Would you have shot this ?

Markt3815

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit of a daft one and will probably get lots of different views on this but here goes..

I've recently been given a wood to shoot in pigeon and vermin etc by my local keeper , i walked through the other day and knocked a huge hare up now hares around sheffield/Rotherham are rarely seen and I love to see hares in the field , the keeper would have shot it as he says it encourages dog men to come on the land the question is would you have shot it and have I gone soft ..

NO.

Your permission is for Pigeon and Vermin.

Hare is Ground Game!

The keeper may have shot it, but your permission does not allow you to regardless of the moral / conservation issues.

I do like to see Hares and would only shoot them if they were becoming a problem, be it crop damage or dogmen.

webber

How is it part of his job. ? Shoot hairs to stop people with dogs killing them, that makes sense.

I sympathise with the requirement to do this, the issue is not the killing of the hare at the hands of illegal coursers - It is what else they get up to Deer poaching, theft of plant and equipment, disturbance to nesting birds, violence etc. You have to remember someone prepared to trespass in pursuit of quarry that it is now illegal to hunt with dogs is not a desirable person to have knocking around the place. Turfing them off with an ear bashing and a don't come back or getting them into a court of law is not as easy as it might seem and can be dangerous (extremely so at times).

IF the hares are not there they wont come is an unfortunate though realistic attitude having to be taken by some

NO.

Your permission is for Pigeon and Vermin.

Hare is Ground Game!

The keeper may have shot it, but your permission does not allow you to regardless of the moral / conservation issues.

I do like to see Hares and would only shoot them if they were becoming a problem, be it crop damage or dogmen.

webber

Sorry you misunderstood pigeon vermin etc the etc being ground game , I do have permission to shoot but chose not to because if I had have it wouldn't have been there for me to enjoy another day, question being breeding season aside would you have shot it or leave it to see another day..

Ur there with the keepers permision, he didn't need to give u permission (infact he must know and trust u as most wouldn't unless they know u well) he asks u to do something, don't really see the problem with shooting it.

The fact ur asking on here probably means u don't have a big problem with it either, ur doing the keeper a favour by shooting it as it saves him coming out to shoot it.

Wether u shoot hares or not is a purely personal thing (must admit not shot 1 for years as not many where i am) but if numbers are high and there causing a problem they are no different to any pest species.

While not ideal shooting at this time of year how many of u stop shooting foxes, rabbits or pigeons or lift ur traps for stoats, squirells or rats?

I have I firm personal thought that culling out the older hares leaves the younger animals better breeding. A nest of baby hares is very sweet to see and I have only shot suspect Hares out of the traditional game shooting season the last two years ago.

Culling out the old hares from rime territory could be likened to proper 3 bed houses becoming more affordable to those in their twenties, the birth rate will I expect clime.

Personally wouldn't have shot it as I like seeing them and they aren't numerous enough to be a pest around here, other pest species I'll control even though I actually prefer to watch them. Don't bother shooting snipe, woodcock or teal either as there's hardly a meal on one and I only shoot game for the pot.

In your position I would probably and only if I was certain of a clean kill (rifle) have shot the hare but with a very heavy heart.

Personally wouldn't have shot it as I like seeing them and they aren't numerous enough to be a pest around here, other pest species I'll control even though I actually prefer to watch them. Don't bother shooting snipe, woodcock or teal either as there's hardly a meal on one and I only shoot game for the pot.

In your position I would probably and only if I was certain of a clean kill (rifle) have shot the hare but with a very heavy heart.

In Holland hares are traditionally considered game just like pheasants. And certainly not varmin. I will only shoot hares from October till December as they start having young’s from January.

If there are only a limited amount of hares I would certainly not shoot them, they will not do any significant kind of crop damage. And it will take a long time for a small hare population to recover.

You have to remember someone prepared to trespass in pursuit of quarry that it is now illegal to hunt with dogs is not a desirable person to have knocking around the place.

You could say that all the toffs riding with the hunt are undesirable then :)

Not all dog men are undesirable, I run longdogs for many years and still love to see a good course on a winter hare or a rabbit.

I have some permissions where they want hares shot all year round others where they do not.

Though there are a good few about where i shoot.

I tend to leave them if i can during summertime unless i am asked to shoot them and shoot them mostly during winter.

If it was not for dog men after hares driving over crops i know i would not have to shoot as many.

You could say that all the toffs riding with the hunt are undesirable then :)

Not all dog men are undesirable, I run longdogs for many years and still love to see a good course on a winter hare or a rabbit.

Yet we are talking dog men without permission to be there and hunt, I too kept running dogs its got nothing to do with the ban. I don't just know these people I am related to them and I do know what they can be like with keepers and things that are not 200% secure

I didn't say it was part of his job just pointing out that people such as gamekeepers have obligations to control them when they are causing problems on the land they are looking after, they can do considerable damage to crops when in abundance

I understand that but I don't think he is a gamekeeper. And it won't stop poachers poaching other game.

I understand that but I don't think he is a gamekeeper. And it won't stop poachers poaching other game.

I know he isn't a gamekeeper but was pointing out that some of us are and it's not just about the poaching it's about the other problems associated with it such as gates left open, damage, theft etc. If there isn't the quantity of hares to chase they will go elsewhere and I know they will poach other game but hares are a great attractant. As I have already said, hares also eat a lot of crops when they are high in numbers so it costs landowners money the same as when rabbits cause problems. I totally agree that if you have small numbers and doing no harm it is best to leave them alone and nobody likes to see them more than myself. If you don't want or like shooting hares that's up to the individual, but they are a legitimate quarry and if someone wants to shoot them why should it be a problem for others. I have very few pigeons where I am and no crops to protect so I don't shoot them but a huge majority on PW do. No difference really.

I've no objection to anyone taking a hare when in season, it's a free country. I stopped years ago. It's bad luck to shoot the hare, there I've said it. Years ago myself and two mates were driving down to a remote permission. The other passenger was the land owner, an older man. He casually asked " Do you shoot hares? ". All three of us did at that time, but I knew what was coming. I said quickly "No we don't " . His reply was " If you shot a hare down here, don't come back ". We saw hares that day but shot none. There are many things about the hare that make it special........superstitions, stories, art and myths. I stopped that day and any I've seen since are a joy to see. You'll tell people in the bar later..." hey I saw a hare today"