ford ranger is killing me to run on white diesel

secret-squirrel

Hi lads

I have a 2005 55 plate Ford ranger 2.5 diesel (99-2006) all the same engine I believe . And as most no 24-28mpg MAX .

I can get cherry but I'm mot willing to risk it .

Any ideas on bio diesel / cooking oil . If I can run this truck on this fuel ?

I'm in Nottingham any local places to buy quality fuals And any other solutions .

greatly appreciated

Thanks Ben

Edited by secret-squirrel

If you can't afford it get rid no point in moaning it does what it says on the tin...

Buy a fiesta just don't go shooting over a ploughed field In it..

This thread had all been read wrong . Ye it may sound like I'm moaning . But so must every other person with a truck . That pays £1.38 per litre of white. . Otherwise no one would use bio diesel if whey one was happy . All I want to know is my 2.5 Ltr ford engine good to run on biodiesel or veg oil .

Come on guys this bloke only asked can he run on anything cheaper no one wants to know about your car, your opinion .The simple answer is what he wants and regarding the comment about LPG go back to school ! it's PETROL ENGINES that can be run on LPG ITS NOT IMPOSSABLE WITH A DIESEL I KNOW but involves removing the engine machineing the pistons ,cylinder head etc and fixing magnets in the flywheel which would be expensive

I would say as long as the engine is not a common rail Diesel engine you would be ok with veg oil but I have no idea what engine that truck runs

Please give advise or nothing thanks

Deershooter

I have the same ranger / engine but 2004 and I get 28 /30 back and too to work put some injector cleaner in the tank as you might have one or more injectors that are not atomizing the fuel correctly I work on hgvs as a fitter have done for 30 odd years I don't like putting anything but bp fuel in mine

Hope this helps

I would say as long as the engine is not a common rail Diesel engine you would be ok with veg oil but I have no idea what engine that truck runs

Please give advise or nothing thanks

Deershooter

as above, check compatability of your fuel pump and I'm sure there will be a website about rangers and veg oil

Thanks for all the usefull replies . Is there any way of 100% being sure it is the correct fuel pump to be compatable with oil . Thanks Paul 223 . What would reccommend chip oil ? (Used or new) or veg oil? And you say 50 /50 . I'd probably use 60 diesel/ 40 ... ? Just to be on the safe side . And engine oil change every 6k? Thanks

Thanks for all the usefull replies . Is there any way of 100% being sure it is the correct fuel pump to be compatable with oil . Thanks Paul 223 . What would reccommend chip oil ? (Used or new) or veg oil? And you say 50 /50 . I'd probably use 60 diesel/ 40 ... ? Just to be on the safe side . And engine oil change every 6k? Thanks

I'll check the pump specs when I'm at the laptop next

Just a quick update . Wow I did the maths wrong . Put 40 litres in last friday . And fuel light came on . On the way to work . Iv done 152 miles . So working this out correctly !!!! 40 litres would be 8.8 UK gallons. Which is 17mpg !!!! And like iv said before I don't thrash it at all . Barely go over 55 ! Surely this is not right ? Help needed please

Have you got a problem with the engine coking up if you have driven steady for a long period of time. I mechanic told me to "thrash" the car once a month to clear out the soot.... but i am not an expert.

Hmm maybe . I have only owned the truck for a month . And I don't fancy hefty repair bills so thought I'd try drive this a bit steadyer than my previous cars. But the fuel bill is going to be ridiculous if this is what mpg I'm going to get . Yes I no a truck is a truck and you should never expect 35-40 mpg . But 17 is way too low surely I have issues somewere (Its just been serviced as well)

Edited by secret-squirrel

Sounds like it is in 4 wheel drive. 17 mpg would be about right.

Make sure it is in two wheel drive high range and you should get around 24 to 27 mpg.

Thanks for the replies . It's 100% in 2 wheel drive you know when it's in 4wd as it hates turning tight turns .

And I know it's low but I don't know what to try and do to sort this out . I ahave found someone who gets bio diesel local to me . It stil £1.10. A litre . Yes it's cheaper but that doesn't get round the fact that my truck is the most uneconomical ranger any one has heard off . Tyres at at the right pressure . Serviced . Clean air filter . If I blankbthe EGR I'm guessing it would be even less economical ? . Remove the cat/filter (please don't lecture me about m.o.ts this is purely a thread about economy). Thanks lads

if its running a bosch type fuel pump you'll be ok, if its a lucas type pump dont do it.

I run my toyota on veg oil, 100% in summer, she keeps on

trucking just fine.

I wish I could of afforded hilux . But nowni have a ranger . Maybe a bad compromise if I can't find out why it's running so low mpg . I may as well of bought a impreza sti and used that for shooting and green Laning . Haha .

No black smoke at all . On start up in a morning . A small amount of grey smoke but that's expected I guess . It pulls like a train when I test drove it . And It got up to 70mph easily would probably be good for 90 I'd say. But thats not a issue the fuel consumption is . So the only thing that is stopping me running on veg oil . Waste or new is the fuel pump ?