Guns Taken after leaving the Mrs

gibspoon

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ehb102 - glad you are abstaining from further posts. The pretentious, higher moral ground approach is beginning to grate.

It would be good if you could make your point without trying to appear brighter. Your contributions suggest the exact opposite.

Well said!

P.S. He does come across as a bit of a knob doesn't he? :lol:

Edited by MartynGT4

Thanks, Graham. My point was simply that there is a lot of pressure at the moment coming from very good sources and it appears that the OP is feeling the effects of this. I shared some of the reasons why this pressure is building and why I don't think it's a bad thing but part of a larger movement that will actually be beneficial to Society in the long run. My stats aren't from Canada BTW, they are from "CRIMINAL STATISTICS England and Wales 2000" produced by the Home Office. I'd use stats from elsewhere though.

There is growing acknowledgement of the gender bias in some kinds of violence and how that is part of a systemic problem in the UK. Sorry if that makes you all uncomfortable, but it's true. I've also acknowledge the standard "but it happens to men too" point without rubbishing it (I think that's the bit some people find patronising, but hey! damned if I do, damned if I don't). You tell me not to take it personally but really some of you should take that advice too. I don't take it personally, I'm far too academic about such things. Data is data and if there's something better than what I have I wanted to see it. Give me the right data and I'll change my view. So far I've seen that some people don't like reading what I write. I've seen suggestions that I shouldn't write it. I've not seen anything other than opinion. Me being patronising would be me NOT putting anything about this out here because I've assumed that you would be unable to understand or deal with it.

I really don't have anything more to say on this subject so I won't post in this particular thread again. Just remember that I'm all for shooting and gun ownership. Yes, I'm vocal about things that aren't your priority but there's a lot of people out there vocal about the same things who think that you priority is contraindicated with theirs. Until we have more data about domestic violence than just reported police incidences then gun owners are held as a potential threat and it's impossible for the police to make decisions on confiscation of firearms based on probability, only on possibility. Unless gun owners acknowledge the possibility of legally owned guns being used illegally in a rational way then they are stuck in the fallacious claim that the probability is zero, and that is obviously untrue. Whilst the probability is greater than zero the police are doing the right thing according to their responsibilities in being proactive.

Data is data because its recorded, yet most domestic violence goes unreported I also hear. How much of it is from a bloke who isn't going to tell many (especially staff at the hospital or the police) he has a bump on the back of his head coz the wife hit him with the rolling pin. I bet a hundred fold more people get stabbed than shot in domestics in the UK and I don't need no data to back that up. Data is gathered by those with agendas to back up 8 out of ten owners say their cats prefer it but who the heck asked the cats anything?

You're sort of missing the point. It's not that you can't have a gun in any situation, it's that in a domestic situation with a marriage breakup and a gun in the house it becomes much more likely that something will happen. There is a correlation between marriage break up and stalking and harassment. The police are exercising due caution. Accept it and it should go away. Display out of proportion rage or protest and you become a higher risk.

For anyone who is properly interested have a read of http://www.infertrust.org/armed_domestic_violence.asp. Then have a read of https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/97904/vawg-eia.pdf. Domestic violence is rampant in our society; it's so common that a lot of the time people don't even recognise it as being a problem, it's just how things are. However, and I give this government it's due, it's taking it much more seriously and starting to recognise it as a systemic problem, not just isolated individual instances. ,The report cites that after 16 years of sage "29 per cent of women have experienced domestic abuse".

You might not have noticed the number of cases where domestic violence escalated to end in the death of a woman. Efforts like Counting Dead Women are starting to make sure these cases are seen and the details are known and that the errors made by police and other agencies are not repeated. Projects like Everyday Victim Blaming are providing piles of evidence to show that the problem lies with assumptions and prejudices held by officers. It's no wonder that they are checking everything twice.

If you didn't know already domestic violence isn't just hitting someone. It's about control. Hitting someone is the least of it.

http://www.womensaid.org.uk/domestic-violence-articles.asp?section=00010001002200410001&itemid=1272

So EHB...understanding your quotes and philosophy, and operatring under your sanctomonious guidleines, does it mean that all woman suffering PMT etc should not have any access to knives and they have been known to stab men to death over trivial arguments and state PMT as an acceptable reason!!

Edited by lloydi73

in a domestic situation with a marriage breakup and a gun in the house it becomes much more likely that something will happen. Wow! That's some statement! So the fact there are guns in the house makes it 'much more likely' that the owner is going to use them because his wife is breaking up with him? You make it sound as if guns hold some sort of mystical power over the owner because of their very existence? What about the claw hammer under my stairs, the axe in my shed or the draw full of extremely sharp, pointy kitchen knives?

The police are exercising due caution. Accept it and it should go away. Display out of proportion rage or protest and you become a higher risk.

I don't care what the Police are exercising. Having done nothing wrong why should I accept it? In the situation of my other half leaving me and me having done nothing wrong I would be mightily annoyed if the rozzers came to seize my guns. In what way do you claim someone in this situation becomes a 'higher risk'? Of what exactly? What determines me to be of no risk to the extent my firearms are returned? Even if it's twelve months in this scenario my wife has still left me, so what criteria decides I'm no longer a 'higher risk'?