Pigeon flapper

Davyo

Thanks lads but i want it scaled down, w motors i have used to make rotaries but will be to bulky & heavy for a flapper.Plus want to use small battery as does the shop bougt flappers,will a w motor use more power???

Edited by Davyo

Thanks lads but i want it scaled down, w motors i have used to make rotaries but will be to bulky & heavy for a flapper.Plus want to use small battery as does the shop bougt flappers,will a w motor use more power???

Sorry! Misunderstood your post! Have you thought about motors from electric RC cars?

I got a replacement flapper motor from UK Shoot Warehouse a couple of years ago, might be worth a phone call.

Looking to keep cost to sub £20 for the whole build, the build is easy as already have the other components.Like others say I could use a window wiper motor (going to put one on test to see how long it will run on a 12v 1.3ah battery)also want rpm around 300/400rpm and havent checked out rpm on a w motor yet.The motors used for models seem to be the thing and have managed today to find UK retailer for under £7.00.

Just drew up plan, waiting for the motor, will post you pic as soon as comp.We opened up a turbo flapper last night and the workings are a doddle to replicate.But after looking at the ff4 I am going to make it just like the ff4 but with out the heavy steel cradle (sub £15.00) excluding the battery £5.00 and the timer £10.00.I was intending to buy a flapper but the price is stupid.I also asked for advise on the decoying equipment section re buying, but got little advise and a full blown(the usual)argument has developed over the ff4.

Edited by Davyo

I know what you mean, madness!

I've never been close to a flapper so don't have a clue as to how they work although I have had a few ideas in my head as to how it's done.

There are a lot of motors out there on the market, how have you chosen which one to use?

I'd love to see the results and have a go myself.

Bw

Edited by Bogwoppit

I know what you mean, madness!

I've never been close to a flapper so don't have a clue as to how they work although I have had a few ideas in my head as to how it's done.

There are a lot of motors out there on the market, how have you chosen which one to use?

I'd love to see the results and have a go myself.

Bw

Just 12v dc with min 300rpm,just the same as the ones used on the turbo and the ff4,you can get them as cheap as 2.99 if buying bulk.Then you have to fork out for a battery & timer.I can make 3 of them for under £90 inc battery and timer( not knocking the ff4 as its a great robust peice of kit, probably the best on the market quality wise) but like the others I find very pricey based on the fact that no timer or battery is included.

Quick plan attached,basically an ff4 with a body spike rather than a cradle (I only use dead birds).Just dont skimp on the steel, I am going for10mm solid bar for the main bar with 25mm x5mm flat bar for stake/foot plate.The motor inside a 16mm steel tube with 20mm left at the back to drill a 10mm hole through and insert the rod before a couple of spot welds.The body spike will be 5mm & the wing bar being 3mm.The wing bars will be detachable from the motor to make it easy to fit the wings before fixing to the gearing.

Total cost for materials £19.47,with steel left over for a 2 more, cost of second and 3rd£8.14 each

3x timers £30

3x batteries £17.99

Total cost to make 3 with timers and batteries £83.72

£27.90 each including timer and battery

£12.00 without timer & battery.

Thats a massive saving, the cheapest flapper I have seen is £49.99 without a battery.

post-30855-0-21105200-1397583726_thumb.jpg

Edited by Davyo

Did you manage to source the motor in the UK .......

Slow boat from china,for the price they are worth a shot.If it dont show in 20days I have a uk supplier.I have knocked one up just waiting for the motor.Got a lof of military nat green paint left of painting the motor so the finish is sorted.

post-30855-0-63865800-1397678899_thumb.jpg

post-30855-0-65303600-1397678913_thumb.jpg

Edited by Davyo

Pigeon sits nice and sturdy, still waiting on motors.I tried it today buy using a cordless drill shoved through the tube with a rod and gearing on and it worked great.Even give it some full speed punishment (bird lost a few feathers I can tell ya) but everything stayed in place.

post-30855-0-23080800-1397942757_thumb.jpg

post-30855-0-18876400-1397942774_thumb.jpg

Mk2,well the motors on the slow boat took only 1 week.Decided to change the design to make it lighter. Tested today and it works a treat, total cost to build including a timer and battery £21.15.Held in vice for picture but it has an angle iron ground spike. Tomorrow I am going to put it on an 8hr test run.(need to get a couole of spades for the wires to the timer)

Additional ones will cost me £19.15 including a battery and timer.

post-30855-0-21833400-1398545924_thumb.jpg

post-30855-0-08592400-1398548388_thumb.jpg

post-30855-0-54876200-1398548399_thumb.jpg

Edited by Davyo

Cant help it evo, those crow decoys I copied of your work a treat by the way,made 26 for about £12.Same as these flappers they cost a lot less than the shop ones.One thing I have learnt doing this build is how much we are getting ripped off .I ordered a Uk motor at £11.99,and the one from China identical right down to the serial numbers.The China one cost £6.00.The motor I use on the flapper id a small unit I can get for £3.50.Oh,by the way the NV units still going great and doing the bizz.

Edited by Davyo