Baiting vermin

H guys,

Got the tin hat on ready but I honestly don't know the answer

If I want to shoot pigeons ( woody and feral), also magpie and crow under the general licence in my garden, am I allowed put bait down to get them to a part of the garden that is safe to shoot?

I know it's illegal to do it for geese for obvious reasons but it's ok for rats, fox etc

So it it ok for pigeons and if not why?

Edited by beesley121

No to woodies, but I'm sure pest species need to be scared of first and in a garden crop damage might be difficult to assert.

About time the general licence and pigeons etc sorted out! Let's see what mess is cobbled together.

But importantly to you who's going to complain.

John.

I'm shooting them cos they keep crapping on my kids trampoline. They land on the safety next and sit there doing there stuff and the trampoline ends up a mess which the kids cannot play on. Can't cover the trampoline up as the safety net is fixed. Also keep landing on the sky dish and i keep having to fix it when it goes out of alignment.

The neighbour next door has told me to shoot them in her garden too as they keep robbing the food she puts out for the blue tits. She wants the crows and magpies gone too to increase the wanted bird life in her garden.

I don't realy see the differance in putting out a trap with food in it to catch the magpies/ pigeons and then shooting them compared to putting bait on the floor to get them to a safe point to shoot them. I can't shoot them on the trampoline or key dish as that's irresponsible

Edited by beesley121

No you can't shoot them.

Don't forget ALL birds are protected, though some can be shot under the terms of the General Licence.

There are various reasons they can be shot, but I'm pretty sure ****ting on your trampoline isn't one of them.

i

No you can't shoot them.

Don't forget ALL birds are protected, though some can be shot under the terms of the General Licence.

There are various reasons they can be shot, but I'm pretty sure ******** on your trampoline isn't one of them.

This licence permits landowners, occupiers and other authorised persons to carry out a range of otherwise prohibited activities against the species of wild birds listed on the licence. This licence may only be relied upon where the activities are carried out for the purpose of preserving public health or

public safety, and users must comply with licence terms and conditions. These conditions include the requirement that the user must be satisfied that legal (including non-lethal) methods of resolving the problem are ineffective or impracticable.

Edited by beesley121

i

This licence permits landowners, occupiers and other authorised persons to carry out a range of otherwise prohibited activities against the species of wild birds listed on the licence. This licence may only be relied upon where the activities are carried out for the purpose of preserving public health or

public safety, and users must comply with licence terms and conditions. These conditions include the requirement that the user must be satisfied that legal (including non-lethal) methods of resolving the problem are ineffective or impracticable.

I'm not really sure what your point is?

The general licence doesn't just aim to protect crops but also to prevent the spread of disease which I class bird **** as. Don't want my kids playing on that if it's full of ****.

I had a quick search on google, it brought up an old topic from 2011, could you take a look a post 2

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/150294-garden-pigeon-shooting-airgun-the-law/

SURELY THE PIGEONS are a danger to public health and safety if they are crapping all over children`s play equipment.

Have you not got a bird table in your garden they attract all kinds of birds, I have two of the fattest woodies ever following mine,

they live because they don`t cause a nuisance, the first time they do, I`ll move the Bird feeder to where it is convenient,

The general licence doesn't just aim to protect crops but also to prevent the spread of disease which I class bird **** as. Don't want my kids playing on that if it's full of ****.

I had a quick search on google, it brought up an old topic from 2011, could you take a look a post 2

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/150294-garden-pigeon-shooting-airgun-the-law/

The crucial bit being "as long as you follow the rules of the General Licence".

Shooting them because they take a dump in your garden is not covered. If it was any bird dropping a load on your lawn would be fair game.

Shooting them because they take a dump in your garden is not covered. If it was any bird dropping a load on your lawn would be fair game.

but they aren't crapping on the grass its all over the kids play equipment, which has got to be a hazard.

These conditions include the requirement that the user must be satisfied that legal (including non-lethal) methods of resolving the problem are ineffective or impracticable.

Have you tried other non-lethal means of scaring them / keeping them away as yet? If someone does have a whinge then you'll need to be confident that you can offer up a reasonable path of defence up to the point you pulled the trigger.

you can its covered under health reasons, as long as the other terms are taken into account. if its wise is a town garden is a whole new debate though.

you can its covered under health reasons, as long as the other terms are taken into account. if its wise is a town garden is a whole new debate though.

I'm pretty sure that covers public health concerns ie. parks, shopping centres, bus/rail stations etc. not private gardens.

Personally I don't think the OP would have a leg to stand on if anyone reported him.

It really is confusing this GL stuff.

Other than the pigeon matter, me and my neighbour want rid of the crows and magpies in the area to help the likes of the crows and blue tits thrive. I seen a magpie kill a blackbird the other day in my neighbours garden and then not even stay to eat it.

Now if I want to remove these, all I have to do Is buy a larsen trap. I can then tempt them in the trap buy the use of food or with a decoy and humanely dispatch them with however I see fit to prevent unnecessary suffering.

So I really don't see what the difference is with pigeons if they are causing a nuisance and defecating over my kids play equipment. I don't want to shoot them just because I want to shoot in my garden as I have permission elsewhere to carry out that. Apparently, there's pigeon traps on the market now too, not sure if they work though

Edited by beesley121

I'm pretty sure that covers public health concerns ie. parks, shopping centres, bus/rail stations etc. not private gardens.

Personally I don't think the OP would have a leg to stand on if anyone reported him.

It does, I have done it previously personally and checked it out before I did. Trouble is you might get charged and if you say the wrong thing or the wrong way we know the rest of what might happen. I recommend speaking to your Shooting association at length before such a thing is undertaken, it might not be worth the stress / risks. In my case it was Ferals pooping al over my kids garden toys when we lived in town a while. The health risks are very real

It really is confusing this GL stuff.

Other than the pigeon matter, me and my neighbour want rid of the crows and magpies in the area to help the likes of the crows and blue tits thrive. I seen a magpie kill a blackbird the other day in my neighbours garden and then not even stay to eat it.

Now if I want to remove these, all I have to do Is buy a larsen trap. I can then tempt them in the trap buy the use of food or with a decoy and humanely dispatch them with however I see fit to prevent unnecessary suffering.

So I really don't see what the difference is with pigeons if they are causing a nuisance and defecating over my kids play equipment. I don't want to shoot them just because I want to shoot in my garden as I have permission elsewhere to carry out that. Apparently, there's pigeon traps on the market now too, not sure if they work though

Traps are a good answer to town pigeons IMO. Far better than a 12 ga and a stack of deeks anyhow :lol:

I would say that baiting pigeons is illegal. If however you wanted the pigeon gone then shoot them just don't broadcast the fact and make sure you do it properly and safely.

There was a small piece about general licence terms regarding pigeons in this months sporting gun and they say the 'revised' edition makes it perfectly ok to shoot woodpigeons even when they are not considered to be causing any damage.

as said The GL terms are very confusing.

If they are causing a nuisance get them in a shootable position and get them gone. If you fancied putting a feeder out for other birds and the said pigeons fancy some in the shootable position so be it. As long as your projectile stays with in your boundary and no one is being put a risk I can't see your breaking any laws. Just out of curiosity how do we get away with roost shooting and flight line shooting if it needs to be that pigeons need to be seen as causing damage and shooting them should be a last resort as all other methods of dealing with them have failed.

I would say that baiting pigeons is illegal. If however you wanted the pigeon gone then shoot them just don't broadcast the fact and make sure you do it properly and safely.

There was a small piece about general licence terms regarding pigeons in this months sporting gun and they say the 'revised' edition makes it perfectly ok to shoot woodpigeons even when they are not considered to be causing any damage.

as said The GL terms are very confusing.

Peter theobald if I remember correctly