Decoy Numbers

Big Bear

12 plastic is a good enough starting point as PC says above replace with shot birds as you get them and fill out the pattern more , I have often used 30-40 dead birds when having a decent day.

Once you have all the other pigeon shooting essentials you can always add more plastic decoys, I tend to start with 15-20

I think it really depends on the time of year and what you are shooting over. Early on when fresh rape is sprouting and there are flocks in the area numbering in their hundreds 12 decoys are a complete waste of time. You need at least 3 times that with plenty of movers. Movement is essential. Later on when the large flocks have dispersed and you are shooting over just sown crops 12 decoys is ample. Also later on during harvest 12 is fine.

I think it really depends on the time of year and what you are shooting over. Early on when fresh rape is sprouting and there are flocks in the area numbering in their hundreds 12 decoys are a complete waste of time. You need at least 3 times that with plenty of movers. Movement is essential. Later on when the large flocks have dispersed and you are shooting over just sown crops 12 decoys is ample. Also later on during harvest 12 is fine.

That is not my experience. Birds should decoy, even with just a few decoys on the ground. As above, if you're in the right place, things are much easier.

Guest stevo

That is not my experience. Birds should decoy, even with just a few decoys on the ground. As above, if you're in the right place, things are much easier.

i agree with motty

mine neither . I use a magnet with 2 dead birds .and build a pattern as I go along with dead birds job done ! Still each to there own . I dont like my patterns too crowded

Edited by stevo

I only take 2 dead birds, in my opinion being in the right place at the right time is the key if you are in the right spot it doesn't take long to build up a decent pattern. reconnaissance reconnaissance reconnaissance.

Other than pigeons in the air and on the fields i have permission to shoot, what other reconnaissance should i be doing. As a complete newby i'd appreciate tips in this area too

i agree with motty

mine neither . I use a magnet with 2 dead birds .and build a pattern as I go along with dead birds job done ! Still each to there own . I dont like my patterns too crowded

Sorry if I misled anyone. I agree 12 is usually fine, the point I was trying to make is that it depends on when and what. In my experience when shooting over fresh rape and there are flocks numbering in their hundreds. They will not come into just a few decoys. You do need a lot down. Then as you shoot birds replace the plastics with dead birds but keep movers. I always leave all the dead birds in the pattern. I have found that even then they will land on the rape in their hundreds on the other end of the field. Sometimes we may have up to 10 guns covering the rape for miles around to keep them on the move. Because Sod's law they will feed where your not.

Guest stevo

Sorry if I misled anyone. I agree 12 is usually fine, the point I was trying to make is that it depends on when and what. In my experience when shooting over fresh rape and there are flocks numbering in their hundreds. They will not come into just a few decoys. You do need a lot down. Then as you shoot birds replace the plastics with dead birds but keep movers. I always leave all the dead birds in the pattern. I have found that even then they will land on the rape in their hundreds on the other end of the field. Sometimes we may have up to 10 guns covering the rape for miles around to keep them on the move. Because Sod's law they will feed where your not.

and like I said .. each to there own , what ever works mate .

when I go pigeon shooting I take a magnet and 2 dead birds ... that's it . if I have done my home work and im where the birds want to be that's all i need , and as the day goes on , I make a small pattern with the dead birds , BUT I never have more that 15 birds out , inc the two on my magnet , anything else I shoot I bring in , But hey that's just the way I do it . I try to keep things simple and logical .

regards stevo

Edited by stevo

Being in the right spot is much more important than the number of decoys, I have started with zero deeks before now and took a bag too heavy to carry in one go.

If you need lots and lots of decoys to even get started then you're either in the wrong spot or the wrong field altogether. Granted 30 deeks can be better than 8 at times but on the whole 8 or so is easy to carry and will produce big bags if the rest of the do's have been done correctly including shooting straight.

That's interesting Stevo. Do you find it works over new rape in January & February when the huge flocks are hitting the rape. We really struggle then. We don't bother with magnets, just flappers and disco movers seam to work the best. Maybe it is that in our area at that time of year there is so much rape about for them to choose (not that they were that keen this year). We have literally had hundreds feeding in a particular field that after the first couple of shots are never seen again that day. That's why we have to put so many guns out over a wide area to keep them moving.

The amount of decoys I start with is dictated by a number of factors. These are: how far I have to carry them, how visible they will be and also how big the field is. I don't really alter my tactics to suit any particular crop or time of year. A few decoys is usually enough to start, especially if using a rotary device. I add dead birds as I shoot them and I sometimes put out up to 100. As I said before, though, being in the right place is more important than how many decoys to use.

That's interesting Stevo. Do you find it works over new rape in January & February when the huge flocks are hitting the rape. We really struggle then. We don't bother with magnets, just flappers and disco movers seam to work the best. Maybe it is that in our area at that time of year there is so much rape about for them to choose (not that they were that keen this year). We have literally had hundreds feeding in a particular field that after the first couple of shots are never seen again that day. That's why we have to put so many guns out over a wide area to keep them moving.

Surely you would clap the birds back off or set up before they have settled in such a large number, it is far better to have them coming in small numbers than shooting at a big flock and see them disappear....Dead birds don't eat crops...ones that fly off will come back when you are not there...

TEH

depending where you are in the country, where I live its very open and flat so you never know if pigeons are in the area, as

they have to travel to my patch. But what I like to see is pigeon traffic moving in the area(flight lines), on some days they

will not travel far due to weather (air pressure) I'm told. But take a real interest in farming at the end of the day that's

what is providing the sport,and farmers like people who have a interest/know a little about what they are shooting over,

no point shooting 40 pigeon only to have caused more damage than 100 pigeon would have done to the crop.

Surely you would clap the birds back off or set up before they have settled in such a large number, it is far better to have them coming in small numbers than shooting at a big flock and see them disappear....Dead birds don't eat crops...ones that fly off will come back when you are not there...

TEH

The birds have gone long before you get to within 300yds let alone setting up. No need to do any clapping, there away. I find that they disappear then a few venture back and a couple maybe shot ( there is always a lot of debate if these are scout birds, the jury is out on this one as far as I'm concerned) They will then start dropping into a completely different field or the other end of the field but not to the decoys. This goes on and off all day unless other guns are placed around the area as I said to keep them on the move. Quite a few pigeon shooters have said to me that it's a waste of time over fresh rape. However as a crop protection club we have to respond when the farmers ask us for help. But we never get bags like we do over sown crops or harvested stubble.