Carrying on a bike or quad

Seen someone today in the countryside on a quad, gunslip on his back. Don`t know what the police opinion on this? Can I do this from the city heading out to the farm? I mean the gun is visible (even in a gunbag) to the public, we supposed to carry it in the boot of the car as far as I know...Or am i wrong?So, can i go with a bike and a gun? Is this safe, legal? Any advice on this,pls?

Used to go to my permission on my M/bike ,f/officer said the practice was frowned upon in case i came of the bike as that would leave it open to be stolen but according to him not illegal ,and i still do it every so often if the dogs in season. Think we/they are going OTT regards the public knowing we have a gun/rifle in a gunbag/slip, is that not where its supposed to be when not being used?.mine is too big to fit in a guitar case and anyway with cammo gear on would look rather hippy.

johnnie

Edited by AULD YIN

I've taken my shotgun on my motorbike when the car wouldn't start, I did break into two pieces and fold the slip in half then put it in a rucksack but it was still pretty obvious what it was. Not sure about the increased likelihood of the gun being nicked if in a crash vs the same in a car being a biggie other than the boot of the car keeping it out of sight until you get rear ended and the boot pops open - then all bets are off

I've taken my shotgun on my motorbike when the car wouldn't start, I did break into two pieces and fold the slip in half then put it in a rucksack but it was still pretty obvious what it was. Not sure about the increased likelihood of the gun being nicked if in a crash vs the same in a car being a biggie other than the boot of the car keeping it out of sight until you get rear ended and the boot pops open - then all bets are off

Pointed out to the FO that i drove a s3 landrover without anti burst doors and locks you could open with a kirby grip and lastly no boot,at least on the bike it never left my person even if i did a header in a crash.

johnnie

just add, had my net and shell deeks on the bike as well,handy just drove to where i wanted to put the hide,bike on side stand ,net over it ,put decoys out and sit behind the bike,, with heat as well from the engine.

Edited by AULD YIN

there is no issue with a shotgun in a slip on show as long as you have a reason to have it with you (as in you cannot just have it as a clothing accessory). To be fair you can have a shotgun without a slip on the bike on the road if you had good reason (from one section of land to another say), commuting in from the town might certainly create issues without one sans slip though!. Having guns out of slips in racks is now often said to break "reasonable precautions" yet nothing has changed in law as far as I know and it was done frequently not too long back in time.

The law relating to airguns is however different, they now need to be in a slip unless in authorised use

there is no issue with a shotgun in a slip on show as long as you have a reason to have it with you (as in you cannot just have it as a clothing accessory). To be fair you can have a shotgun without a slip on the bike on the road if you had good reason (from one section of land to another say), commuting in from the town might certainly create issues without one sans slip though!. Having guns out of slips in racks is now often said to break "reasonable precautions" yet nothing has changed in law as far as I know and it was done frequently not too long back in time.

The law relating to airguns is however different, they now need to be in a slip unless in authorised use

So, inside town on my mbike in a slip. is that ok? Won`t I have armed police on me?

Won`t I have armed police on me?

The police don't make the laws and if the gun is cased it's really nothing to do with them. They can 'frown' upon it all they want and whilst I don't advocate antagonising the police, you can carry a cased gun any way you like as long as it's safe.

There are gunshops in many town centres across the country and sometimes you have to park several hundred yards away and walk to the shop with a gun in a slip. I've done it a good few times and have yet to experience any issue from either the public or police.

I had to take my Shotgun on a Bus a few weeks ago as it was in for repair. The female Bus driver asked what it was on my back, I told he is was a fishing rod as I couldnt be bothered with the hassle of her pulling the 'Health and Safety' Card.

If its in a slip, you're OK. A guy cycles past my house with a gun in a slip, I'd love to know where he is going!!

I had to take my Shotgun on a Bus a few weeks ago as it was in for repair. The female Bus driver asked what it was on my back, I told he is was a fishing rod as I couldnt be bothered with the hassle of her pulling the 'Health and Safety' Card.

If its in a slip, you're OK. A guy cycles past my house with a gun in a slip, I'd love to know where he is going!!

I guy in tamworth was dragged off the bus by police recently as my ex work man told me.

He was sat there with it in a case/slip when the police pulled the bus over and dragged the man off the bus

My feo said its not against any laws but he suggested getting a slip that took the shotty in two bits

If some tree hugging lentil sucker rings plod about people with guns out and about they will have a look

Is it worth the bother of getting stopped ?

Sorry, You are confusing me. So on a bike in a slip near your house is not Ok, anywhere else in town ok? Can You explain, pls?

Edited by londonercsecse

My feo said its not against any laws but he suggested getting a slip that took the shotty in two bits

If some tree hugging lentil sucker rings plod about people with guns out and about they will have a look

Is it worth the bother of getting stopped ?

So, just thinking: If i take the gun to 2 parts and conceal it in a golfbag or musical instrument case on my back, is that reasonable, ok? Or a stupid idea? My worry is crossing town....Thx