Thanks Motty.

JDog

As well as being the second greatest shot in the country (after George Digweed) Motty is a mine of useful information when it comes to decoying.

Today, with a strong wind coming from behind me and birds coming from a long way in front of me I decided to put one of Motty's tried and tested methods into practice. I normally never set out and decoys less than 25m from the hide, sometimes further and they can stretch to 50m. Motty I know likes his decoys close in and today was a perfect opportunity to try that out for myself.

The closest decoy was placed ten paces from the hide and the furthest 25m just about where my first one would normally be. The birds decoyed beautifully, in fact some came in too close for the pattern of the cartridge to open up very much. It was truly fascinating to see just how close the birds would come to the hide and into the decoy pattern.

I was shooting over late barley drillings and I picked exactly 40 pigeons. It was a very enjoyable afternoon.

Glad to be of service. I do like it when you can get the pigeons in really close.

Nice bag. I would have loved to be out today, but couldn't find pigeons in enough quantities to warrant setting up. A huge 50 on rape is the most I could find.