My Contribution

aga man

Well as there seems to be a few pigeon bags being posted here lately i thought i better make the effort to contribute with a write up and picture of my own.

It will come as no suprise when i tell you pigeon shooting has been difficult up here lately. With huge acerages of rape about this year we have spent most of the winter bouncing pigeons around on the rape fields,keeping the farmers happy but not making any good bags or finding birds concentrating in any one place.

The spring has made very little difference with little driling going in and plenty of wild food around still.

On friday i returned from a short caravan break and as soon as i could i was out checking permissions and in particular 100 acres of peas which hadn't surfaced before i left for my break.

I arrived at the peas at 4pm and sure enough they were through and about an inch tall and roughly 150 pigeons were feedding on them :) I clapped the birds off but wasn't very convinced by there return.

I checked the forecast and sunday looked the best day with a brisk n/east wind and cloudy/overcast skys.

So saturday morning i was back to the peas watching and scanning with the binos unfortunately still not convinced they were feeding hard on the peas.

Sunday morning came and i wasn't in any rush, not only was it nice to spend easter morning with the kids but my enthusiasm wasn't really there.

Determined to get out anyway i packed some gear at lunchtime and headed for the pea fields.

After 40 mins of watching i decided not to set up.

As second port of call headed to a dairy farm that i shoot over in the hope of finding some woodies on clover.

I had a cuppa with the farmer and he told me he had noticed that many pigeons but he had re sown some patches in a failed winter wheat field and corvids were on it.

Although i didn' have any crow decoys with me i headed to the field which as a bonus i was able to drive to. When i got to the gateway a few crows were present but around 70 pigeons lifted off a patch only as big as a football pitch :)

I quickly chose my spot and put some poles and nets up. i put 4 dead woodies out and two on the magnet.

The birds trickled in nicely and i had some decent sport between 2.30pm and 5.30 when i needed to be away for tea.

Now if your still awake after reading all that then here's a picture off my phone. Not a motty, JDog or PC bag but 34 woodies and 7 corvids 2 of which were carrions was a good result for both the farmer and me.

The peas will keep for another day.

post-57269-0-46432300-1398033833_thumb.jpg

Great write up reflecting the effort that you have to put in to find your birds. Remember, " it's not the size of the bag it's the way you enjoy it". We are often asked do you get bored just shooting pigeons, the answer is no every shot is different but some are more challenging than others. Well done Aga Man you can only shoot what's in your area. DB and I have the advantage that we can encourage each other the either stay or move on motivation is a big thing in any sport. If you have a shooting mate who is confident even if you are doubtful it can make a big l difference. Quoting Topgunners " Never give Up" .

nothing wrong with that bag bud :good:

we have had it exactly like you have this year up to now struggling to find a good situation and making do with 20, 30, bags if the birds are not in the area in good numbers more importantly on your farms not a lot you can do so any bag is a success :good:

Well done Aga Man,.....Nice write up and a decent bag , a lot of people would be happy with that bag me included , Im still getting a few on short rape but now anything over 20 is a good bag, peas up to now have been a dead loss, still some members have been getting good bags so our turn might come before long.

motty...if you are suffering...there aint going to be any hope for the rest of us....whats going on down lynn area ?? :/

Most of the drilling has been done around here. I'm hoping for a few on peas, linseed or maybe spring rape. If they don't produce, then i'll be hoping for a good harvest time (I think it will be good).

Thanks for all your kind comments and words of encouragement fella's.

I prepared a few of the shot birds for the oven this afternoon and in there crops amongst bits of clover and dressed barley seed was a lot of beech tree buds. so that's why ther'e sitting up in the beech trees.

Also forgot to add in my post the field i shot over had no visible seed on the surface.