novice green-laning in nottingham and surrounding area

secret-squirrel

Like a few of you will no . Iv not long had a Ford ranger . With no real mods. Looking to start doing a bit of greenlaning on the weekends ..I'm in south notts 10 min away from j24 of m1 . Help needed On any good cheap mods needed to get over the rough stuff . Iv done a lot of offraod driviNg around my mates farm . But never owned a 4x4 . Saw the opportunity and bought one . Is there any special maps or any good advise you lads can give me . Thanks in advance .

Morning SS, take a look at some of the Landrover forums, they have specific sections on Green laning. The most important thing is to stay legal and go in pairs.

If you are not sure about a section of lane, walk it first. Slow down and/or stop for Riders and Walkers.

Some of the Landrover magazines also print maps for Green laning. Only mods I would recommend are sump and diff/steering protectors.

Cheers keg . I'm pretty sure it already has dif & sump guards . I will take a look later to make sure . And iv tried looking on the net at a few forums . But as I'm so new to it some of the words mean nothing to me . Basically my understanding is . I'm taxed and tested and insured therefore meaning I can drive on any road or by way in u.k And that "green lanes" are byways . So all I'm thinking is find some by ways and drive down them. Iv got a pal in a l200 to go with . Just looking for some weekend fun . If my understanding is wrong or I'm just being a idiot trying to do something like this . Please just tell me . :)

A good mod is a good set of off road tyres and a winch as you never know.

Depend on how bad teh green lanes are. Oh and be perpered to get funny looks and antis on you. Whilst it is fine alot of people dont know the laws etc.

As Keg said, if it looks like it can be ripped off or broke get it protected.

Michael

Cheers Michael . Your a local lad do you have anywere for a bit of offroading in mind . Or do you green lane yourself ?? And Yes at the minute I just had sortov standard tyres . There "good ride su 307 awd " to be honest was brilliant when I was being a nuscence up the farm in the dry. They never lost traction . What tyres would any one recommend I do around 30 mile a day on the road city driving. And one more thing . A winch never looked into it would I need a new bumper or any mods what sort of weight limit winch would people recommend ? For my truck . Thanks again Ben

The best advise is get a set of AT Tyres, my preference is BF Goodrich. The last pair I had were great on the road and green laning. Loads of people prefer mud tyres but IMHO while out Green Laning if you need Mud tyres you should ask if you should be on the lane at those conditions.

The best thing to do is buy the Ordinance Survey map of the area, personally I prefer the Explorer (orange) to the Landranger (pink). As far as I can remember there are some nice lanes near the Bottesford bypass A52, you turn past a pub I think its called Muston Gap and that takes you round past Belvoir Castle.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Moors Man

The best advise is get a set of AT Tyres, my preference is BF Goodrich. The last pair I had were great on the road and green laning. Loads of people prefer mud tyres but IMHO while out Green Laning if you need Mud tyres you should ask if you should be on the lane at those conditions.

The best thing to do is buy the Ordinance Survey map of the area, personally I prefer the Explorer (orange) to the Landranger (pink). As far as I can remember there are some nice lanes near the Bottesford bypass A52, you turn past a pub I think its called Muston Gap and that takes you round past Belvoir Castle.

Hope this helps.

Thanks mate I will look into those tyres. And iv seen some seriosLy beefy tyres but I assume would be terrible on the road . And I'm not going to a off road course or any crazy 2ft deep mud slush holes Like i say just looking for some nice green lanes . Cheers for your help on those ordanance maps

Have a look for some old copies of Total Off-road Magazine - they have routes in every month - there will have been a few listed in your area.

BFG A/T's are excellent !

Is there anywhere I could find these old copies? Thanks

HTH

E8ay - they have a website too where you can order old copies ;)

In need of a new tyre or 2 anyway because my tracking is out (gettin sorted tommorow) on the front right so it has worn to 2.8mm on the inside and it still on 4mm on the outside . The front passenger is on 5mm so in need of at least one asap ! "I have a ad in the WANTED section if any one can help . 265/70/15

Edited by secret-squirrel

The car mods are covered, but you also need to pack some extra kit. I recommend a large bow saw and a portable winch, some green lanes are impossible to turn around in and sometimes get blocked by fallen trees or burned out vehicles.

I have a small stihl tree saw so that covered hmm portable winch u say . I will maybe have to look into it . I have heard that ""Vikings way"" over Melton Mowbray is a good place to start out . Any extra info greatly appreciated

http://bywaymap.com/index.html

Found this little gem !!! I seriously recommend using this website . Iv been out this afternoon and done a few of the small ones local to me . I got a few funny looks but at the end of the day it's all legal .

I definitely need to get a portable winch and a couple of inch of lift on the ranger tho :).

Any ideas / suggestions ?

http://bywaymap.com/index.html

Found this little gem !!! I seriously recommend using this website . Iv been out this afternoon and done a few of the small ones local to me . I got a few funny looks but at the end of the day it's all legal .

I definitely need to get a portable winch and a couple of inch of lift on the ranger tho :).

Any ideas / suggestions ?

It might well be legal, but here`s a question I always wanted the answer to , who pays to fix the tracks after you have torn them up, is there a fund you can contribute towards. or do you just go home and forget about the damage.?

It might well be legal, but here`s a question I always wanted the answer to , who pays to fix the tracks after you have torn them up, is there a fund you can contribute towards. or do you just go home and forget about the damage.?

Good point . Me personnally I go home but I don't forget about the new lane . I plan to do them again . All I can say is my friend has miles of tracks on his farm land to be honest there a lot better than any byway I have drove on yet . But I am bored of driving on them now .so I thought time to buy a legal 4x4 and get down some green lanes . It's the same scenary on his land. His tracks have tractors/trailers. 4x4's . Tipper /skip wagons. They now also have a lot of heavy plant going down a big section of his track to and from a road widening operation . And. No matter How wet it gets they never seem to get rutty or torn up . I'm no expert but maybe that is because they are used to it after maybe 50 years of vehicle use . Edited by secret-squirrel