Todays door knocking........

Zeus

So this afternoon I had a drive round on my way home and spoke to 4 farmers to try and gain my first permission. Having found a few different fields with either pigeons or crows on I went about the usual of knocking the nearest house to quiz them on who the land owner/tennant is. With the right name and farm in my head off I set to seek them out.

After giving my bumbled spiel I had mixed results of a couple of "we already have someone", "comeback in harvest time", and "we control them ourselves". The most promising was a sort of "yes" but would need to have the ok from his regular vermin guy.

My question to you is should I be stating that Im a novice with no permissions in my opening pitch? On one hand I don't want to fib and say Im experienced when Im not, and on the other hand wonder if by saying Im a novice this also goes against me?

atb Zeus

Unfortunately it's a chicken and egg situation. You need to do it to get the experience. It's a pity you are not closer to where the CCPWC operates as you would be given the opportunity to shoot under guidance. Is there not a member out there who can take this guy under their wing to get him some experience?

Unfortunately it's a chicken and egg situation. You need to do it to get the experience. It's a pity you are not closer to where the CCPWC operates as you would be given the opportunity to shoot under guidance. Is there not a member out there who can take this guy under their wing to get him some experience?

Cheers. Ive had a couple of great offers from members but sadly due to my work commitments I haven't been able to get out with them!! Frustrating!! Thanks to the guys that have offered, sorry I haven't been able to join you.

I just think that opening with "Hey Im a novice" already puts you a step behind. Having got the first few "door knocks" under my belt it does seem easier each time to make an initial approach.

Keep going and well done on door knocking. I did 25 farms before I got my first permission...and that came from beating!

Don't say you are inexperienced. It may be an honest description of your capabilities but rephrase the answer.

The guys that said come back at harvest time...go back at harvest time. I would turn up, ask for the gent you spoke to and reiterate his words "come back at harvest time" in some shape or form.

Show willingness and trustworthiness. Ask for a day on the field before asking for the keys to the farm...if you get my drift.

All the best and keep us updated,

BRNDL

Keep going and well done on door knocking. I did 25 farms before I got my first permission...and that came from beating!

Don't say you are inexperienced. It may be an honest description of your capabilities but rephrase the answer.

Cheers. I will put across more about my experience gained from beaters days and vermin drives.

Just keep it short and simple,you noticed a lot of crows/pigeons/rabbits in the fields and would like to help them control them by shooting them,throw in you are fully insured ( hope you are) and wait for a response.

Don't ramble on as they will switch off ,short and sweet,and listen intently to what they say,even though they may be boring you,they will subconsciously appreciate you listened to them.

And always try to use positive words,can ,now,help,immediately,control etc.Not words like maybe,I think I might,possibly,etc.

Good luck,and keep trying the more you ask the better your odds :)

As above, and as I've said before, I get letters and door knockers all the time.

In empathy, if someone you didn't know asked if you could shoot on your land, how would you react? Best bet is to find a particular field that looks troublesome, use the footpaths.

Then ask to shoot that particular field or barn, no more, it's better than asking for carte blanch access.

Good luck, it's a tough job.

As above, and as I've said before, I get letters and door knockers all the time.

In empathy, if someone you didn't know asked if you could shoot on your land, how would you react? Best bet is to find a particular field that looks troublesome, use the footpaths.

Then ask to shoot that particular field or barn, no more, it's better than asking for carte blanch access.

I love it when you get involved Kyska, its very easy to forget the view from the other side of the fence so to speak - apart from the fact my garden is about the size of a tennis court, if some stranger knocked my door asking to wander round with a gun i think i'd be pretty twitchy and need some convincing!

Out of curiosity when you say 'all the time' what sort of numbers are you talking? I only ask because I've door knocked and got the feeling I was at least the third or fourth of that day judging by the eye roll and quick (but polite) dismissal.

Just keep it short and simple,you noticed a lot of crows/pigeons/rabbits in the fields and would like to help them control them by shooting them,throw in you are fully insured ( hope you are) and wait for a response.

Cheers for the advice. I still need to get my pitch ironed out.....and yes insurance is in place.

Cheers for the advice. Ive found a field that looks to be getting hammered by crows so will go for a one of chance with the farmer.

I love it when you get involved Kyska, its very easy to forget the view from the other side of the fence so to speak - apart from the fact my garden is about the size of a tennis court, if some stranger knocked my door asking to wander round with a gun i think i'd be pretty twitchy and need some convincing!

Out of curiosity when you say 'all the time' what sort of numbers are you talking? I only ask because I've door knocked and got the feeling I was at least the third or fourth of that day judging by the eye roll and quick (but polite) dismissal.

It depends, when the weather is nice, and nearing harvest, I get people most weekends, not so many letters, IMO it's the worst way to ask. Middle of winter, rarely anybody.

Cheers for the advice. Ive found a field that looks to be getting hammered by crows so will go for a one of chance with the farmer.

Good luck, hopefully it'll work out. Are there any farms with young lambs about? That's another good way, crow can be a nuisance around lambing fields. Edited by kyska

• 3 weeks later...

I found if you see pigeon hammering a crop , knock on farmers door offering your services there and then. A lot of farmers are paranoid about pigeons and will let you shoot that day, but not promise any further sport. But if you persevere you will get regular permission, but tread lightly as it's easier to lose permission than gain it! Good luck

Being that something in the region of 99.999% of the opinions on this forum is from "the other side of the fence" I welcome opinions and input from "the other side".

I for one appreciate input from any farm or land owners.

Hi

You may want to consider including that you would be prepared to help out with odd jobs/spare pair of hands as and when required in exchange.

Also, an A5 piece of paper with your details, reiterating insurance, offer to help etc. could be pinned to somewhere and a reminder to whoever in between.........

Perseverance is the key so dont dishearten!

L

Hi

You may want to consider including that you would be prepared to help out with odd jobs/spare pair of hands as and when required in exchange.

Also, an A5 piece of paper with your details, reiterating insurance, offer to help etc. could be pinned to somewhere and a reminder to whoever in between.........

Perseverance is the key so dont dishearten!

L

Good call on having my details already printed out before I arrive. So much easier to just hand it over than p+×÷ing around looking for a pen and paper.

Having seen a few wood pigeon on some peas and eventually finding out who owned the field, we set off this morning to try to find the farmer.

Called at a nice big house in the area and spoke to the lady that was weeding the garden.

She pointed us in the right direction and we headed 2 miles further on to the farmhouse.

Upon ringing the door bell a typical farmers wife answered the door and we chatted about the field and confirmed we had found the right place.

She then gave us her husbands mobile phone number and I enquired when would be the best time to ring him.

At six o clock this evening I phoned the farmer and introduced myself, he was great and welcomed us with open arms.

We will meet him at the field at 8 o clock in the morning and can hopefully shoot a few of the pigeons that are hammering his peas.

I need to brush up on my crop ID skills! Been looking at a field that has just had been uncovered from plastic sheeting....its surprising how much it has grown under it over the last few months.

Good effort on your potential new perm!

Having seen a few wood pigeon on some peas and eventually finding out who owned the field, we set off this morning to try to find the farmer.

Called at a nice big house in the area and spoke to the lady that was weeding the garden.

She pointed us in the right direction and we headed 2 miles further on to the farmhouse.

Upon ringing the door bell a typical farmers wife answered the door and we chatted about the field and confirmed we had found the right place.

She then gave us her husbands mobile phone number and I enquired when would be the best time to ring him.

At six o clock this evening I phoned the farmer and introduced myself, he was great and welcomed us with open arms.

We will meet him at the field at 8 o clock in the morning and can hopefully shoot a few of the pigeons that are hammering his peas.

How did you get on TightChoke?

I think I've found a field of peas....from a distance I though it had been covered in plastic but on closer inspection it looks like fleece/fabric. I knocked the nearest couple of doors and got the name of who's crop its and number. Made the call but the farmer was out so left my number....will visit tomorrow if no reply.