Have decided to give up my ticket

Harnser

After lots of soul searching I have decided to give up my ticket . I have been stalking for 50 years or so and have found it harder and harder to motivate myself to shoot deer .

I would rather watch the deer now rather than shoot them . I have vivid memories of my first buck shot with a sporterised smli .303 50 years ago .

I shall be offering a couple of rifles for sale over the next few days ,a .308 ruger m77 and a .22 Bruno . Also lots of reloading gear and ammo .

This is not a knee jerk decision ,but one that has taken me the last couple of years to decide. It must seem strange to many of you to think that some body is giving up stalking when many would like the opportunity to be able to do what I have been privilege to over the years. I have Been told that it will happen to most of us at some time or another .

Harnser.

As someone who doesn't know you - I still want to say that's a brave and admirable thing to do.
I think most stalkers have a enormous amount of respect for their quarry. Such was shown when Camokid put up that video of the idiot shooting a deer with a airgun.

If you feel that now is the time to enjoy seeing them and not shooting them, then you are doing the right thing.

Yep, you've mentioned this before, a difficult decision well made for all the right reasons - better to do it yourself than have it forced upon you.

How about spending some of the money from the sale of your kit on some fly fishing gear? Quite relaxing and gives you the opportunity to reflect back on your shooting exploits. I say this because as you'll now have more time on your hands and the potential to become bored, the last thing we need is another ****** bunker type post! :no::lol:

Yep, you've mentioned this before, a difficult decision well made for all the right reasons - better to do it yourself than have it forced upon you.

How about spending some of the money from the sale of your kit on some fly fishing gear? Quite relaxing and gives you the opportunity to reflect back on your shooting exploits. I say this because as you'll now have more time on your hands and the potential to become bored, the last thing we need is another ****** bunker type post! :no::lol:

WW2 - Like granddad in Only Fools and Horses :lol:

I have questioned myself many times on why do I shoot foxes, especially this time of year when they have dependent cubs, but when I see the carnage they cause to lambs, then I feel justified on doing it. There have been many times though, when I have watched cubs playing, or a fox has crossed a field in front on me within shooting distance, and I have just let it pass by.

I all ready fish and prefer to fish the rivers for course fish . Will proberbly have more time to think up a bunker type thread .

Harnser.

Very brave post harnser,

I question myself and feel sometimes sorry for my quarry whether it be a pricked pigeon on a rabbit that is not a clean kill

I have felt this in age and do believe it's age related.

Before scinics jump on board it's your personnel feelings that need to be taken into account not the views of others.

Atb for your future sports whatever you choose,

Delburt0.

Very brave post harnser,

I question myself and feel sometimes sorry for my quarry whether it be a pricked pigeon on a rabbit that is not a clean kill

I have felt this in age and do believe it's age related.

Before scinics jump on board it's your personnel feelings that need to be taken into account not the views of others.

Atb for your future sports whatever you choose,

Delburt0.

I shall keep my shot guns and carry on pigeon shooting .

Harnser

I can understand and appreciate that.

I like many who shoot, get as much pleasure and joy out of just getting outdoors enjoying the countryside and observing animals in their habitat as i do from shooting and eating them. I came too shooting from the odd route of previously being a vegetarian and i enjoy the connection with the land i feel when in pursuit of game. I love that when i have been out shooting i have usually always seen something that someone who spends less time out on the land may never see, hares boxing, or a solitary deer on high alert crossing a river. People marvel at the things i say i have seen when out and about, but its all there on their doorstep.

As it is, everything about shooting that encompasses my interests, Wood work, history, mechanisms, getting outdoors, filling my freezer, the social life, seeing my ferrets work, seeing people dogs work, i derive too much pleasure from it to consider giving it up but i wouldn't say it could never happen.

I wish someone controlled the deer on the land i have pest control shooting over as yearly i see one or two animals in a bad way where i would prefer to see them humanely culled than left to suffer. This over the last five years has been deer with badly legs, limping and such and deer caught up in fences, and one deer found dead with very few teeth left.

Glad to hear your keeping on with the shotguns, and fishing is always one of the most peaceful pastimes. Best of luck in your pursuits.

James.

As someone who doesn't know you - I still want to say that's a brave and admirable thing to do.

I think most stalkers have a enormous amount of respect for their quarry. Such was shown when Camokid put up that video of the idiot shooting a deer with a airgun.

If you feel that now is the time to enjoy seeing them and not shooting them, then you are doing the right thing.

Couldnt agree more. If you feel its right, then its right. Swap that rifle for camera.

Just make sure we get to see the pics hey.

Thank you all for your comments on my decision to stop stalking . I don't have a single regret about shooting deer over the years and know that I have always treated my quarry with the upmost respect . I have always culled deer in the most humane way possible by making myself a good shot with the ability to kill the deer instantly with a well placed shot .

I must admit that I was a little bit surprised that so many of you could understand my postion and had similar feelings toward the the shooting of game and vermin . Then perhaps we are just normal people with a thought for others .

Harnser.

I haven't shot deer other than as a mercy shot for 3-4 yrs. No need as there are 50 queing up cheque book in hand to shoot even the does and hinds these days, I don't shoot stuff that doesn't need shooting simple as and I have killed a lot of deer (some of which never needed a bullet if I am honest). I gave up my ticket for about 5 yrs once over as I just didn't have the time, its the correct thing to do if you aint going to use them. Deer management has changed a lot and not for the better IMO

Know a few blokes who have given up. I have a cousin over the East coast who was a bigger gun nut than me when younger, and when the handgun ban came in he handed in (and was compensated for) forty odd firearms.Says he would rather go out with his camera nowadays. He is now chairman of a local Badger watch group!

My Dad lost interest ( but was never really legit' anyhow ), and a couple of lads I know have given up, one of them saying he just can't bring himself to kill anything anymore. Fair enough.

I haven't shot deer other than as a mercy shot for 3-4 yrs. No need as there are 50 queing up cheque book in hand to shoot even the does and hinds these days, I don't shoot stuff that doesn't need shooting simple as and I have killed a lot of deer (some of which never needed a bullet if I am honest). I gave up my ticket for about 5 yrs once over as I just didn't have the time, its the correct thing to do if you aint going to use them. Deer management has changed a lot and not for the better IMO

I'm thinking similar things along the lines of chopping in the .243 for a smaller, muntjac legal, calibre. No one seems to bother about Muntjac as the effort involved in skinning and preparation is grossly outweighed by the value, or lack of it, in monetary terms. Sadly this is how many today view Fallow round these parts, and larger deer elsewhere. It's not about management, it's not even about sport, for many it seems its just about pound notes now on both sides of the fence (landowners and stalkers), they're being treated like a cash crop.

I mostly shoot the odd Muntjac for the table and where they are causing a nuisance, which means I don't shoot many at all and a .222 or .223 will do the job just as well and will also provide a more than adequate foxing round too.

The most enjoyment I'm getting at the moment is from pigeon shooting and I never thought I would say that as the shotgun barely got a look in in years. Good luck to you Harnser, there's more to life than shooting for sure!