Shooting entitlement for a non-license holder.

arko

Often wonder if anyone knows all the rules/laws regarding shooting as there are differences between england /Norn ireland/scotland,honestly don't know if any with wales.Be a great help if we could get guidance on here from the BASC re these matters.

johnnie

Edited by AULD YIN

This very specific point though is one particularly that could do with clearing up once and for all, all these various interpretations of 'servant' and 'occupier' etc aren't anything other than people's best guess. It won't happen but let's fantasise that whichever way the interpretation falls it is worded as simple as 'you may (or may not) allow another person to use your shotgun/firearm whilst supervised by you, on land over which you have permission to shoot'

This very specific point though is one particularly that could do with clearing up once and for all, all these various interpretations of 'servant' and 'occupier' etc aren't anything other than people's best guess. It won't happen but let's fantasise that whichever way the interpretation falls it is worded as simple as 'you may (or may not) allow another person to use your shotgun/firearm whilst supervised by you, on land over which you have permission to shoot'

Define supervised. Think that could be added to the other two.

Problem is it also includes 'in sight of' and as we know, there's none so blind as those who won't see.

Sorry, correct of course.....................

The term

“in the presence of” is not defined in law

but is generally interpreted as being within

sight and earshot.

My intention of the word supervised would be that as the license holder you would also be accountable for the shooters behaviour, how you choose to do that supervision would need some clarification I know but I think there's no real reason for you to be anywhere other than right next to someone if you're supervising them.

I asked a simular question to basc as my dad likes to come shooting with me and he has'nt got a shotgun cert and this is the reply i got back of BASC so if the link works hope it helps unless someone has already beat me to it hahaha http://webmail.tiscali.co.uk/cp/ps/Mail/ExternalURLProxy?d=tiscali.co.uk&u=brian.gould1&url=http://basc.org.uk/firearms/guidance-and-fact-sheets/&urlHash=2.036587105284065E-279

I asked a simular question to basc as my dad likes to come shooting with me and he has'nt got a shotgun cert and this is the reply i got back of BASC so if the link works hope it helps unless someone has already beat me to it hahaha http://webmail.tiscali.co.uk/cp/ps/Mail/ExternalURLProxy?d=tiscali.co.uk&u=brian.gould1&url=http://basc.org.uk/firearms/guidance-and-fact-sheets/&urlHash=2.036587105284065E-279

Yes, that's the info we are debating. It's not 100% clear re occupier and "any right". CharlieT will argue that granting someone permission to shoot rabbits is not the same as granting them a right to shoot rabbits. And that only when someone has some kind of formal agreement, such as perhaps a formal shooting lease, then they will have a right. This generally entails other resposibilities and liabilties. His emphasis is on the word "right" in its proper meaning.

I tend to agree, but some will not and will put emphasis on the word "any" and argue that "any right" therefore means that if they have shooting permission they are classed as the occupier.

Edited by Piebob

Yes, that's the info we are debating. It's not 100% clear re occupier and "any right". CharlieT will argue that granting someone permission to shoot rabbits is not the same as granting them a right to shoot rabbits. And that only when someone has some kind of formal agreement, such as perhaps a formal shooting lease, then they will have a right. This generally entails other resposibilities and liabilties. His emphasis is on the word "right" in its proper meaning.

I tend to agree, but some will not and will put emphasis on the word "any" and argue that "any right" therefore means that if they have shooting permission they are classed as the occupier.

Brilliant summing up of the debate, far better put than I could have done.

As I said previously, this matter is currently being discussed by ACPO, and anyone interested should have a read of their latest published minutes http://www.acpo.police.uk/documents/crime/2014/FELWG_27%20November%202013_Minutes.pdf and look at minuet 2.1 action note 6. It will be interesting on the ACPO/Home Office ruling that is finally published in the "guidance".

Isn't is absolutely stupid that something as serious and important as firearms law and use appears to be such a grey area and is filled with opinions rather than facts, I even emailed BASC and enquired but they refused to answer and stated that I must telephone them for a chat , if a forum full of licence holders and the BASC can't give a definitive answer nor can a firearms officer what hope do any of us have of remaining within the legal boundaries ? Maybe the BASC could campaign to clarify the laws and make them understandable and simple for everyone rather than a grey are that requires 3 pages on a forum and a telephone chat and still only offers opinions

Isn't is absolutely stupid that something as serious and important as firearms law and use appears to be such a grey area and is filled with opinions rather than facts, I even emailed BASC and enquired but they refused to answer and stated that I must telephone them for a chat , if a forum full of licence holders and the BASC can't give a definitive answer nor can a firearms officer what hope do any of us have of remaining within the legal boundaries ? Maybe the BASC could campaign to clarify the laws and make them understandable and simple for everyone rather than a grey are that requires 3 pages on a forum and a telephone chat and still only offers opinions

But it is in the process of being clarified, see my post at 41