Caesarean info needed.

timmyra608

Hi all just had a friend on the phone asking if I could find any info out for him. He has got a Springer which had a cesarean last time she had pups as he wants to no if she will be able to give birth on her own as she is pregnant again or would he need to take her to vets again for another cesarean? Had a look on internet but couldn't really find anything so would be grateful if any of u chaps could help with any info I could pass onto him.

Cheers

Tim

Can't speak for dogs as I've managed to evade the dreaded c-section so far, but we've had to have a couple with cats. From our conversations with our vet I would say it all depends on the circumstances surrounding the first c-section. If she is too small inside and can't pass the young, then it's almost definitely a c-section again. If there is only one or two and they are very large, then again it might be time to intervene. Has she been scanned?

With our cats we had one very large kitten that had started on it's way out forelegs first with it's head over it's back. I couldn't push it far enough back in to turn the head and neither could the vet, so a c-section was the only answer. Next litter was fine and natural.

The other was a large single kitten that was stillborn (could tell from the discharge :sick: and lack of condition on the female). Tried oxytocin, but she couldn't push, so c-section again. Next litter of two were fine.

Not sure if that helps?

We had a c section with my cocker as she was unable to push the pups out when the c section had been done the vet said there was no way she would of been able to give birth naturally to those pups as they were massive and it was the smallest that got stuck

We are going to breed again and asked my vet the same question and he said that if a dog has struggled once before there is a higher chance that a c section will be needed again I hope this helps and if you need any more info about it just pm me and I will try to help as best I can cheers mike