is this worth buying

secret-squirrel

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/130930936418?nav=SEARCH

I have a Ford ranger not sure if this is worth buying or is it even possible to fit to my ranger . 2005 model Will try upload a pic of the front end . I don't need it to pull me up a vertical rock face . Just incase I do start 4 wheel spinning in a sludgy spot . To hook to a pals truck

to get a bit of pull to get going again . Thanks

In general, good ones aren't cheap. And cheap ones aren't good. If you buy cheap, then you'll either be buying one that won't do what you need, will break, or will be old and knackered. Or there's a slight chance you'll be very lucky, and get a good one.

You pay for what you get in life. I've had mine about 4 years but only used it on pay & play, never on a greenlane. If the lane is that bad they normaly get closed & repaired.

I'm sure you'll be able to get a winch bumper off the shelf but I don't know where. If you can't you could always get one made but it won't be cheap.

If it's only to pull yourself a few feet back to a solid surface on a green lane, consider using a Hi-Lift (farmer's) jack, some chain & lengths of webbing/rope.

I am now looking for a small 12v portable winch . Something around 1500kg as a "just incase" for in the boot . I have seen some on eBay for around £70 But they look like chocolate !

Does any one have any experience with one ?

The YouTube videos I have seen . Looks like Some cheap winches work sone don't

Guest rimotu66

I would stick some decent tyres on the thing first, your o/s/f looks near the limit and they are hardly the tread to go offroading :good:

Edited by rimotu66

The right Tyres are without doubt the most important item for off road. If you also want the car for social driving on motorways etc they don't have to be great knobbly mud tyres (although of course they are best for mainly off road) but good all terrain such as Grabbers will make all the difference. Even the so called best off roader in the world, the range rover is rubbish without at least a set of say grabbers on. Then it becomes a different car off road.

I would stick some decent tyres on the thing first, your o/s/f looks near the limit and they are hardly the tread to go offroading :good:

Yes your right it is at 2.5 mm on the inside.I don't no if I am going to keep the truck yet as it's only doing 17mpg . Also The tracking is out so the drivers side tyre has worn funny .i Am going to see if my t bars can be adjusted to give it more lift on the front then get it done but I am in 2 minds if to keep it or sell it and try something ekse

My thoughts for what they are worth if you go green laneing it is best to go with a friend with two trucks then you should only need a good recovery strap if you are going in deep mud a good kinetic rope should get you out of most problems a winch is usefull if you are on your own and get stuck as long as there is something to fix the cable to.