Why do you shoot ?

Harnser

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In my early days of shooting of handguns and air weapons it was the passion for competing against each other and to better yourself, it's still the same with shotguns travelling around to various clubs and meeting people as well ,

It's nice to get out in the open rather than being stuck in at work :)

I shoot as it makes me feel omnipotent and feeds my masturbatory needs.

Exactly!

Working as I do on the farm, surrounded by all this noisy horrid wildlife, being forced to breath in all this unhealthy fresh air whilst surrounded by ghastly countryside, the only way I can make myself feel omnipotent is to kill as many of God's little creatures I can.

I shoot 99% clays these days,

That's a very high average, well done. ;)

I shoot as it makes me feel omnipotent and feeds my masturbatory needs.

You too eh? I thought it was just me.

Aside from all the other noble reasons aforementioned, it's quite nice (being a lardy pen pusher) to actually go out and get some exercise. The odd bit of beating in the season is great for that too.

Edited by Thunderbird

I shoot primarly because i love wildlife and the countryside. My main love is wildfowling and I like being to do something that can be very difficult , outwitting a goose or duck. The planning of a trip , decideinging what the fowl will do and outguessing them to place myself in the right place at the right time to shoot a few. To shoot to many is sickening , half a dozen geese is more than enough for a flight , gives me a few meals and the odd bird to give away. When fowling becomes easy it loses its apeal for me . Once I have made a bag of say wigeon then I turn my attention to a more difficult part of the marsh and chase a diffrent type of fowl. I can never see the point in returning to the same hot spot again and again , to shoot a cart load , for me there is no challange or fun in that. Its nice to get a bird or two in the bag , but some of my best flights have been blanks, like a moonlit flight several miles out on the Wash mudflats when a huge number of wild swans arived in the early hours and pitched in all around me filling the marsh with their calls or the morning when dawn found me hidden in a creek surrounded by pink feet , perhaps 8,000 of them some close I coulod have reached out of the creek and graped their legs. I never fired a shot , but the sights and sounds of those flights will stay with me for ever.

I just love it, I have been shooting for almost 40 years now and would not stop for the world, its part of my life.

Most of my best memories are based on my shooting exploits, from my early days of plinking in the back garden with a Webley junior pistol, my first air rifle (BSA Mercury) to the day I got my first (post card like) shotgun certificate, my first shotgun (a Lanber Sporter from Uttings), my first shot at clays, (Broomhills as was), my first pigeon, my fist pheasant, my first rabbit...and so on.

I am blessed that I have been working in the shooting world for the last 19 years...

David

dad was a farmer so grew up with it see most of it as pest control and helping balance natures books, love wildfowling that's meeting nature on her terms when your out on the foreshore game shooting I consider a challenge so really several different reasons but enjoy it and respect my quarry always

That's a very high average, well done. ;)

I try ;)

I shoot for fun these days,

A few years ago I used to shoot registered Skeet and by my standards got quite good at it, averaged around 85-90% with a high of 95/100 ONCE

It's a practise thing, you have to keep it up,

Can't afford to shoot more than about 3 times a month now, used to be twice a week,

But it's better than sitting in the house on a Sunday morning :)

:shaun:

Guest rimotu66

I read this thread when it started and did not answer because I could not think of a single reason, so here is my list.

Have done for years.

I enjoy it.

I like fresh air and the country side.

Love been out on my own.

Love shooting with other people.

Or is it because I have a thing for wearing country clothing and have a blood lust ???:lol:

Guest rimotu66

I think it's because you fancy(ied) our Clarissa!

I think you could be correct Sir, I have always loved seeing Ladies in country clothing :good:

Edited by rimotu66

My real reason is like most.... I akin it to fishing, golf etc for others.... Its an excuse to get out the house, to spend time on our own or with similar minded people and be at one with nature.

I can go out for hours without a single shot and be happy and content in the fact that I've satisfied that little part of the soul that requires peace and solitude.... Its a man thing...

Its the reason we have man caves, whether it be a primeval urge or a reset from the trappings of stresses of modern life either way I need something to forget work etc.

The country for me is my reset, whether it be out with the dogs, camera or gun... seeing nature it all its forms can be awesome, relaxing and exciting :good:

Edited by jeffjjack

My real reason is like most.... I akin it to fishing, golf etc for others.... Its an excuse to get out the house, to spend time on our own or with similar minded people and be at one with nature.

I can go out for hours without a single shot and be happy and content in the fact that I've satisfied that little part of the soul that requires peace and solitude.... Its a man thing...

Its the reason we have man caves, whether it be a primeval urge or a reset from the trappings of stresses of modern life either way I need something to forget work etc.

The country for me is my reset, whether it be out with the dogs, camera or gun... seeing nature it all its forms can be awesome, relaxing and exciting :good:

+1

Also game tastes reeeeeeet good, bonus and I don't know any different , my old fella shoots and so the story carries on in me

Atb

Flynny