semi auto info

dr. lecter

Dr Lecter, have you considered a Hatsan semi auto? I bought a brand new Hatsan pump action this year from Kirklees guns, I had change from £300, several shims in the box along with a high- viz bead foresight, a full set of chokes and a 3 year warranty! I had my doubts about the quality and reliability but, I have to say its awesome. I can't comment on the semi auto's however, no doubt it'll be as good as the pump action.

Regarding semi auto's, I have a Webley & Scott 810, I bought this second hand as a rough gun. The condition was immaculate and having taken it to my local clay shoot I decided it was far too good for dragging it over walls, pulling through fences etc. In my opinion, second hand W&S 810's give good value. My only complaint re this gun was the magazine tube rusts/pits if you don't keep an eye on it.

I forgot to mention about a friend of mine. He has a Browning Silver semi-auto, this is a good looking gun. He's had this from new for a number of years. In the time he's owned it, he claims never to have really cleaned it and its never once jammed.

Guest stevo

another one here for the A400 , I bought one a couple of weeks ago and find it very nice , and seem to get on with fairly well with it to .

regards stevo

Another for the A400, treat it right. It will treat you right

Never had a jam misfeed or any other form of malfunction

My bro in laws is fussy on cartridges, doesn't like express or hull super fasts

It's even been back to the shop because it wasn't feeding them in

Never missed a beat with gamebore high velocity or cheddite

:shaun:

Why spend a fortune on a custom made stock for a gun which will invariably cost less than a grand ?

I've shimmed auto's in the past successfully by double shimming as has been mentioned. You can file shims, relieve the bolt hole in the shim and heaven forbid even raid the recycling bin at home for odd bits of plastic, washing up liquid bottle plastic works well.

There's nobody more fussy than me when it comes to gun fit, but that's probably another topic for another day...plenty of info online...you just need to google it :-)

Azzurri.

But you do all that with any timber stocked gun without a PFS or Evo comp. buying a semi "because you can shim it to fit" is nonesense its like someone with a full head of hair "buying a wig cause you can dye it any colour and have it cut to suit"

Apologies to all rug wearers on PW....

But you do all that with any timber stocked gun without a PFS or Evo comp. buying a semi "because you can shim it to fit" is nonesense its like someone with a full head of hair "buying a wig cause you can dye it any colour and have it cut to suit"

Apologies to all rug wearers on PW....

But modifying a standard timber stocked gun is permanent and requires a bit of wood working skills, there is no way you can just change a couple of shims to see if you like it then change it again if you don't. I must not be the only one that has shouldered a gun in a shop or out on the range thinking it feels fine only to find it's not to my tastes when I actually shoot the thing.

With my wooden stocked Beretta AL 391 the shim in it at the moment is a 50- 65 which will give me 50mm or 65 mm stock drop. They also supply a 55-60 as standard so the height range of 15mm is the same as the standard memory system adjustable 682 gold E I have. Factor in the other shims available or the tips and tricks already mentioned here then you have a gun that exceeds the height range of a standard Beretta adjustable stock.

Budget adjustable over and unders are thin on the ground, having your gun properly fitted or made adjustable is not cheap and is permanent, also some so called 'Gun Fitters' idea of what 'fits' and how to achieve it is laughable.

So an auto is not a bad idea for those who want the ability of adjustment on a budget to get the gun how they want it, not for everyone granted, but not nonsense either.

But modifying a standard timber stocked gun is permanent and requires a bit of wood working skills, there is no way you can just change a couple of shims to see if you like it then change it again if you don't. I must not be the only one that has shouldered a gun in a shop or out on the range thinking it feels fine only to find it's not to my tastes when I actually shoot the thing.

With my wooden stocked Beretta AL 391 the shim in it at the moment is a 50- 65 which will give me 50mm or 65 mm stock drop. They also supply a 55-60 as standard so the height range of 15mm is the same as the standard memory system adjustable 682 gold E I have. Factor in the other shims available or the tips and tricks already mentioned here then you have a gun that exceeds the height range of a standard Beretta adjustable stock.

Budget adjustable over and unders are thin on the ground, having your gun properly fitted or made adjustable is not cheap and is permanent, also some so called 'Gun Fitters' idea of what 'fits' and how to achieve it is laughable.

So an auto is not a bad idea for those who want the ability of adjustment on a budget to get the gun how they want it, not for everyone granted, but not nonsense either.

So why dont O/U come with shims? sounds like the perfect solution ???

So why dont O/U come with shims? sounds like the perfect solution ???

Because of the different way the stocks are mated to the action on the two types of gun.

The wood of the stock covers the trigger group on an OU so there is no room for movement up down or sideways. Therefore the shims are useless unless you totally redesign the gun with drop out triggers, removable side plates and a thick flat section on the back of the action to accept a shim. Even on my drop out trigger DT10 you need to remove the stock to get access to the firing pins and top bolt assembly and it has no flat section for a shim.

Cheaper and easier to stick and adjustable stock on to an existing design than totally redesign it to accept shims, also radical designs of OU's tend not to go down well with the shooting public.

Autos have a drop out trigger group, firing pin mechanism and the thick flat section at the back of the action where it meets the stock meaning it is ideal for the shims. Make one stock and get the different height and cast needed with cheap shims and spacers means lower production costs on mass market gun. Also people are not as fussy with radical auto designs.

It could be done for an OU but why spend a fortune on development of a radical new design of OU when the same can be achieved with an optional extra of an adjustable stock or gun fitting service for no development outlay.

Edited by timps

• 4 weeks later...

Never had a problem with any of my Berettas, 391 xtrema2 and a400 xtreme, sx3 was no bother, maxus used to jam quite often with clay carts as do new benelis (m2 and sbe2)

If I was to get another auto, defiantly an a400.... :good:

Edited by chrispti

Said it Many times but my a400 xtreme is the business. 28gr shells no problem. A mate has just got a benelli Vinci brand new and it is a pain in the ***. Another has a sbe2 and after putting a lot of 32gr shells through it will finally cycle 28gr shells. I know the sbe2 is designed for the mud using big shells but should be able to smash clays aswell.

Tom Knapp? ;)

Patrick Flanagan

AL 390 SUPER GUN, needs a clean every 5 thousand or so

AL 391 SUPER GUN, see above

WINNY SX2 SUPER GUN see above above.

all semi's require a little care and attention, i found the Beretta the least maintenance heavy of all

having said that, watched an old fella the weekend blasting away on an old A5 think that gun has had more comebacks than Sinatra......

• 2 weeks later...