Foxing - From Dusk till Dawn

Rizzini

I haven't been out foxing for a good month or so, my first taster was yesterday afternoon where we went to see a farmer about a fox problem. This fox had been taking lambs regularly. He would often walk in the fields mid day around the farm with no worry or care about who was about.

We arrived at around 4:30 and went for a drive while the farmer sat in the front of the L200. He pointed out where he had seen this fox not two days ago, and highlighted how bold he was as he watched him trot from the field down and disappear into the reeds and hugh bog/forestry. It was the second field, or maybe even the third and i could see the crows making a fuss, then the unmistakable shape of a fox walking down the fence line to the safety of the reeds. We stopped, i loaded the .223 and rested on the bonnet making sure not to scratch the red paint work on with the Harries bi-pod. I squealed for maybe a few seconds and out pops mr.fox, this was good, the farmer must have thought i was a god at this point. He continued to trot up the field with not a care in the world, nose in the air and looking straight at us.

He came into about 160 yards, any closer and the fence that the field we were parked in would have been in the way preventing a shot. The cross hairs hadn't left his white chest from the second he popped out of the reeds. I then raised them, flicked off the safety of the T3 and pulled the trigger sending a 53grain Superformance down the barrel which would be moderated by the Wildcat Predator 8 and straight for his noggin. "Gwwwd Boiiii" said the farmer followed by a "Got the *********! I was chuffed. I didn't miss in front of him and I had got the fox many local 'fox lads' had tried getting.

That sorted, we planned an early morning to mop up any other foxes that were around the place.

It was now about 8:30 and time to prepare for some lamping.

I gave a call to my mate to see if he was keen for some lamping which he was. I made sure my lamp was charged, got a battery for my fox caller, cleaned the rifle quickly and got some snacks for the night. Everything in order we arranged to meet at mine for 9:30. Sorted.

9:45 came and we went off to the first destination, nothing much just a few rabbits. I won't bore you with the description of how we walked over land for 2 miles to see nothing, instead Il get straight to the point.

We pulled up at a place where I shoot for the farmer on all of his farms ( He's got 3 ) There were lambs about and i hadn't checked this part for a while now, last time nothing showed. We got the guns ready, the guns being my .223 and his .22, climbed the gate and off we went. 2 fields in and a fox was in the hedge looking rather shifty. He wasn't hang in about but wasn't in a rush either. We walked to the gate way to get a decent rest so i could shoot the ******. As we got to the gate way he started walking away up the field. With his back to us, i got the rifle ready, lamp on him cross hairs on his head, gave a quick squeak which would stop the fox at around 60 yards and then came the satisfying sound of a headshot. You know the sound, its more of a snap than a whack!!

We called further but nothing showed, I was happy and so were the ews !

Time was getting on, probably about 1:45 by now and seeing as i had arranged to do an early morning i didn't really want to stay out till then, I wanted a kip !!

I returned to mine, put the stuff away and got my head down for 2 hours.

4:30 came and it was time to go, where did my sleep go !!!

We soon arrived at where the fox had been shot in the day time about 12 hours before hand. We parked up and waited for the world to wake up, I love this time of morning !

As the light got brighter and the mist cleared we waited. My .223 in the slip beside my mates T3 Varmint .222, we were ready for battle. We tried the caller, rabbit distress, cubs playing, even hare but nothing. just sheep making the distance between them and us further, mostly likely because of the the range of noises coming from us !

We gazed across the valley at the bank and noticed a shape moving, it was a fox ! He was more than 400 yards, no match for my Leupold 3-9X50, it was just too far. We watched him almost float like up the hill, such a glorious animal to watch in his environment. He was just finishing his night time duties no doubt and on him way home for some sleep. I don't blamed him, i was still a little starry eyed !

We waited for another half an hour, but nothing. We did hear the sound of a coo coo bird in the forest which was nice, i can't remember the last time i heard that soothing noise.

We drove home back to base, on the way spotting a hare flicking its front legs together in the field. Such a lovely sight, i haven't seen on in yonks. ! Funny really, the early mornings are always the best time to be up, nothing like watching the world wake up before you're eyes. !

Heres a few pics anyway ladies and gentle men, more post to come !

Josh

IMG_3400_zpsb9ac24cb.jpg

IMG_3399_zps26faffb3.jpg

IMG_3398_zps3b0f826e.jpg

IMG_3403_zps02726171.jpg

IMG_3404_zps9270a179.jpg

IMG_3402_zps34181c51.jpg

IMG_3405_zpse11dabf0.jpg