, watch the shooting available column on here and ask local members for some help, perseverance pays. Good luck. :yahoo::yahoo: