Anyone made Nettle beer?

rtaylor

I've got a recipe in a brewing book for nettle beer. Very cheep to make so I thought I'd give it a go. It is currently fermenting and should be ready to bottle tomorrow or the next day.

Has anyone tried this and what was the result?

I had a taste before I pitched the yeast in and it tasted pretty ropey. The book says it can be drunk after 2 days of bottling but gets better with age. If it's still similar to how it was then I can't see it being very palatable, and I can't really see it changing much in 5 days. Unless I've cocked the recipe up.

If it was nice we would all be drinking it. I've made some, I won't bother again. It was just about drinkable, quite distinctive but definately had that vegetation smell and taste which wasn't overly appealing. I have considered trying to dry the leaves first but life's too short.

It could have improved with age (perhaps 6 months to a year) but I only made 1 demijon of it and the 'experimental tastings' made short work on it.

Definately worth a go just to satisfy your curiosity but don't get your hopes up.

Edit: it would taste better if you added some non fermentable sugars at bottling as it was very dry.

Edited by FalconFN

• 2 weeks later...

Just tried some of the nettle beer. It's been in the bottle for about 10 days.

Pretty rubbish and won't bother again. Mine seemed to have a very distinct taste and a slightly soapy aftertaste.

I'll leave the bottles and try it again in maybe 6 months.

I'll still try some other hedgerow brews and have hope in my gorse flower wine but I'll leave the nettle beer.