Browning 525 vs 725

Big Al

I was wondering if the RFD members could enlighten me about something I have puzzled by.

The latest Japanese Browning, the 725, was launched with great ceremony and publicity a year or two ago. The new slimline Browning was meant to be a nod towards Italian (Beretta) design.

Why then is there now an apparent relaunch of the 525? Are Browning trying to get rid of surplus 525 stock or has the 725 not been as good a seller than hoped.

I am a Browning / Miroku man through and through, but I can't figure out what they are at.

Perhaps they decided to expand the range afterall miroku have MK38/60/70 browning has 525 & 725 & ........

Yes but there are field, trap and sporter 525s and 725s. Product diversification within the number.

The b525 / mk38/60/70 are all built on the same action.

Browning have moved in logical sequence up until now ( 325 - 425 - 525 - 625 (in the US) and then 725 - the change now makes it look like the the 725 flopped. Why?

Or maybe I am reading too much into it (and need to get a life!)

Edited by Big Al

I've been saving with the intention of buying a B525.

My SGC took ages to come in so I accidentally saved a bit more than I had hoped and the B725 came into being a possibility.

After trying both, I loved them. I definitely felt a difference with the B725 (both 30") and ended up with a B725 Black. It definitely feels thinner than the B525 although not as thin as the Barettas. I won't be changing anytime soon, I know I have made the right choice. Also the other half will be using it so something thinner, slightly better balanced and with a decent recoil pad all works in our favour.

Guns are subjective things, it has to be right for you, but the rate the B725s were selling (particularly the Black), I wouldn't necessarily call the launch a flop.

Craig

Guns are subjective things, it has to be right for you, but the rate the B725s were selling (particularly the Black), I wouldn't necessarily call the launch a flop.

Craig

Thanks for the reply. You are absolutely right about gun choice being a very personal thing! I am very guilty of that.

I think Welshwarrior has hit the nail on the head. Beretta did something similar when they launched the A400 semi auto family and then released the Outlander A300.

Thanks for the replies - it's amazing what thoughts enter my wee head!

The 725 seems to be a designed too appeal to Browning traditionalists in so much as they have a full width hinge pin and yet have a slimmer/lower action and mechanical triggers.

I held a couple and them seem nicely balanced and swing well, I've yet to fire one though so can't comment on recoil compared to a 525 based action (my Ultra XS), but hopefully there will be someone with one at the charity shoot I can persuade to let me fire a couple of carts through one ;)

Tried a b525 last summer and found it a horrible lumpy gun with over size grip and fore end. May trythe 725 but will probably end up with a geurini ir beretta game gum

If you found a 525 too 'big' it's worth having a look at a 725 as they are a lot slimmer, at least to my frying pan sized hands ;)

Tried a b525 last summer and found it a horrible lumpy gun with over size grip and fore end. May trythe 725 but will probably end up with a geurini ir beretta game gum

Horses for courses mate. I went out to buy a Silver Pigeon and came back with a 525. I have big hands so the grips suit me and it came into the shoulder better for me.

If you found a 525 too 'big' it's worth having a look at a 725 as they are a lot slimmer, at least to my frying pan sized hands ;)

I used to shoot Berettas but once I tried Browning / Miroku there was no going back. I have hands like shovels though.

What a strange company Browning is; they just never learn. Twice now they've tried to emulate the Italian guns, first the dismal and unloved Cynergy and now the 725. What they don't get is that people such as myself who like the feel and dynamics of Italian guns are going to buy Italian guns - not Brownings in any form - and people who like Brownings want to buy 'proper' house brick style Brownings - not imitation Italian guns.

I'm not sure where all this 'there trying to copy beretta' has come from. In the shooting times I've got in Brownings own ad it says it's based on the B25. I looked at one and put 25 rounds through it and thought it was brilliant. Nice wood, lovely balance and was really impressed with the swelled palm grip it slotted into my hand perfectly

I also think the fact there only £200/£300 cheaper second hand also tells you there not a sales flop, if they were their value wouldn't hold so well. ATB 425

I do not think the 725 is trying to mimic a beretta. I think it is more of an evolution of the 525, but different enough to warrant keeping both on the market.

The 725 has a lower profile action, but is very similar in it overall design. I think the way second barrel is a mechanical device on the 725, and inertia based on the 525. The barrels are bored differently, and the chokes are DS on the 725. There may be other differences too.

I recently moved from a Beretta 687 to a B725, and tried B525, B725 and MK38. Not much in it, but I felt the B725 felt nicer to me. Others may have their own, equally vaild opinion. To be honest, I am not a fan of the action 'engraving' on the 725, but have seen worse, but really do like the look of the B725 gade 5 sporter...

Rich

I'm not sure where all this 'there trying to copy beretta' has come from. In the shooting times I've got in Brownings own ad it says it's based on the B25.

I don't think anyone suggested it's a copy of Beretta but Browning does seem to have tried to emulate the Italian balance and feel by lightening the barrels and improving the trigger pull, which are exactly the things they got so wrong with the Cynergy. This isn't meant as a criticism of the 725, it's a nice gun, but it's overpriced so isn't exactly flying off the shelves. TBH they're as rare as hen's teeth at the registered shoots around here and I've yet to meet anyone who likes the engraving and orange writing on the GD 1.

...... This isn't meant as a criticism of the 725, it's a nice gun, but it's overpriced so isn't exactly flying off the shelves. .....

I have seen that a couple of times written. Why do you say that, what do you compare them against?

It compares price wise with similar offerings (686 evo) from Beretta? What is its direct competition? Is it the 686/7 series, or SV10, or 692?

I assumed Browning were pitching the B525 against the SP1, and aiming slightly higher with the B725?