Getting My Mojo Back!

Herr Plinker

Well after sitting in the hide the other week and knowing that each shot counted as there were very few birds about I managed to miss two sitters - "whats going wrong" again and again went through my head. Only one thing to do and that was to go and see a coach to find out what I was doing wrong as it was not the gun or the birds fault. So I got hold of Terry (Bakerboy) down at A1 Shooting (less than a mile off the M25 off the A1 heading south) for some needed coaching.

Well today I got up, excited of what was to come, and headed down to see Terry. After a nice cup of tea in a well stocked and comfortable 'lodge' we started off with gun fit, I had brought both my OU and Semi and all was OK there for both guns, no adjustments required. Next onto eye dominance. This is where I think I have googled too much in the past and after being told I had 'central vision' and then on a second 'test' was 70% right eye dominance I ended up with all manner of tech over the last couple of years to try and sort this out (what I was trying to sort out God only knows). After talking to Terry though it became clear I was around 90% right eye dominance and we would try without the tape, magnets, dots and see how we go. It was also good to understand what the person doing the test is looking at when you point your finger or raise your unloaded gun mounted.

So we headed out onto the layout and start at a stand with slowish left to right and straight away, "pull" miss, "pull" miss, this felt familiar........ So bit by bit Terry started to create the jigsaw pieces (sorry for stealing that phrase Terry but it was spot on) and we moved on and clays stared to break. From gun mount to lead to sight picture to foot placement to body rotation all the little elements when you piece them together ended up with hits and therefore confidence. We moved around the stands and added a new piece of the puzzle to the overall jigsaw. The eureka moments were around getting the mount just right, barrel not too high and stock just far enough back therefore making the mounting of it more natural and with less effort. The sight picture was the other key piece. Don't get me wrong I'm just restarting the journey again and this as everyone on here knows never finishes and no one is the finished article. And as far as the eye dominance was concerned in the end all I needed to do was close my left eye just before taking the shot.

Terry was great and his way of explaining everything and making it make sense was fantastic. Terry obviously loves what he does down at A1 as he just ouses the right level of confidence in you and that wears off onto you. I am so glad I went there today and spent and hour or so with him and the guys and gals at A1. A warm and welcoming place that I will be going to again if for no other reason but to practice and not forget what I guess some may take for granted.

All the best Terry and catch up soon.

Vince.

PS - Phil and Claudio, its was good to see you again.

That was an excellent write up and I'm really pleased you found it useful; COnfidence is half the battle and you definitely sound like you have a spring in your step again!

I'd recommend Terry to anyone with no hesitation for every reason not just his coaching ability.

Looking forward to seeing you put it into practice in the hide now.

Well done Vince and thanks again to Terry!!