Saab 9-3 1.9 TID (150)

Rcdavison1984

Morning Guy/Gals

I am thinking of buying a Saab 9-3 1.9TiD Vector Sport [150]

Never had a Saab before though, for the past 8 years Ive had numerous Mondeos but facy a change. The Saabs seem to offer a better spec for similar monies.

2008 with 60k miles are going for under £6000

Does anyone who's had this car got have any advice on it e.g. how is it to drive? any issues mechanical/engine wise that youve had or that i should be aware of when inspecting?

Also is the car known to have any major problems?

Are parts easy to get hold off/affordable?

I will be keeping for 3 years then trading it in.

Working away dueing the week so hopefully get to a garage for a test drive at the weekend

Thanks in advance

Edited by Rcdavison1984

i have a 2007 vector 1.9Tid auto.. no issues with it at all, does 56mpg on a run and almost 40 town driving.. lovely and comfy, plenty of power, doesnt inspire confidence in the corners mind..

Cant really fault it although it is just transport, cant seem to connect with it on a personal level like i have with previous motors, perhaps its just because its... ordinary...

Bargains to be had though, I picked mine up (interior face lift version) privately with 70k for £3.5k!

I had a Saab 95 Aero Estate manual on a 54 plate a few years back.

Mine was the petrol 2.3 Turbo 250bhp version that had some Abbott tuning goodies on it, probs 280bhp. As said, handling wise is wasnt amazing and front end struggled with the power a bit. Acceleration made you smile though, was a lot of fun.

Car wise very comfortable, seats were great. Equipment wise it had all the toys, looked very nice. As said though Vectra floorpan.

Myself, wife and kids toured Ireland to visit family. My parents came too, and my Dad took his Mercedes SL500. Leaving Durham down to Holyhead, over to Ireland, South West coast, back up to Dublin then home my Dads Merc got better MPG that I did!! I think around 22mpg for me and 23 for him :whistling:

Jonathan

Edit mine was a manual too

Edited by jgguinness

I've got a 57 plate 9-3 1.9TID Vector Sport. As all of the posts above state, they are a nice car, but the odd rattle isn't unusual.

Mine will run at 40 - 45 MPG all the time no matter what my driving is like or whether i have a trailer on. Handling isn't great but they don't half shift if you stick your boot on it. Haven't had any problems with mine since I've had it, and i'm doing 1500 miles a month on a car with 117K on the clock.

QS

N.B Forgot to say mine is manual!

Edited by Quickshot

I had a brand new one of these in 2008, same model you are looking at but with the Hirsch performance chip in that Saab do in the factory, adds about 20bhp. I kept the car for 18months and then sent it back half way through the HP agreement as it was worth loads less than I owed on it and I was fed up with it by then and wanted a BMW M5!!

Pros:-

Good acceleration

Good top end (146mph, on track of course!)

Well kitted out (sat nav, leather etc)

Good MPG - 55mpg

Space age cup holders (if you've got one, you'll know what I mean!)

Cons:-

Appalling handling

Eats brake pads and discs

Feels cheap inside

Don't hold their value from new

Replacing headlight bulbs is a nightmare

I would suggest you take one out for a good test drive and make your own decision. Try pushing one into a few bends and see what you think about the steering/handling. All I know is that it used to scare me to death!!

Good luck

I have the exact car you're looking at on a 56 plate that's now done 123,000 miles. I have to say so far the only issue I had was poor acceleration and fuel economy, this was resolved in less than 20 mins by removing and cleaning both the EGR valve and MAP sensor. Now I get 43mpg mostly driving around town and I don't drive slow!

I like it and would have no hesitation in recommending it.

The engine is extensively used by Vauxhall and alfa romeo so parts are easy to locate if you need any

Edited by Gareth0689

I've got one but had two (both 06 models) until I sold one to fund my 4x4.

I think they're great cars, I'd disagree with the remarks regarding poor handling, its no different to any other standard road car built for the job intended.

The EGR can fail and MAP sensor too but they're cheap to replace/clean.

I call mine my time machine as you get in it and before you know it you're where you wanted to be, makes long journeys a pleasure.

They're cheap to buy and you get a world of car for your money.

I'd buy another, love them.

Edited by thepasty