Elbow dysplasia, gutted!

stuart21

I have a 2.5 year old lab and his training has come on quite well, however, last October he started to limp and after a few days it settled down, but recently it started again, so I took him to the vet.

After being x rayed, the vet has confirmed he has mild elbow dysplasia in both elbows and has suggested monitoring it for the time being.

I have spoken to people whose dogs have been operated on with success, but also people who just manage it by moderating excercise an painkillers. What really shocked me was that the vet told me that up to 70% of labs are affected by this at some stage of their life, but most put it down to arthritis.

I am going to take the advice of the vet, but wanted to see if anyone has been or is in a similar situation with their dog and how you have managed it.

Elbows are becoming the bigger issue many think, we have or should have been hip testing for long enough to seriously reduce the genetic tendency towards bad hips. 0 scores are being achieved now. My own lab has a 0/1 score on one side of his parentage as regards elbows and this is far worse than it might appear on the numbers compared to hips (which are very good both sides). Even score on left and right is said to be very important on elbows and like I say the numbers being lower don't mean the problem is less a score of 1 / 2 on hips is great the same on elbows is very bad

The vet has no supportable proof of this 70% statement though so take it as it was most likely meant and don't let it stop you and your dog getting on with things