Sea fishing from a boat in Norfolk

rtaylor

I am thinking of taking my boat down to stay with a friend in Cambridge over easter. As the corse fishing is in closed season so that rules out the broads, I was thinking of taking it out on the North Norfolk coast somewhere.

It's a wayfarer sailing dingy, although I have an outboard for her but we would be limited to calm days.

Can anyone suggest any good places to:

a. launch (preferably for free) and

b. fish and for what?

I'm not expecting marlin or shark fishing but a few mackerel would be quite nice. :)

Cheers

Easter is a bit early for mackerel off the North Norfolk Coast.

Best bet is to fish worm, fish strip, peeler crab on the bottom for bass / rays etc. Wells , Brancaster, Blakeney and Morston are all good places to launch. All are very tidal and can be extremely dangerous so please check local conditions carefully before you set out.

Great advice, cheers guys. I don't do a huge amount of fishing and haven't been sea fishing for years. I'm assuming bait can be bought locally. I know of a couple of places up here although not sure if they cater for sea fishing. Can you recommend a good bait/tackle shop?

Are they slipways or beach launches? Do you know if they are free or roughly how much/who to ask?

Cheers

Edit. Sorry being lazy, I've had a look on boat launch.co.uk plenty of info on the locations you guys have suggested.

As above I'm a bit of a novice, could you name a rig to try out?

Edited by rtaylor

What about launching from Wells-next-the sea :yes:

Good choice,a couple of hours either side of HW could be a problem as it comes in like a train,especially now the wind farm guys are dredging the channel.

I think bass are on the cards there.

As said,tope are the target further out but not in a wayfarer(although I did read an account of the wayfarer clubs crossing of the North Sea!)

I have a boat down at Thornham harbour which has a slip way but would recommend Brancaster staithe.

A few bass have been caught inshore and a few codling further road the coast have been coming out.

If u get a calm day would recommend goin for tope (we normally go 7-8 mile out to sea) also the wind farm would be good for cod and rays.