Design Tech controlled assessment!

double10

Hi all,

I'm doing a GCSE in DT next year and this term I need to do a controlled assessment (basically make something that solves a problem for a client, which also helps a general user group)

Anyways, I've narrowed down the fields for which I could make something to the home/professional kitchen or something shooting related. For the kitchen there are obviously a host of options i.e. an aesthetically pleasing way of storing knives etc. but for shooting I'd like to hear what problems you have that could be solved with 30hr (work time) project. Can involve wood, plastics, metals anything really and we have machinery for vacuum forming, welding, lathe, cnc router etc.

cheers

ps: thinking some sort of extendable shooting stick, no ideas really!

Hi.

I'm a D&T teacher.

I presume you're in yr10 and this is a 'mock ' controlled assessment in prep for your final coursework next year ?

Any help I can give you please ask.

As an idea start with a mind map and think of everything shooting related. Try and get hold of catalogues from bush wear etc and look at the sportsman gun centre / uttings web pages. Don't try to reinvent the wheel.

A stand for guns to lean against a wall, already exists but can be developed? Can easily be tested and feedback recorded from any clay ground, photos of guys / girls testing your product out is worth it's weight in gold.

Storage of cartridges or bullets

Target stand

Choke case

Tool box

Gun cabinet stand

Game carrier

Wellie hook

Boot Jack

Just a few suggestions.

Edited by markm

The pigeon shooters carry lots of gear in exciting and often appallingly bad manual handling techniques, maybe something modular to transport all that gear over fields but with another use at the other end ie carry poles becoming hide poles? Or maybe some of the kit already used but improved or added to ie flappers, whirlies etc

It's a long time since I did my design exams but if it's still the same it's often more about the process than the actual idea, finding a problem, evaluating the possible solutions and creating your solution

Good luck though, there's a few very rich people from good ideas in these circumstances

thanks for the tips :good:

I have already done a mock this year (yes I am in year 10) so I'm not sure if we'll already begin making the real thing this year or if we're just preparing for it.

Teacher only told us a few days ago that we need to find our client, user group, design brief etc by the end of this week and write it all up, and I'm still too indecisive to have managed it all yet, more run parallel documents for both shooting and cooking.

Yes the process is more important I believe as our teacher showed us a lamp that a student was expected to get A* for at A level and although it was indeed a very simple and easy design to make, it involved 4 different materials, laminating, router, adhesives etc.

could talk to my local clay club perhaps and see if they need a gun stand in the actual stands as often I find I'm juggling all sorts and a rest on the bench surface in front would be appreciated.

or perhaps a wooden stand inside cabinets that can be adjusted for wider/narrower models?

Is your exam through AQA and are you doing Resist Mat or Prod Des?

PS - what you are doing now is really good research. Speaking to potential clients to identify a problem.

Use this as part of your investigation work. (Slightly edited of course)

I did something similar (we had 6 hours, rather than 30. Couldn't leave the room all day, all very boring.) when I did my GCSE in Res Mat. Did PD at A level and currently doing Furniture and product design at Uni so feel free to drop me a message. I may not be able to help with exam style and things but you can run ideas by me. Have plenty of years of design education behind me as well as working with industrial clients on live projects.

I always thought a gun rest which grabs the gun would be good, like guitar stands do. The weight of the gun on the bottom pulls a mechanism which closes the grip at the top.

Have fun whatever you do :)

+1 like this idea! You always hear of people having there pride and joy knocked out of a gun stand. It's why I avoid using them if I can.

was too thinking of a gun stand, however I've never been decoying so don't know how much space etc you have in a hide...

aluminium rods for lightweight strength to make the frame (folding of course) and a rest at the bottom for the butt, with some sort of clip for the barrels higher up. paint it matt black or green rather than shiny aluminium, and also wide feet on the bottom for muddy/wet conditions.

sound alright?

Yea sounds good, just go look in a music shop, there are stands for guitars where te weight of the guitar on the lower support causes the top support to close around the guitar and hold it in. Lift it slightly the top grip opens to release. Perhaps not great for the hide, for quickly grabbing the gun, but great for clay grounds etc. but you could always have a catch to slide on it which could lock out the grip mechanism??

My 3 bits of advice are; 1. listen to Markm - he's a teacher an knows what you need to do to get a good grade. 2. keep it simple but do it well. 3. 30 hours isn't much time so start with an area you know well (so avoid anything to do with decoying!).

Good luck

Hi

Just a idea how about something to clean your shotgun on

places for it to rest when broken down

And contain all the oil dirt ect so it doesn't go all over the kitchen table

Non slip would be good

All the best

Of

Available for £15 in shops........ Called a cleaning matt........

Child safe knife block sounds interesting I am thinking electro magnets and a pin pad

Available for £15 in shops........ Called a cleaning matt........

Child safe knife block sounds interesting I am thinking electro magnets and a pin pad

Was thinking more like the ones used for rifles

With trays for bits and pieces

Designed to take a double barrel and hold it firm enough to push a rod through

Also to hold stock at sensible angle to get in there and give it a good polish and clean

Note the OP asked for ideas by giving a few he can pick from many

All the best

Of

Edit

Also think disabled shooter try cleaning a gun with one hand

Edited by Old farrier

There's unoriginal and then there's out right copying. If someone were to google your concept and find a product that was near identical with ease, then I expect (and hope) there would be a drop in marks. Being totally original is hard, but doing your research is not. Good research is the basis of good design.

The one at school is not very similar to the hamilton one, its an actual gun slip with the alu rods inside the case, don't see it actually working tbh but I guess he'll meet the problems when he does. The concept of his design is obviously copied but it looks like he's tried to change the physical design of the project enough that isn't quite the same thing.