Whimsical classic car enquiry

LondonLuke

So, for as long as I can remember I have always dreamt of having an old school classic car. Not mega classic but sort of Austin 7/Original Mini sort of age.

I have recently rented a garage through work (not with the car in mind) but it does have enough room to have a small car stored there.

My question is how unlikely (expensive) would it be to have a second classic car. I guess ideally you buys something that doesn't need an MOT or Tax and can be on classic car insurance

Or is this all a fantasy where every time you go to it the battery doesn't work and you spend far more than its worth?!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the vehicle and its condition - lots of 'project cars' are ideas that are never finished. You can buy a pretty nicely looked after and restored mini, MG midget (get a 1275 version not a 1500) or a triumph spitfire and they are fairly simple mechanically but rust easily. Engine parts appear to be plentiful and are fairly simple to maintain. The issue comes with classic more exotic cars, parts are more scarce and harder to maintain.

My colleague has a old mini and drives it in to our office 2 times per week usually and his new car other days, never has any real issues as he uses it regular and keeps it serviced etc... There isn't much to draw on batteries when they aren't in use but you could easily keep it on an optimiser and battery would be in tip top condition all the time. It's just rust that's the issue but not a big deal if you keep on top of it.

I have been down this path before and my experience is:

1. Unless the garage is on your door step then it's another obstacle to you actually using the car - cars only get used if they are on your doorstep and there are no barriers to use

2. You won't have has much free time as you think you do / should do to do classic car stuff and your wife will agree with me

3. Unless your garage has power then you won't be doing any proper work there so that cuts down the field to already restored only

4. Insurers get funny about off site garages, and loads get broken into and robbed

5. It's the second set of running costs that kill the dream - yes you can get classic car insurance but your NCD glues to only one car (unless something like admiral multicar works) and so combine that cost with tax and MoT for a car you won't do 1000 miles in each year and it's a waste of money

Been there, got the T-shirt.

Edit

A battery isolator is a must but that will disconnect any electrical alarm or immobiliser as maybe required by your insurance company.

Seriously though, it's all the little things that get in the way, like - where do you leave your car once you have driven to your off site garage? If you leave your car out is it safe and if it isn't that means you won't be using your classic overnight anytime soon unless you get someone to give you a lift to your garage - you can get lifts of friends and family maybe 4 times before your asking wears thin.

How easy is the physical security to deal with? I had a Harley that by the time you got to the bike, took off the cover, locks and chains the desire for a quick blast had long gone (coupled with the knowledge that the cover and locks had to go back on when you got back - and so unless I was going out for at least an hour I didn't bother and it was then surprising how few the opportunities were to go out for longer.

If you get back late and it's dark is there a light in the garage / a flood light on the garage block? With the battery isolator, reprogramming the clocks and radio 'every' time you get in the car wears you down.

And all for 800 miles a year if you are lucky.

Saying all of this I keep doing it and going back for more :lol:

Edited by Mungler

I have a 1995 Mercedes 300d saloon,a car I thought posh when I first started work,it lives on my drive and I use it regularly,3k miles in the last 11mths.It has cost nothing in repairs but it needs a wing and a bit of paint.I love it and it offers no disadvantage over my bmw really so the wife uses that.Just do it.

Wow a minefield it would seem!

I suppose I have quite an idealistic view of it but lots of good points raised and Mungler you seen to have the wardrobe not just the t-shirt! I could walk to my garage from home but you are right that it doesn't have electric and I have no idea when it comes to insurance....though I would be looking at purchasing something reasonably cheap just as "a bit of fun" as it were

I don't have huge mechanical knowledge by any stretch so would only really want to do "superficial" bits - this may be the crux of it

By all accounts it would be helpful to find something pre 1974(!) to avoid tax and before 1960(!!!) to avoid MOT.

I guess I have the idea of having a little Mini to use for pooling around town but perhaps it's best left at an idea

Get a Fiat 500 or 127, or a Citroen 2CV, that's where you can still make a profit and they have the mechanical complexity of a knife and fork

That sounds like my sort of thing. If I can fix it with duck tape and cable ties then that's awesome.

Have you got into classic cars before M or just bikes?

It's this or a new watch....know which would be less hassle and probably better value but still not decided

I've had a few 3rd cars and it's the reality of tax, MOT and insurance each year together with an annual service bill all for the pleasure of driving way under 750 annual miles. It was fun, but it was pointlessly burning money.

Get the right watch and you will get to wear it and enjoy it everyday and you can make money - the last one I bought 2nd hand from a local jeweller for £10,500 and sold it at Bonhams for £13,500. Less fees and commissions there was a modest return - but I got to wear and enjoy the watch and the real measure was not losing any money on it.

I am in the process of moving and selling my toys to fund an extension - I'll PM you to tempt you with a watch :lol:

Get a Fiat 500 or 127, or a Citroen 2CV, that's where you can still make a profit and they have the mechanical complexity of a knife and fork

And they are French and embarrassing! It doesn't have to be about making money, I have just brought another 5.7 litre camaro , its pointless, expensive to run and maintain but puts a huge grin on my face everytime I nail the throttle that no watch could ever come close to and also brings many a smile to others faces what I go to shows with it, besides which nobody would think its a cheap copy ( which they would if I turned up with a Rolex) , it's also going to increase in value as I brought the right one although any profit will have been eaten up in servicing and running costs over time but hey, if life was only about profit to me and making money I would have brought shares in something and stayed home !

I have a Porsche 924 and 944 Turbos which I am about to trade in for an air cooled 911 when I find one. I budget about £1.5-2K per year to keep them maintained. Some years you use it some you don't.

Don't be tempted by anything too exotic as they end up being money pits if you don't keep on top of the maintenance. They will be cheap to buy for a reason.

As said before a basic Mini / Fiat 500 / Beetle has few parts to go wrong and there are no shortage of spares..

If you do get tempted the remember the Golden Rule "The most expensive exotic car will be the cheapest you own".

Here is one of previous mistakes!!

sagaris.jpg

why not an old landrover?

it can be tax exempt, and will get use as a shooting bus.

I have a couple and a few scimitars,

insurance is around £100 a year, the non tax exempt ones are used in summer only so 6 month tax £125 ish?

I agree with Mung I had a bike, by the time I found the gear out got the bike out of the garage etc I used the car.

Consdier a Porsche 944. I would suggest non-turbo (less stressed engine, lower fuel consumption, less "dramatic" power delivery, simpler and cheaper to work on), but Freakmode may disagree!

Fairly cheap to buy if you look around, not too bad to maintain (I do basic work, servicing etc. myself), cheap to insure, not too bad to tax - and I still get a thrill whenever I drive it (5 years plus I've had it now). It used to be my only car, and I used it about 7,000 miles a year, but now I have another car too so it's getting less use - possibly 3,000 miles? But it lives on my drive and still fires up on the first turn of the key. It might even be appreciating in value - but that's not why I bought it.

Having said that, I'm soon not going to be able to drive to work any more, so may be a bit hard to justify having two cars that I can only use occasionally! But I'd struggle to find another 944 as good I think.

Consdier a Porsche 944. I would suggest non-turbo (less stressed engine, lower fuel consumption, less "dramatic" power delivery, simpler and cheaper to work on), but Freakmode may disagree!

Fairly cheap to buy if you look around, not too bad to maintain (I do basic work, servicing etc. myself), cheap to insure, not too bad to tax - and I still get a thrill whenever I drive it (5 years plus I've had it now). It used to be my only car, and I used it about 7,000 miles a year, but now I have another car too so it's getting less use - possibly 3,000 miles? But it lives on my drive and still fires up on the first turn of the key. It might even be appreciating in value - but that's not why I bought it.

Having said that, I'm soon not going to be able to drive to work any more, so may be a bit hard to justify having two cars that I can only use occasionally! But I'd struggle to find another 944 as good I think.

Good call, just check the sills have not rotten through as its a pain to have them changed. Also get a later one early ones are now starting to run out of parts from Porsche and many are NLA. I had to have a crank case breather pipe actually made for mine as Porsche thought it would be a good idea to have a 5mm restrictor built into it. Cost me £100 for 12 inches of rubber pipe.

Get yourself a prossie and drugs habit instead.

A much better use of your time, you don't have to provide accommodation - unless she's your mistress - and you'll have much better stories/memories when you've blown your wad and have to give it up.

Just my thought...

You can have this for £100,000 if you like

OMG if I had the dosh I'd take your hand off, is it yours or a pic you took.

I've had 2 MG Midgets 998cc & 1275cc. Had the 1275 (TCU 99K) for just over 10 years but new baby forced a rethink. Sold the Midgey and 2 weeks later the firm closed down. Drat, drat, drat. Also had a MGB GT, it was ok but not as fun as a Midget/Sprite. If Mr Camelot was kind I would find a Midget in excellent condition and spend a fortune on getting it updated.

Good call, just check the sills have not rotten through as its a pain to have them changed. Also get a later one early ones are now starting to run out of parts from Porsche and many are NLA. I had to have a crank case breather pipe actually made for mine as Porsche thought it would be a good idea to have a 5mm restrictor built into it. Cost me £100 for 12 inches of rubber pipe.

True. I looked at a good range before I bought mine (1986), and apart from materials for servicing, I haven't needed to spend much on it over the past 5 years. Touch wood!

I have a Porsche 924 and 944 Turbos which I am about to trade in for an air cooled 911 when I find one. I budget about £1.5-2K per year to keep them maintained. Some years you use it some you don't.

Don't be tempted by anything too exotic as they end up being money pits if you don't keep on top of the maintenance. They will be cheap to buy for a reason.

As said before a basic Mini / Fiat 500 / Beetle has few parts to go wrong and there are no shortage of spares..

If you do get tempted the remember the Golden Rule "The most expensive exotic car will be the cheapest you own".

Here is one of previous mistakes!!

sagaris.jpg

what was the mistake?selling it??..they are going up in value again now TVR has been re bought by a british consortium..