Wind in your face

Mr pigeon

it isn,t ideal most of us realise that, and I hate setting up with the wind in my face especially if its a strong wind just a nightmare setting a hide up and birds are harder to shoot but at times you need to with the situation on the day , we have had 100 bags with the wind in our face, with some some good shooting and fieldcraft, decoys further out say 50 yards anything inbetween you and them is well in range and just be alert and suss were the majority of birds are coming from anticipate that and be ready for them

All the above , I set up with good cover behind me, but still able to see them coming in, keep out to one side, I like to shoot left to right , so I have the decoys to my left, so the birds come in over my left shoulder and present going away on my left side, so my swing is left to centre, if that makes any sense, the up side is if they are moving away but into wind they will be slowing down as they approach the centre of the pattern, so slightly easier to hit, if you are well camo'ed up and keep still as they pass you, you will be coming up with the gun from behind them so less chance of them seeing you move, I keep the decoys within 40 yards so they don't run on too far before committing into the pattern, if you are slow seeing them they could be 50 yards out before you get a shot off, I also find you get a lot swing in from either left or right and turn into the pattern right in front of you , presenting side on at around 10-15 yards , just keep your nerve, don't move until they are right in front, great targets, moving fast and turning away. at close range,hope it helps give you ideas, best way is get out there and try out different set ups to suit your shooting style. :good::good:

Generally if the wind is in my face I put the decoys further out as there will be less chance birds coming from behind will over fly them .

I called to see a mate shooting yesterday afternoon so my pup could watch a bit of shooting , the wind was in his face as the other way the road was to close.

His set up was out a lot further than usual giving the birds plenty of space to land.

He ended up with around 30 birds, where I would have guessed double that if you could have set up the other way as a lot of birds passed over high with only some pealing off. Each day is different and I do use this when there is no other why (way) to get a shot....

TEH

Edited by The Essex Hunter

This is the worst shooting position possible for me as I hate going away shots. Just get your hide tucked into a hedge or tree and let the birds come from behind . It will be fast shooting but if you put your decoys way out this will allow them the come over the from behind and set for the decoys this allows you to get a bead on them . If you have your decoys too close they will flare and veer off as they can not drop in with the wind . In the past we have had the decoys up to eighty or ninety yards out in the field . Just be confident with your set up.

I had a strong wind in my face today shooting over peas. The hide was constantly being blown all over the place and more importantly the pigeons just could not get into the decoys. The problem was that there was a long wood of very tall trees behind me and the flight line came over it and by the time the incoming birds spotted the decoys it was too late for them to be able to descend fast enough.

For a variety of reasons I could not set up at the other side of the field, nor in the middle of it. The pigeons came over the wood 60m high and just kept on going. Some did try to get in to the pattern but they found it difficult even though I pushed the rotary and decoys out to 60m.

I put the decoys out to one side and a bit further out and also plenty of cover as close to overhead as you can withot obstructing your shot, never ideal though, in most cases id rather have a hide in the middle of a field with the wind behind than in the hedge with it towards me...