I'm new and have some questions!

C4SPER2

Hi everyone,

I know that my questions may have already been answered before but I can't find them and I'm still getting used to the site.

I want to go camping with my girlfriend to woodland area. We have researched everything and are going to start somewhere quite easy to camp and not too far away and gradually work our way up to some more wild areas further away, but while out there, I'd like to hunt a bird and eat it as it's always been something I've wanted to do. I have heard that pigeon is one of the easiest species to catch and can be quite tasty which is why I'd like to try it.

I know how to de-breast a pigeon as I have been taught that but I'm just wondering if you have any tips on hunting them, such as what pellets to use (I have BSA .22 High Impact Interceptor in 15.43grain) and an SMK starter air rifle. It may be one of the cheaper ones but it does have some kick behind it with the BSA pellets.

I'd also love to hear some ways that other people have cooked their pigeon when out camping.

I hope I haven't rambled on too much and you understand what I'm trying to find out.

Thanks everyone,

Michael

Hello

To answer your questions .

Firstly I would think anywhere you are likely to camp " In the wild " will be owned by someone and if your are thinking of taking a gun along you will be committing armed trespass for which the penalty can be severe , if you are camping somewhere with the permission of the land owner and he has allowed you to take a gun along then of course thats fine.

Secondly , I very much doubt a smk starter gun will be suitable for live quarry, I brought my nephew one and it produces around 5-6 ft lb of energy nothing like enough to use on live quarry.

Hello

To answer your questions .

Firstly I would think anywhere you are likely to camp " In the wild " will be owned by someone and if your are thinking of taking a gun along you will be committing armed trespass for which the penalty can be severe , if you are camping somewhere with the permission of the land owner and he has allowed you to take a gun along then of course thats fine.

Secondly , I very much doubt a smk starter gun will be suitable for live quarry, I brought my nephew one and it produces around 5-6 ft lb of energy nothing like enough to use on live quarry.

Hello and thanks for your feedback.

I will be getting the land owners permission so no charges can be pressed, I want to stay within the law for obvious reasons.

I am looking at upgrading to a gas powered gun as soon as I can, so until I do so, I won't be shooting any game if you suggest not to. I don't want to harm an animal without killing it which is why I'm also practising my aim as much as possible to prevent this.

Thanks for your help.

For a gun to use in the manner you suggest a spring powered one may be a better bet, you do not want to be carting charging gear around and if a seal went on a PCP gun you are left up the creek without a paddle so to speak , something like a HW 95k would be ideal.

Nice to hear your practicing , you need to be able to put every pellet within the size of a 2p piece at the range you intend to shoot which is generally 15 - 35 yards.

Edited by fenboy

For a gun to use in the manner you suggest a spring powered one may be a better bet, you do not want to be carting charging gear around and if a seal went on a PCP gun you are left up the creek without a paddle so to speak , something like a HW 95k would be ideal.

That's interesting as I thought most people would hunt with a gas powered gun due to it being more powerful. I'll be heading to the shop next week and having a look round so hopefully pick up something then. I'm assuming that spring powered guns are cheaper? I'm only looking to spend around £300.

The guns you are talking about are powered by compressed air not gas and are know as PCP's ( pre charged pneumatics ) the legal limit for a airgun in GB is 12ft / lb , there are plenty of spring guns that are full power , but anything producing over about 10 ft / lb is ok for live quarry.

Spring guns are generally cheaper plus you do not need to purchase a pump or diving bottle to charge them.

You should be able to pick up a very nice second hand HW95 for £250- £300 to get a basic PCP and charging gear is likely to be nearer £500

A quality spring gun is great for hunting , but does take a little more practice to shoot accurately .

001_zps49bf6fb6.jpg

Edited by fenboy

Welcome to the site!

Plenty of very knowledgable people on here who I learn't a lot off. Sometimes you may ask a question and get a lot of fairly touchy responses, it's nothing personal - it's just that the guys on here really care about the sport and outsiders views on us as well as respecting the quarry. If in doubt, ask :-)

That's a good budget for a springer. If you are only doing the occasional shoot in the woods, a springer is fine. Some of the underlever ones are pretty nice. Fenboy's suggestion of a HW95 is spot on too.

Plenty of cheap springers, but more refined and balanced springers are worth their weight in gold.

I recently had a moan about springers etc... and took a royal lambasting from Kent on the matter - I have since had a few goes on a friends Weirauch and really enjoyed it! (It was just that I was using a cheapo springer in the end).

I have shot both springers and PCP's and own both Air Arms and Daystate. I have hunted with both and accounted for a large number of rabbits. I have since moved up to rimfire after gaining my FAC, a natural progression. Before you point any rifle at a living animal I always advise that the prospective hunter to practise until they can hit polo mints at 30 yds consistently to ensure a clean kill. We owe it to our prey to show respect and ensure a clean kill.

It is very true that a spring gun takes a lot more practise than a PCP due to the recoil. However if you learn to shoot a springer well then you can shoot anything. In general PCP's are much lighter, easier to shoot and don't suffer from recoil. The heavier spring gun helps to absorb the recoil but you still have to get used to it.

For your budget I would suggest either the Weirauch or have a look at the Air Arms TX 200. Both are very good guns.

• 1 month later...