Dog attack dog laws?

rtaylor

To cut a long story short my brother lab puppy was attacked at the weekend by another dog. They live in a very rural area and it happened across the valley from where they live whilst walking past a 'neighbours' house/drive. They were walking the dog along the road and passing the gate to the house the pup went into the drive way (down the side of a van) and was then attacked by the other dog.

I think it was a staffy or something similar as it latched on and they had to prize it off. They have taken the pup to the vets and it has been treated for some puncture wounds but otherwise ok.

No I don't know the exact circumstances but the dog in question has attacked two other dogs in the area.

Does anyone know the laws on this kind of thing?

I think my brother is going to report it but I guess its a pretty grey area and I doubt the police will do anything more than log it down.

Driveway of the other dog owners. That's where I think it will be the greyest. The bits I've read say "if the dog is out of control in a public place or out of control on private property where it shouldn't be".

If it has a known problem then you would think the people would prevent it from getting out, or other dogs in.

Edited by rtaylor

Your brother's dog was attacked on the property of the other dog's owner. Not really sure what your brother is reporting.

His own dog was off the lead and strayed onto someone else's property. Then got attacked.

Your brother might be criticised for not having it on a lead.

I think there will be little point in complaining in that case , as it will be deemed that your brother was not in control of his dog in allowing it to roam onto someone elses property .

They may have some responsibility but then equally so does your brother , if he had it on a lead and the other dog came off its property then you may have had a case.

Beaten by Gordon

Edited by fenboy

Lots of local legislation now states that when in public a dog must be on a lead.

Sadly, while the other dog carried out a probably unprovoked attack, if the pup had been on a lead and still on the path there'd be a case against the attacking dog: as is, it's doubtful any case could be made.

Hope the pup makes a quick recovery