Mandarin Teal

WelshAndy

Evening all,

Recently seen a few mandarin teal around, probably a dozen or so. What's the deal with them, are they wild or would they have escaped from somewhere?

I've looked on the rspb website and they are just listed as a non native species.

Not the clearest picture but these four drakes were about 30yrds from my garden yesterday.

80C31295-DBD3-46F7-8FA2-48E634825937-722

I hate to split hairs here but there is no such thing as a mandarin teal. Their name in mandarin duck. Mandarins are not closely related to teal that along with mallard wigeon,pintail and many others forming the largest family of duck- the dabbling ducks.

Mandarins belong along with wood ducks , Muscovy duck and maned geese to the perching duck family.

Thanks wiki-pigeonwatch :good:

Can they be shot as they are a non native species?

Native or otherwise all birds are protected other than those on the GL or those that are listed for shooting in season (mandarin does not appear on either). Why should you wish to chances are they are all very habituated / tame

I'm not stupid! I know the rules for what can be shot and when, it's just there is no information about these. On the rspb website it says they are not allowed to be released into the wild.

These are not tame, wild as they come.

I shall explain further then IF ITS NOT LISTED AMONG THE ONES THAT CAN BE SHOT IN SEASON ----- YOU CANT !

Native or otherwise all birds are protected other than those on the GL or those that are listed for shooting in season (mandarin does not appear on either). Why should you wish to chances are they are all very habituated / tame

No I thought I had to make it louder the second time for you to hear because I said it just previous

No I thought I had to make it louder the second time for you to hear because I said it just previous

Don't argue with this un WelshAndy, there aint nowt he aint an expert on. Ps rather like the name Mandering Teal, think they should be renamed :good:

We have had a pair nesting on a private fishing water in two previous years. Not here though this year. Nesting in a hollow tree only about a foot of the ground, same place both years. So I would think there are more about than realised. Not sure if they have an affect on our resident birds or not. We all know about the ruddy duck but don't think the Mandarin has the same issues

There is quite a substantial population in Berkshire around the gravel pits along the Thames Valley and around Reading.

The only possibilities of them hybridizing would be with the Wood Duck, a close relative (Native to the US - I believe there is the odd UK population, anser2 would know more).

We have had a pair nesting on a private fishing water in two previous years. Not here though this year. Nesting in a hollow tree only about a foot of the ground, same place both years. So I would think there are more about than realised. Not sure if they have an affect on our resident birds or not. We all know about the ruddy duck but don't think the Mandarin has the same issues

Mandarin have a unique gene code no other duck share ,so any mating with other species will be infertile.

in other words can do no little or no harm and with numbers as low as they are.............. Live and let live and they are all said and done pretty little ducks to have around

There are thought to be about 7,000 in the UK mainly in southern and southwestern England. They are a very shy duck spending much of the day along quiet tree covered streams its difficult to get a good population estimate. There has been some concern with them competeing for nesting tree holes with stock doves and other birds , but as they are rare in their native China I thnk they should remain protected.