shogun/pajero owners/or mechanic

mayfly36

I have a pajero 2.8 1999 another one, lol, BUT this one has an acceleration issue. Starts perfect, and then after a minute when accelerating i get hesitation on the throttle and black smoke, then it would slowly pick up speed. No smoke at all when up to 60mph etc, only when changing between gears, definitly holding back, sluggish. i had another pajero and it had a pump oil seal which i replaced and sorted, but this pajero has this issue now, so what can this be. Injectors maybe, black smoke normally a sign off over fuelling, oh and i have had on 1 or 2 occassions a diesel knock when trying to accelerate. All help graefully appreciated.

Have you tryed here..

http://www.pocuk.com/forums/

Hmmmm I see your regestered there...

aye registered but very rarely get an answer, maybe this time.

Does this only happen once per trip? ie, you start, it plays around, then clears and is ok for the rest of the journey?

No all time, starts off ok then, starts to struggle as if too much fuel. My last pajero had good lift to it, you cuold tell the turbo was working, but this one has a totally different feel, no lift when asked for

Had same issue and again +1 for blanking plate.

mine would start ok run for twenty mins than at lights try to pull away and black smoke and sluggish.

Removed two bolts from EGR fitted a plate (made from tin of bake bins ) and hey you guessed it no more smoke

or sluggish.

lee

• 2 weeks later...

Update. I ran with the vac pipe removed, runs perfect, connect and it runs like a pig. BUT...... the EGR VALVE IS WORKING PERFECT, fully closed and only opens when vac attached on idle, i removed and cleaned it regardless and when vacuum pipe is connected it pulls the EGR open.....this is the issue, its pulling it right open when idling, this, if im not mistaken should NOT be happening, it should only happen under acceleration, and only small movements open and shut etc under acceleration and deceleration the vacuum should NOT be pulling the EGR FULLY OPEN on idle, it should only open when asked for, ie when accelerating, SO something elsewhere is asking for full vacuum right away. So back to the drawing board guys. More help needed.

Edited by mayfly36