Essex masters

umney531

Thinking back about the shoot yesterday, all the staff and refs etc were excellent(apart from one grumpy ref)

I Had no no birds on 200 clays, the results were written on the big board so all the other shooters could see on the day.

As some have pointed out thre were no live online scores being put up.

All the ladies in the food tent did an excellent job IMO with the prices cheaper and better if you can compare it with some game fairs, I had a steak buger,cheese,bacon,mushrooms and onions a can of pop and a cup of coffee for £5 :good:

If you shot prior to Sunday your scores would have more than likely of moved I reckon as it got very very busy!

It's hard to compare this event to a PW charity shoot as the charity shoot has to cater for all types of shooters from novices to pros.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two very good assesments there from you Will, from the eye of a beginer and I think you shot remarkably well for a first attempt at a recognised classic. We all have to start somewhere and the more events you attend the better you will shoot.There are not too many people that would drive all that way on your own to shoot with people you don't know, full marks to you for making the effort.It will reap it's rewards for you in the end.I actually enjoy shooting the majors in different company and it's good to take pot luck on the shooters that you end up with, next time you could get diggers himself. from Auntie.

Well done Azzuri I wouldnt be dissapointed with that score lol!!! Did you hit the four singles on the black. I was amazed i hit all of those and 3 ex 4 on the red lol. I think my scores were my best because of all the rangey stuff I prefer the long rangey stuff, I use 3/4 and 3/4 for everything, the red layout had a lot of closer stuff that I probably should have choked down a little for but i made the decison before i started 28g no 7.5 and no choke changing, concentrate and not gaff about like i usually do.

Will I wouldnt be upset with 122, I think that was there or there abouts what I shot first time 5 years ago and I was a c classified shooter, that place brings you back to earth with a bump BUT its what keeps me going back, my favorite shoot bar none!!

7ex8 on the singles stands is some shooting mate, you'll remember those two stands for some time....maybe even tell the grandchildren about it a few times...I know I would :good::yes::lol:

I first barrelled all four on the black course with 3\4. I was well happy with that but only hit the crosser and bunny on the red course, I was tired by then, first time i've felt tired shooting it all in the same day, might have a change of plan if we do it next year :yes:

Azzurri.

Thinking back about the shoot yesterday, all the staff and refs etc were excellent(apart from one grumpy ref)

I Had no no birds on 200 clays, the results were written on the big board so all the other shooters could see on the day.

As some have pointed out thre were no live online scores being put up.

All the ladies in the food tent did an excellent job IMO with the prices cheaper and better if you can compare it with some game fairs, I had a steak buger,cheese,bacon,mushrooms and onions a can of pop and a cup of coffee for £5 :good:

If you shot prior to Sunday your scores would have more than likely of moved I reckon as it got very very busy!

It's hard to compare this event to a PW charity shoot as the charity shoot has to cater for all types of shooters from novices to pros.

i bet the grumpy ref was on red course peg 6

There was a squad infront of us just about to finish, as we approached the ref to see the birds he said no as we should have seen them as we were close by, I thought the essex masters wasn't a cpsa registerd shoot as all other refs would let us stand in the cage and view multiple times of whichever bird we wanted to view. Infact on one stand a kind ref let me take the pair again as he felt sorry for me :whistling:

There was a squad infront of us just about to finish, as we approached the ref to see the birds he said no as we should have seen them as we were close by, I thought the essex masters wasn't a cpsa registerd shoot as all other refs would let us stand in the cage and view multiple times of whichever bird we wanted to view. Infact on one stand a kind ref let me take the pair again as he felt sorry for me :whistling:

I think you will find that the Essex masters is run to the CPSA Rules and uses the CPSA Averages. If you plan to continue shooting these higher grade shoots you will find some referees will let you get away with things although they should stick to the published rules.

If everybody wanted to see the birds when they had already had the oportunity it would slow down the already busy day.

Right I see :good:

Still think he was a grumpy ref.....

BTW you weren't reffing that day were you :whistling:

No I wasn't, but I suggest you get hold of a set of the CPSA English Sporting Rules and have a read. Then when you are aware of what can and can't be done you will appreciate that you and you alone are responsible for being ready and that includes paying attention to the targets that the squad in front of you are shooting at.

Good luck.

I think you will find that the Essex masters is run to the CPSA Rules and uses the CPSA Averages. If you plan to continue shooting these higher grade shoots you will find some referees will let you get away with things although they should stick to the published rules.

If everybody wanted to see the birds when they had already had the oportunity it would slow down the already busy day.

I think the shoot is loosely run to cpsa rules, certainly classifications, but not all other normal registered rules apply. Glasses aren't compulsary (which is great news) and also you can use any cartridge you like (which is even greater news).

As for viewing a pair of targets I fully agree with you, if you're the first man on the next stand get there early for a really good look before you shoot, it makes things much easier for yourself if you trot off in front of your squad mates for an early preview of what other shooters are doing and how they're shooting the targets.

Azzurri.

Joking aside I've just briefly scrolled through the CPSA booklet number 5https://www.cpsa.co.uk/userfiles/file/CPSA_Booklet_5.pdf

Besides the usual eye and ear protection that some shooters don't abide by, there's so many things I see at registerd shoots that not only does the competitor but also the refs don't adhere to by the rules.

I know majority of the rules but one I didn't know that was about foot faults ! I thought that was more strict with FITASC with there hoola hoops on the floor .

Joking aside I've just briefly scrolled through the CPSA booklet number 5https://www.cpsa.co.uk/userfiles/file/CPSA_Booklet_5.pdf

Besides the usual eye and ear protection that some shooters don't abide by, there's so many things I see at registerd shoots that not only does the competitor but also the refs don't adhere to by the rules.

I know majority of the rules but one I didn't know that was about foot faults ! I thought that was more strict with FITASC with there hoola hoops on the floor .

If ref's were doing their jobs properly they wouldn't let people shoot their stands without eye protection....but then there are refs and refs aren't there and some shooters know how to bend the rules don't they <_<

Azzurri.

I have had this argument before and like most CPSA rules it is badly written.

VIEWING POINT

7.00 Any competitor who has not had an opportunity to see targets on any stand, i.e. at the commencement of the competition each day, shall have the right to see one target from each trap for that stand from a position outside the stand. For simultaneous pairs, a maximum of 2 pairs can be viewed. All competitors should avail themselves of the opportunity to view targets whilst waiting their turn to shoot.

So you have a right to see a target if you haven't seen a target for whatever reason you still have a right to see it nothing in the rule removes that right.

All competitors SHOULD avail themselves of the opportunity to view targets whilst waiting their turn to shoot.

The word 'should' is used instead of the word 'must' and according to the Oxford English Dictionary :

Should:

to talk about what we think is the right or correct thing to do, especially from the point of view of duty or appropriateness:

Must:

to talk about something that has to be done because its compulsory or obligatory (that is, its absolutely necessary to obey a rule, law, order, or instruction)

So as the rule is written the appropriate thing to do is look at the target while waiting but it is not compulsory and nowhere does it say that if you don't view while waiting you give up your right to see a target.

So as the rule is written the referee was wrong.

Edited by timps

I have had this argument before and like most CPSA rules it is badly written.

VIEWING POINT

7.00 Any competitor who has not had an opportunity to see targets on any stand, i.e. at the commencement of the competition each day, shall have the right to see one target from each trap for that stand from a position outside the stand. For simultaneous pairs, a maximum of 2 pairs can be viewed. All competitors should avail themselves of the opportunity to view targets whilst waiting their turn to shoot.

So you have a right to see a target if you haven't seen a target for whatever reason you still have a right to see it nothing in the rule removes that right.

All competitors SHOULD avail themselves of the opportunity to view targets whilst waiting their turn to shoot.

The word 'should' is used instead of the word 'must' and according to the Oxford English Dictionary :

Should:

to talk about what we think is the right or correct thing to do, especially from the point of view of duty or appropriateness:

Must:

to talk about something that has to be done because its compulsory or obligatory (that is, its absolutely necessary to obey a rule, law, order, or instruction)

So as the rule is written the appropriate thing to do is look at the target while waiting but it is not compulsory and nowhere does it say that if you don't view while waiting you give up your right to see a target.

So as the rule is written the referee was wrong.

Ohhh my head hurts....i'm taking up Dtl, this is getting complicated :lol::lol::lol:

i wanted to see a pair and was allowed to with no problems whatsoever on other stands, (i know some of the ref's anyway),

but you could also see the clays in the cage,,

what a great shoot set up by Mr Dyson (well done John) :good:

i was pre warned about that ref from friends on the red layout while i was on the black, anyway he did not spoil my day i just thought he needs to brush up on his people skills.

I did laugh to myself though because as we were waiting to shoot it my mate decided to change chokes for that particular stand and was taking his time as usual and the ref was tapping his fingers on the bin loudly while looking really frustrated ( i did chuckle) dont worry though the squad behind us were only on stand 4 so we were'nt holding anyone else up (just thought i'd mention that before i get hammered on here for holding squads up )

The thing i Thought most funny and Poontang will remember this, 2 years on the trot we had run ins with the guys that looked lIke Doc from back to the future, he told Poontang that if his Semi auto jammed once more they would be lost targets and then he had a go at someone the next year for advising Bagsey how to shoot a clay he was missing (may have been Cat)

This year you couldnt stop him dishing out advice left right and centre and betting on peoples scores!!! he was right I got 7 lol!!! Funny ******

And Azzurri, you are right, even if I get better or go back to being mediocre I will never forget those last 2 stands!!! After the black I waved my gun in the air evil dead stylee, It was a wonder I didnt get told off lol

boomstick_nixie.jpg

Edited by Evil Elvis

If ref's were doing their jobs properly they wouldn't let people shoot their stands without eye protection....but then there are refs and refs aren't there and some shooters know how to bend the rules don't they <_<

Azzurri.

It's not registered you don't need to wear eye protection you don't have to stick to 28 gram cartridges and you can wear flip flops and speedos if you wish cpsa rules were nill and void it was an open shoot .

Deershooter

It's not registered you don't need to wear eye protection you don't have to stick to 28 gram cartridges and you can wear flip flops and speedos if you wish cpsa rules were nill and void it was an open shoot .

Deershooter

I know that. I was referring to Wills post regarding cpsa booklet number 5.

I was trying to say that if a shoot is cpsa registered the standard of reffing from registered shoot to registered shoot varies. I've seen people flaunting the eye protection rule, well known shots in some cases and the refs just let them carry on....

Azzurri.

EE you'd earned the right to show off a little after a stunning performance like that B) :yes:

:blush:

With the eye protection its down to the individual, I got hit in the arm and head on the nasty driven behind the hay bales I never compete without glasses my eyes are important to me

858651_10152734189573332_153906809919800