Speed Control help please

Hello.
I have began a relatively easy to do project to make a Pigeon Magnet.
I arrived at the idea of using a 13.2v cordless drill that works quite happily off a 12v battery.
I have mounted it on a light cheap camera tripod centrally, made a yoke that simply fits in the chuck to fit my arms and cradle to
and it works great.
I have ran the cable through the center pole on the tripod to keep it tidy.
Once its painted up camo I think I will be more than happy.
It is light and because the tripod is telescopic in all ways it makes it really really compact.
I think a drill will work well as they are made to work under load for long periods of time although this device will never be under load.
My dilemma.....
I have tried various potentiometer controls that simply either do not work or burn out.
I even tried a house dimmer switch that did not work either.
Once I work out how to slow this down ( really nice and slow ) I think I will be more than happy with this.

I can reduce the speed by placing inline bulbs which I did to see how it would operate slow...but bulbs are not a good Idea as a permanent answer to my speed problem.

Any Ideas what I can place in-line to reduce the speed ?
I know there is magnet machine speed devices on the bay but I do not know if they will work with the drill motor as they normally slow 12v wiper motors.
Here are some very early photos to give you an idea to what I am doing.
I will post some other pics or a short vid showing it working once I sort the speed issue out.
IMAG0019_zps9491405b.jpg

IMAG0021_zps93d8e790.jpg

Have you checked the current draw?

I think it will draw a lot of current and you'll need a big battery to last all day. Us drill ate designed for short bursts, their or won't last too long in my view.

Apologies to be so negative.

I agree with cosd

It looks neat but I cannot see it lasting , the tripod also needs to be able to be fixed into the ground or it will just topple over.

Speed wise the faster the better for me , so I would not worry about trying to slow it down.

Edited by fenboy

Have you checked the current draw?

I think it will draw a lot of current and you'll need a big battery to last all day. Us drill ate designed for short bursts, their or won't last too long in my view.

Apologies to be so negative.

No its fine mate I appreciate your input !

I am not sure of the current draw BUT

I had another drill the same basically and used inline bulbs on a test bench in the shed.

I wired it up going slow with a 12v 7.5ah alarm battery connected and went out to work.

4 hours later it was still turning and I disconnected it after that.

That was a simple test to see if these drill motors would be any good with NO load and running very very slow.

At its normal speed I think it would of reached no where near the time cycle.

I think a wiper motor running at low speed like on the normal magnets that's for sale would of drained the battery in that time.

( unless I am wrong ) I am no electronics expert by far, I work on trial and error to see if stuff works.

But if I can slow this down to a nice slow tick over Its ultra compact and light as anything.

Thanks again Steve

I agree with cosd

It look neat but I cannot see it lasting , the tripod also needs to be able to be fixed into the ground or it will just topple over.

Speed wise the faster the better for me , so I would not worry about trying to slow it down.

I tried it in the garden with my mates sillosock decoys and it never attempted to go off balance.

I will run my spare drill motor tomorrow in the shed and leave it all day and see how it goes constantly going until the alarm battery goes flat.

They are not made to constantly run but my thinking was they are also made to take some stick.

Drilling masonry, stone and metal where the motor is under load ( vast load )

I will be running it with no load and hopefully a eighth to a tenth of the speed.

Fingers crossed I am right...

If I am wrong then I have a big green wheelie bin that this will fit into...LOL

I still have hope but please tell me as like I said I am no electronics expert...more of a try that and see what happens expert.

Thanks

Tried some they are working for a short time and then burn out....LOL
The modern ones are made from electronics placed on a PCB which I can not understand.
The old rovers used to have a control for the dashboard illumination lights which used to have a control....( massive switch from the rear ).
It was a big ceramic rear end that worked as a heat sink....Try finding one now ! Its Impossible .....
I am trying the car heater fan control as we speak but I am not holding any hope on this.
Hence this is why I am calling for help....... :/
Thanks Steve

Ive experimented and made a few rotarys out of drill magnets and still have a tripod one that works.

Tried many speed controls when making the magnet including ones made for rotarys, most didnt last very long as the current draw cooks them.

But the one that lasted using hypaflaps was the drill trigger itself which I removed , fitted in a plastic box and used a bolt arranged through the box to adjust the speed by putting pressure on the finger plate.

Its wise to drill some air vent holes in the drill body to help cool the motor down but in a place where rain will not get in.

BTW I now use a motor and gearbox arrangement taken from a kids toy running on 6 volt for hypaflaps, small telescopic fishing rods as arms mounted on a central spiked stem.

Cosd will remember that one as it drove him mad to this day as it clicked when going round as I had forgot to lock up an internal clutch arrangement . :lol:

Edited by deny essex

You need to try and figure out what power the motor is running at and get a Pot. rated to that wattage, that's why they are burning out. You know the Voltage, 12v so you need to know what current you are drawing, either see if anything is written on the motor, or pop a meter in line and read it, the its just P=VI. As previously mentioned the drill will be at a greater power than most car interior controls, is there not some sort of speed/power control on the drill you could bastardise?

I agree with the peeps above, the current drawn or the power rating of the motor is required to choose a suitable pot.

An idea would be to use a 6V battery... this would at least reduce the speed in a rough manner but not enable speed control

This maybe worth a punt rated to 3A continuous (again knowing the current drawn is critical)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-24V-3A-DC-Motor-Speed-Control-PWM-HHO-RC-Controller-/161076006705?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Jeff

I have made a few using the trusted windscreen motors, simply because they are robust, cheep, and have solid fixing points to come off with your ground fixings.

Regarding speed, usually the top speed on them is too fast so I use the second speed of around 40 rpm....

I have repaired several types including on my bench at the moment is a pinewood with a seized motor, 2 flappers of which I have ordered a couple of 200 rpm motors to speed them up as they look like they are in slow motion!!

From what I have found is the forces on rotary's are quite a lot, especially in strong winds and the one day you find the field blue with pigeons then the kit fails!!

How are you going to make the arms etc as they need a bit of spring in them.

TEH

I'm no electrician but like to make gadgets too.

I believe lowering the design voltage will increase current,a possible reason for blowing pot.As suggested,a dc current meter in- line will show flow of current.RS components is a good place for bits n pieces.

Motor/gearboxes off toys may be worth a look too.

Hope this helps,good luck.

Use the trigger of the drill

I have been playing around with a drill trigger but it was very sensitive, I will give a little device I found a try

It is a 12V-40V 10A Pulse Width Modulator PWM DC Motor Speed Control Switch 13KHz

Like the one in the picture ( Trial and error )

post-24081-0-48051100-1397166012_thumb.jpg

How are you going to make the arms etc as they need a bit of spring in them.

TEH

I have some fiberglass lightweight 'Slot together' tent poles. That fit nice on the Yolk I made that fits the chuck.

They are once again compact and light. I think they are perfect and look well.

I am planning on using sillosock decoys so there is really no weight in them