Midweek meander....

NickB65

Well being the boss has some perks and I managed to leave the office at 3:45 and was in the field set-up and raring to go by 4:40. I had chosen the set-up on a corner of a field so the hedge was to my rear and running away to my right and then to my left and running away to left and behind - kind of on the outside of the corner. I have watched pigeons on other session use this corner almost as a land mark so was expecting some business. Two bouncers managed to catch the gentle breeze and these lead to two groups of pigeons feeding on my rather stunted and patchy rape. While setting up I was aware of the lack of birds in flight but they were around as I saw a large number sat on the double pylon.

Once set-up I parked the car the other end of the field under the double pylon and lout my white work shirt in the window and it seemed to do the trick, What few birds that did fly that way covered away jut not my way. The sun was glorious and with such gentle wind I do not blame the birds for not flying. Some big numbers did come my way and came close to the hide but the sun was right behind them and even with sunnies on I just could not see them. I moved the decoys out a little more and a few came closer but these were all in transit to the evening roost so were not that close. I had a go at one or two but even with a four bird length lead I was still just behind. The two that did commit dropped with a single shot.

Not quite as bust as I had hoped but another fun evening and another learning exercise. Took the rifle out after for a prowl for rabbits and the first customer was literally taken from the car as I was setting up. I big plump pigeon landed in the Walnut tree. I chambered a round and checked the backdrop which was just empty fields - no branches between me and the target and down he came. A mooch around the fields but I could not stay long so by 7:30 it was time ti pack up. Still plenty of light to shoot by a=but not a rabbit in site.

The Hares were still bounding around but their numbers a lot less now and we will leave them be now. Roe, Munkjack and Chinese Water deer were all out and about. The Roe looking very regal as they stood watching me and the ducking down to feed while the Munkjack and CWD stood on the inside of the copse just visible looking more like large dogs than deer. Ugly ******* as well some of them.....

Another relaxing evening and it is amazing how just a few hours in the field can just melt away the stresses of life.

Total bag was three pigeons for the freezer and one chilled me.