Early start.... mist and no wind....

NickB65

An early start finding me set-up and in the hide by 7am. When I arrived there was no wind and heavy mist which was so think I could not see more than 100m! Where to set-up on the rape field - it was either under the double pylon where they had been feeding or by the top hedge where they were feeding but also where three flight lines cross...... After a quick gander I decided on the top hedge. I set-up with 20+ decoys and two bouncers which would catch any wind and then drove the car to the other end of the field under the double pylon so they did not go there.....

It was a real heavy mist and for ages I could see nothing. The Hares are now paired up and were trotting around together and then the dam would sit still while the buck nodded around doing his thing. A few Roe glided across the field and then to my left a pigeon sat cooing for ages.... Fine by me as it will only draw others in..... After an hour the Pigeon took flight and flew right across the set-up and dropped with one shot. The mist cleared to reveal an empty sky... not a bird in the air..... nada.

A few were on the flight line but were not happy with the car in the field which was over 300m away but put them right off. To be honest they didi not come that close otherwise I would have moved it. From 7am to 10am I saw ten birds and shot one......

Packed up and then shot the .22LR for a while and then went home.

Great to be out but a little disappointed.

Next time I will set-up on the double pylon and see how that goes.

Why would a car 300 mts from you put birds off? if it was the case then farmers just have to get an old car and they have an instant bird deterrent with no crop damage....

TEH

Because they associate the car with me and my trusty shot gun. It was also where they had planned to feed so even from that distance they would veer to another location i.e. the rape field in the next field. Our Rape is very stunted so unlike many other fields where it is now too tall; ours is small and still gets some attention.

I was thinking of getting a camo net for the car but to be honest it is not that far to the farm buildings where they are used to seeing vehicles so I was being a tad lazy.

Might i suggest you were a little early in the morning, at present birds seem to be feeding later in the day. at the moment i aim to be out and set up for about 12.30 as most of the action is happening between 1pm and 6pm.

I had planned to be out around 10am and shoot til 4pm but the fiancée wanted to ride her horse in the morning and then spend the afternoon working on the wedding plans...... :-(

I agree the shooting would have been better later but such is life.....

Because they associate the car with me and my trusty shot gun. It was also where they had planned to feed so even from that distance they would veer to another location i.e. the rape field in the next field. Our Rape is very stunted so unlike many other fields where it is now too tall; ours is small and still gets some attention.

I was thinking of getting a camo net for the car but to be honest it is not that far to the farm buildings where they are used to seeing vehicles so I was being a tad lazy.

Sounds to me you have a good chance to make a decent bag save from other factors and being a tad lazy.....

TEH

How on earth do you know that? You are really crediting woodpigeon with incredible intelligence.

Regarding pigeons not being bothered by vehicles. Last year my pal and i went to shoot a strip of chopped maize, it was blowing a bitter wind so just for the exercise we parked the truck (Isuzu Trooper) facing the wind and opened the back door, draping the net around the door and across the back, we put the decoys out and sat on the back and managed to shoot about 20 birds, some birds were having none of it but enough came to make it interesting, we have not done it since but it goes to show that a visible vehicle is not necessarily a problem.

Might i suggest you were a little early in the morning, at present birds seem to be feeding later in the day. at the moment i aim to be out and set up for about 12.30 as most of the action is happening between 1pm and 6pm.

yes I am finding that also they dont start to move here in hereford much before 12 midday always go looking around 2 ish which I find the optimal time with birds busy stuffing there crops so gives you a better idea of whats going on

I don't think a car parked 300yards from where your shooting would effect how they would decoy, think about it they would be flaring away from every tractor, implement and car and that doesn't happen. I've tried in the past to use my truck to keep pigeons off a certain part of a field and for the most part it's been a waste of time,If there are two places on a field where they are feeding you would be much better bagging it off, but only do it on the day you shoot. I think your problem was going to early and in poor conditions

If you parked the car where the birds wanted to feed why didn't you shoot where the car was?? :no:

As I stated when I arrived it was very foggy so it was a choice between the double pylon where I ended up parking the car or by the hedge which had the advantage of also being where several flight lines run.

If i have a field near a busy road i can shoot that pigeons are feeding on, quite often their most favoured areas to feed will be next to the road.

I agree but the car was not where they expected to see it hence they were troubled by it enough not to go there

How on earth do you know that? You are really crediting woodpigeon with incredible intelligence.

Simple deduction that they were headed in that direction across an open field and changed direction to head to a neighbouring field - normally they would fly straight tot he double pylon and drop there to feed or go over to the small field just behind it - the car being where they did not expect it I deduced caused them to change their minds.