First time

She is comming ten months I got her when she 5 months but don't think she was brought up around noise. So what way will I go about it from this point on

So you did nothing as regards gunshot for the next five months then tested her with the 12 ga? Back to bowl banging at feed time,.22 blanks at distance while distracted etc. Show/ pet bred dogs are more inclined to being sensitive to noise though it can occur with any breeding. BUT WORK UP FROM A SMALL START VERY SLOWLY. If you don't have a blank firer start with an empty shotgun shell with just the primer, at present lets hope she is just gun nervy and not gun shy

I started with a kids cap gun in the house, Then moved to party bangers with the insides removed and would have him seated next to me whilst banging.

And when he was not bothered with the bangers moved outside to empty shells with primers pressed in.

The shells with primers in are a soft crack but he then will get used to the gun aswell.

My lab was 4 month old when he was put under the gun with empty shells and wasn't faised one bit.

I would start again introducing him slowly.

I do still have some primed shells if needed

The last 5 months to be honest I've done more retrieving sitting staying blinds and that sort of training I have done abit of banging but not much. As it's my first gun dog I am abit green like I said she did still retrive the dummies but was not hunting them the way she usual would thinking to much about the gun fire. Just want advise no so I can bring her round and not sicken her thanks graham

yeah get what your saying but gunshot conditioning wont sicken the dog, it shouldn't really notice it that's the point. If the dog notices it its too much too soon (note, they all learn what bang means when accustomed to it, this is why bang should not always equal a retrieve) sometimes it helps if you miss a lot :lol:

She is comming ten months I got her when she 5 months but don't think she was brought up around noise. So what way will I go about it from this point on

Plenty of clapping and banging and praise at meal times but do not make the dog uneasy in anyway . Then to progress you can use slippers and bang them together or on a work surface at least this way you can control how loud and progress louder until it's ready for blanks.

They are never to young to be introduced to loud noises , just a case of getting there without causing any fear . My new pup is just over six months and is on a starting pistol with no worries what so ever. In my opinion the earlier you do it the better as it only takes next door but one to let off a couple of good fireworks and you have a dog that fears bangs .

They are never to young to be introduced to loud noises , just a case of getting there without causing any fear . My new pup is just over six months and is on a starting pistol with no worries what so ever. In my opinion the earlier you do it the better as it only takes next door but one to let off a couple of good fireworks and you have a dog that fears bangs .

That's not 100% true too much too young can damage them physically as a membrane is still to form in the ear and can also mentally scare them into a bad reaction just like those fireworks its something you need to manage carefully.

yer fair enough loud noises there is plenty on them in anyones normal day but a 12 guage near them at 10months is rushing things i dont see the point why people rush though the important things just to fire a gun over there dog with the potential to ruin it mine was 15 month before i used a 12 guage round her i was in no rush i took it steady and it didnt bother her at all

A starting pistol with shorts fired in an open area will not damage a dogs ears from 8 ft away . I never once said use a 12 . I just think this is a good thing to get out of the way early as poss but still done properly and not rushed.

It can if the dog is way too young and it can certainly put a puppy off if its first experience is a 22 blank at 8ft, for this very reason we acclimatise them very slowly and start a long way off at first at a reasonable age, stopping at the slightest adverse or concerned look

A starting pistol with shorts fired in an open area will not damage a dogs ears from 8 ft away . I never once said use a 12 . I just think this is a good thing to get out of the way early as poss but still done properly and not rushed.

Any reason why as early as possible?

It can if the dog is way too young and it can certainly put a puppy off if its first experience is a 22 blank at 8ft, for this very reason we acclimatise them very slowly and start a long way off at first at a reasonable age, stopping at the slightest adverse or concerned look

who in their right mind would go straight to a starting pistol. I started banging bowls and slippers at meal time from 8 weeks old and had him under a starting pistol by 5 months after introducing it him to it from a distance and slowly. He now relates any bang to fun and looks straight at me with confidence and I wouldn't want it any other way. It works for me and that's what I'm stating . Or perhaps all my dogs are deaf. Lol

10 months ia far to young to be using a gun round mine hadnt even heard a starter pistol at that age slow down and take your time

Sorry to disagree but the banging should start from a early age.

I bang feed trays on the floor when pups are being weaned, I also fire a starting pistol at feeding time with pups that are in training.

I have a lab pup now working with a dummy launcher at 9 months old and loves every min.

The OP need to link bangs with pleasure, food, play.

Just my thoughts

I bang feed trays on the floor when pups are being weaned, I also fire a starting pistol at feeding time with pups that are in training.

I have a lab pup now working with a dummy launcher at 9 months old and loves every min.

Just my thoughts

+ 1 start them young get it out the way sort the wheat from the chaff as they say

Just my thoughts

I agree with this, though my training experience is limited.

Just my thoughts

I couldn't agree more

As in title I took my lab out today to try and shoot over her I started with a friend 150 yards away but she got very nervous when was going off I even tried to throw dummie and shot but when sent for dummy was half hearted running out. That's only her first time has anyone any ideas or tips greatly appreciated

Clay ground...500 yds away 1st.....400yards away....300 yards away and so on. Big bag of chicken in your hand feeding the dog as the shots go off.Do it over a few days until you are eventually in the grounds and next to the guns. I start this at 8 months ish.Never failed me yet but no doubt there might be some extremely shot shy dogs out there that might need a gentler approach and more time.