decoying crows with owl decoy

I have unsuccessfully used an owl decoys for the crows. I am not too sure what the crack is with it but after I sold my decoy I was told of a few helpful tips.

Try to imitate the crow distress/fighting call and put a dead crow/decoy next to the owl as if it has killed it.

Good luck.

Edited by BRNDL

Over the years I have used plastic owls,stuffed owls,little owls,big owls and eagle owls,owls on their own,in pairs and in groups,with dead crows,dead rabbits and a dead fox,owls at dawn and dusk,in rain and in shine.On each and every occasion the corvids I intended to slaughter in great numbers have shown not one jot of interest.Stick to basics.

Over the years I have used plastic owls,stuffed owls,little owls,big owls and eagle owls,owls on their own,in pairs and in groups,with dead crows,dead rabbits and a dead fox,owls at dawn and dusk,in rain and in shine.On each and every occasion the corvids I intended to slaughter in great numbers have shown not one jot of interest.Stick to basics.

many years ago I picked up an old tatty stuffed fox it was totally awesome at ringing in corvids. a big white tethered ferret will also call them in like a man might not believe but its illegal under tethered decoy rules (so don't let you ferret exercise if you have a gun with you).

dead rabbit with its guts spilled and belly up for visibility is great, I cannot see why that didn't work for you! Place it near a convenient perch so they have time for a good look about before landing, along a rough flight path and stay very well hidden. I shoot most of my rifled crows this way but once one has the measure of your plan you have to switch things around as regards hiding place, range or bait location. Its no different from carrion at the side of the road or a dead lamb, the only thing I might add is set it before break of light as once they see you setting it out or building your hide and the warning calls go out the game is mostly over for the day. Crows once they know your out to get them are very canny and have better vision than we do using binos from a helicopter, its been said they can see a beetle crawl over a dry cow pat at 100 yards though I don't know how anyone ever proved that!

Out this morning 6am with owl decoy placed up a tree on a post on the ground no interest from crows decided they where taking the**** so went back to decoys that BRNDL lent me. Two hours later shot 6 until they decided that I was now taking the *******and they went to roost .Owl now sat in garden redundant.Many thanks BRNDL you saved the day will pm you to return the decoys and thanks to all for the advice . Wadingin

No problem - Happy to help you out with the decoys and I am glad they worked well for you...p.s how many were shootbale that you missed, if any?

I find this gives a good indication of potential bags...like I usually shoot 5/6 which should be 10+ due to poor shooting!

Also - i will come with you one day without the gun, sit in the hide and do some calling with my primos crow caller.

Edited by BRNDL

Out this morning 6am with owl decoy placed up a tree on a post on the ground no interest from crows decided they where taking the**** so went back to decoys that BRNDL lent me. Two hours later shot 6 until they decided that I was now taking the *******and they went to roost .Owl now sat in garden redundant.Many thanks BRNDL you saved the day will pm you to return the decoys and thanks to all for the advice . Wadingin

After all the advice you were given that it is a waste of time using a owl decoy , it is not suprising you failed , it is suprising that you still tried it though !

After all the advice you were given that it is a waste of time using a owl decoy , it is not suprising you failed , it is suprising that you still tried it though !

sometimes you just have to try things for yourself.. i have only recently started crow shooting and a couple of months ago ask my shooting partner whos been doing it years and he said avoid owls

I've tried the owl decoys too, and never had any success at all.

What I've found does work though ... have a chat with a farmer, and get a fleece from him at shearing time. Then get a few red strips of cloth. Weigh down the fleece in a field, and peg the cloth out on top. A couple of crow/magpie decoys around and on it completes the picture.

It would be difficult for me to disagree anymore than I already do with the above...