Guns Taken after leaving the Mrs

gibspoon

As the title suggests...I left my Mrs a couple of weeks ago. Tried to arrange a few times to collect my guns to get an RFD to hold them, but she has been a bit of a pain with dates, although it's all been fairly amicable. We're both coppers so reasonably sensible on the 'domestic' side of things. However, my gaffer has decided in his infinite wisdom to get my guns taken away because I am 'going through a difficult time', and 'we have to manage any potential risk'. To say I'm a bit miffed is an understatement.

I've done nothing wrong and it was my choice to leave. Now apparently I've got to wait on the firearms licensing manager doing a report before I'll find out what's happening. Anyone else had guns taken in similar circumstances?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have every sympathy, but you are now in the same boat as Joe Public. Something similar happened to a friend of mine. The Firearms people have been through this situation plenty of times and know how to handle it.

Edited by Gordon R

Surely they know you better than most FEO can talk to people at your place of work? As you say, your choice to leave and no argy bargy between you and the mrs..

Hope you get it sorted soon.

A Chap one street away from me has just murdered his ex who was 4 streets away.....

It sounds fair and reasonable to me. 1 in 3 women killed by their husbands is shot with a weapon that is legally owned with 64% of those weapons used being shotguns. A separation is a known trigger point for domestic violence. Think of it as the price you pay for male privilege. That's presumably served you well all your life. You should get your guns back reasonably quickly.

It sounds fair and reasonable to me. 1 in 3 women killed by their husbands is shot with a weapon that is legally owned with 64% of those weapons used being shotguns. A separation is a known trigger point for domestic violence. Think of it as the price you pay for male privilege. That's presumably served you well all your life. You should get your guns back reasonably quickly.

With figures like that it would seem reasonable to bar married men from holding a license.

With figures like that it would seem reasonable to bar married men from holding a license.

Well, quite :-) Or men at all in fact. Luckily you have the weight of history and a patriarchal society to protect you so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

So if your in such mentally fragile state then they have to put you on paid sick leave yes? Because lets face it you shouldn't be put in stressful situations with the general public if your not fit to hold your guns at present, you shouldn't be face to face with any of the public in volatile situations either! Play the fools at their own game IMO :good: Cant have it both ways can they :lol:

So if your in such mentally fragile state then they have to put you on paid sick leave yes? Because lets face it you shouldn't be put in stressful situations with the general public if your not fit to hold your guns at present, you shouldn't be face to face with any of the public in volatile situations either! Play the fools at their own game IMO :good: Cant have it both ways can they :lol:

So true

Very good point you could snap and beat someone to death with your truncheon!

Not such good advice if you want your guns back. :sad1:

Not such good advice if you want your guns back. :sad1:

I think the boss will tell him he's fine and get on with his job well if he's fine to confront hostile and stressful situation with a weapon (asp) he should be fine to potter the fields shooting the odd pigeon! IMHO

Seen it with a solider they took his shotgun until they worked out we thought he was fine to handle an assault rifle on duty.

Edited by welshwarrior

I left one mrs about 2 years ago.

Local rfd found out and "reported" me "annonymously" to feo.

I am an rfd and they (other rfd) thought they would ellimate some competition.

I asked feo to meet me at my address where I would show him that security arrangements and my access were all as before. The ex and I kept it ammicable and I ran my business from the house until i payed her off and i moved back in.

Feo was happy with my explanation and didnt even visit.

Its now a standing joke about who reported me.

Im sure its a pain but you will get your guns back soon enough.

Is it worth the hassle to try to get thwm back quicker or can you just let the process run through?

Edd

You're sort of missing the point. It's not that you can't have a gun in any situation, it's that in a domestic situation with a marriage breakup and a gun in the house it becomes much more likely that something will happen. There is a correlation between marriage break up and stalking and harassment. The police are exercising due caution. Accept it and it should go away. Display out of proportion rage or protest and you become a higher risk.

For anyone who is properly interested have a read of http://www.infertrust.org/armed_domestic_violence.asp. Then have a read of https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/97904/vawg-eia.pdf. Domestic violence is rampant in our society; it's so common that a lot of the time people don't even recognise it as being a problem, it's just how things are. However, and I give this government it's due, it's taking it much more seriously and starting to recognise it as a systemic problem, not just isolated individual instances. ,The report cites that after 16 years of sage "29 per cent of women have experienced domestic abuse".

You might not have noticed the number of cases where domestic violence escalated to end in the death of a woman. Efforts like Counting Dead Women are starting to make sure these cases are seen and the details are known and that the errors made by police and other agencies are not repeated. Projects like Everyday Victim Blaming are providing piles of evidence to show that the problem lies with assumptions and prejudices held by officers. It's no wonder that they are checking everything twice.

If you didn't know already domestic violence isn't just hitting someone. It's about control. Hitting someone is the least of it.

http://www.womensaid.org.uk/domestic-violence-articles.asp?section=00010001002200410001&itemid=1272

Edited by ehb102