best time to shoot rabbits

rubyred

I've been hitting them recently with the silenced 410 from the Landrover at night. They always appear more confident at night, only problem being that too much lamping or vehicle noise seems to educate them after a short time. Unfortunately I don't have FAC with NV, which would to be the best option.

With odd exceptions I have always found first thing in the morning they are more active. In the days when I went out lamping "all night" rabbits went back for a rest or whatever in the coldest part of the night (around 2-4 am in spring summer) not all just most seemed to retire. We have rabbits on the lawns most mornings here but rarely in the evening at dusk, this might be because we are making more noise in the house but I am not so sure because us having breakfast and showering etc has little effect.

On another note I have shot a lot of foxes at dawn and most of those I have shot in the evening are over bait I recon. Caught more trout in the evening and more Salmon in the morning, just consider the local factors hence my mention of fish and foxes.

What with ??? Air rifle, 22lr 17hmr

Me personally I just love having a day out from early morning till evening set up near your favourite rabbit spot with cans of pop, flask of coffee, butties rifle bullets and just wait. You will get a better understanding of there behaviour, habits and numbers by just watching

If I wanted a few for the pub I would go out late evening with lamp and rifle.