Welsh Game Fair Pembrey Carmarthenshire 15-16th June

steve_b_wales

not a bad day today, weather cleared up and gave another hot one.. and left my slap head like a beetroot.. even with some scrounged factor 30 sun cream on it :lol:

saw some interersting stuff, saw both chris greens shows.. he deserves an award for his wildfowling show... wearing his wader and camo coat and running around the arena after his dog who was ignoring him.. got talking to him before the second show and he said how bad it was :lol:

plenty of traders there and some nice deals on clothes... and knives i bought a lovely fixed blader gerber knife... and a few other bits i didnt need :)

as expected, the food and drink is a right rip off.... but all in all an enjoyable day

A good turn out, the club air rifle stand had 700+ people through it, which is up on last year. Some of the lads who ran the stand camped overnight on Friday and Saturday, as usual, expecting a bit of banter from the other stallholders and a BBQ. What they weren't expecting was to be placed next to three separate poultry stands. Apparently the assorted chickens and geese finally shut up around midnight, and started up again at 2AM. There were some very tired looking people around today.

Wandering around the fair I was struck by two things, some very well conditioned dogs, and some very poor tattoos of dogs.

I was disappointed that I couldn't find a stand selling used kit, I need 2 used scopes for air rifles for when friends bring their kids over, no sign of these, although one stand was selling new AGS 3-9x40 with mounts for £30. I had a look through and they didn't look bad but I wasn't convinced they weren't Chinese knock-offs so I left them.

Food prices were steep, but I didn't need any. Take sandwiches if you go next year, £3 for a portion of chips is robbery.

A1 decoys had a good display of real pigeons on their flappers, they looked really good, I'm not surprised that some of the birds in the bird of prey demonstrations looked a bit distracted. I saw some good fox calls too.

Personnal opinion, is that it was an improvement on recent years, some new stalls as well as some of the old guard. My children spent £19 each (it was their own money not mine!) on rides, one ice cream each and some games that gave plastic prizes, however they enjoyed some of the shows in the main ring. The motorbikes being a favourite.

Sadly as i was a single Dad on Sunday (my wife is still writing her school reports o the joys of marrying a school teacher, but hey free child care during school hols!!) i was not able to spend as much time browsing as i would of liked, enjoyed meeting some Carmarthenshire Wildfowlers members, i too saw some cracking dogs of various breeds. Bought some fishing gear, and learnt how to use a knife sharpener properly!

What a difference sun makes though! If its at Pembrey next year, i will go again, however like others have said, i will take my own lunch with me!

Cheers

Aled

Edited by Aled

Beautiful weather there on the saturday, but what a rip off to enter £12.50 is taking the **** especially fpr the stands which were there.

Clothing stalls were by far from being cheap, much cheaper available online + no gun stalls which is shocking mainly because it's a ****ing game fair ( guess that they ask too much for entering a stall/stand there).

Think next year i'll save my money and just not bother going and go to the cla or midland!!!

Beautiful weather there on the saturday, but what a rip off to enter £12.50 is taking the **** especially fpr the stands which were there.

Clothing stalls were by far from being cheap, much cheaper available online + no gun stalls which is shocking mainly because it's a ****ing game fair ( guess that they ask too much for entering a stall/stand there).

Think next year i'll save my money and just not bother going and go to the cla or midland!!!

Totally agree, and thinking of giving it a miss next year. The one in Highclere Castle (Berkshire) is good.

Well speaking personally i was very very dissapointed, have left game fairs for a few years (and been to most of them), but thought i'd show my support and attend this one. They are NOT gamefairs now they are countryfairs, family occassions rather than fieldsports.

Fair play THE PIGEON SHOOTER and AA DECOYS were there (didn't see A1 DECOYS), no ammunition as stated earlier.

BUT, my biggest gripe was traffic, i have never driven in 1st gear for so long ever, miles and i mean MILES. Got caught up from Burryport to car park going in, and car park to main road coming out, ALL IN 1st GEAR, start / stop every couple of yards, it took me 1 hour 6 minutes to get from car park to main road in 1st gear - ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC.

I appreciate that venues are difficult to come by, but to try and get all those vehicles through a Stop / Go sign was ludicrous. I probably done more wear and tear to my car that day than i will for the next year.

I went in around 1'ish and left 4'ish, and that will be the last game fair i will attend, unless i can get some other idiot to drive.

Couldn't make this year game fair in the end, lucky by the sound of it.

Have attended the welsh one a couple of times and traffic and food prices are always a problem, but doesn't this apply to all the game / country shows. There are not many event days around now where you take the family along and you spend less than £70 / £80.

Never been to the CLA so can't comment, but sounds like its worth a look.