Have decided to give up my ticket

Harnser

When you start off without an inch of land to shoot, just to have an orchard with a few rabbits on it seems a dream. Time goes on and dreams become reality until you seldom reflect back to the early days as you sweat your pants off dragging a fallow buck up a steep wooded hillside. As much as I love my hunting I can never retrieve the feeling of the very first deer and it all just starts to feel a little watered down and hard work. I know that I will be doing the same as you Harnser in the not so distant future, just the other day I was carrying a Roe doe, and not very far yet the back starting to twinge. Sat in me shed tying a fly ready to lazily stroll down to the river in the early evening seems more and more appealing as the days go by. If I didn't like venison it would be a trout diet already. Sure its the right decision for you Harnser and no doupt you will find time to keep up the informative posts, get yourself a laptop with your gun sales and then you can wack a few posts up while your waiting for that pike to pick up the dead bait.

Good luck I'm sure you've thought it through.

I'm on exactly the opposite end of the spectrum, just got my first permission and am hugely excited about starting my stalking career after wanting to for 8 years.

If you can put your brain up for sale in the classified section I could do with the experience and wisdom it contains! Seriously though, if you have any books or kit that will help a starter out let me know what you want for them, I'm keen to start 'right'.

After lots of soul searching I have decided to give up my ticket . I have been stalking for 50 years or so and have found it harder and harder to motivate myself to shoot deer .

I would rather watch the deer now rather than shoot them . I have vivid memories of my first buck shot with a sporterised smli .303 50 years ago .

I shall be offering a couple of rifles for sale over the next few days ,a .308 ruger m77 and a .22 Bruno . Also lots of reloading gear and ammo .

This is not a knee jerk decision ,but one that has taken me the last couple of years to decide. It must seem strange to many of you to think that some body is giving up stalking when many would like the opportunity to be able to do what I have been privilege to over the years. I have Been told that it will happen to most of us at some time or another .

Harnser.

Totally understand your feelings , I rarely shoot anything more than clays now , sold my last centrefire rifle ten years back and shooting rifle only on target now , just love watching wild life or photographing it now .

Good luck I'm sure you've thought it through.

I'm on exactly the opposite end of the spectrum, just got my first permission and am hugely excited about starting my stalking career after wanting to for 8 years.

If you can put your brain up for sale in the classified section I could do with the experience and wisdom it contains! Seriously though, if you have any books or kit that will help a starter out let me know what you want for them, I'm keen to start 'right'.

Depends on what calibre you have .I have all the loading gear for .308 and a bucket full of ammo and 4 0r 5 hundred bullets of various weights .

Harnser.

Depends on what calibre you have .I have all the loading gear for .308 and a bucket full of ammo and 4 0r 5 hundred bullets of various weights .

Harnser.

Sadly I'm just about to start the application process so I expect it to take some time.

I gave up my FAC about two weeks ago. Not because I really wanted to, but because I'm about to start a job that'll see me away from home for most of the year.

I enjoyed stalking on my own time when I had the permission - I hated most experiences outside of it. I sustenance shot a couple of does a year to keep the herd to a fair number, I rarely visited the game dealer and ate most of it myself. I honestly enjoyed seeing them about, I had names for both the bucks and a couple of the more colourful does.

Someone bought the stalking permission off the farmer, he shot the lot (as they where fairly tame) and left.

I haven't shot a deer since that whole bitter experience.

Edited by Bleeh

After lots of soul searching I have decided to give up my ticket . I have been stalking for 50 years or so and have found it harder and harder to motivate myself to shoot deer .

I would rather watch the deer now rather than shoot them . I have vivid memories of my first buck shot with a sporterised smli .303 50 years ago .

I shall be offering a couple of rifles for sale over the next few days ,a .308 ruger m77 and a .22 Bruno . Also lots of reloading gear and ammo .

This is not a knee jerk decision ,but one that has taken me the last couple of years to decide. It must seem strange to many of you to think that some body is giving up stalking when many would like the opportunity to be able to do what I have been privilege to over the years. I have Been told that it will happen to most of us at some time or another .

Harnser.

I know exactly where your coming from, have been thinking for the last year about giving up my fac ticket, buying a woodland with full sporting rights, yet I've shot one squirrel, as all the other shooting I do is with a camera

I gave up my FAC about two weeks ago. Not because I really wanted to, but because I'm about to start a job that'll see me away from home for most of the year.

I enjoyed stalking on my own time when I had the permission - I hated most experiences outside of it. I sustenance shot a couple of does a year to keep the herd to a fair number, I rarely visited the game dealer and ate most of it myself. I honestly enjoyed seeing them about, I had names for both the bucks and a couple of the more colourful does.

Someone bought the stalking permission off the farmer, he shot the lot (as they where fairly tame) and left.

I haven't shot a deer since that whole bitter experience.

Some people just can't help themselves...it's all about killing for some not deer management or for the table..

Its apparent that you still love to get out even to watch deer.Why dont you put your stalking skills to good use and shoot them with a camera.You can get a nice camera with the sale of your guns.Good luck.

ATB

Dave

+1 and the results can be spectacular! Good luck in whatever you do.