Oh I love my new gun!!

Buko

My first post and I had to tell someone !

Bought my first firearm yesterday a Anshutz 1417 thumb hole 22 lr with a mtc mamba scope.

Woke up at 8:00am this morning itching to zero it and it was pouring down with rain, waited by the window for a break in the weather !! finally it eased up at 12:00 and off I went to the farm.

Zero'ed it in at 50 yards then shot out to 75 and 100 yards to find the hold over.

I was well pleased with the accuracy so went for a walk around trying to stalk in with the wind in my face,shot 4 rabbits and a squirrel the longest shot been 80 yards.

I now have another reason to escape the house!! Best fun I've had since the game season ended.

My first post and I had to tell someone !

Bought my first firearm yesterday a Anshutz 1417 thumb hole 22 lr with a mtc mamba scope.

Woke up at 8:00am this morning itching to zero it and it was pouring down with rain, waited by the window for a break in the weather !! finally it eased up at 12:00 and off I went to the farm.

Zero'ed it in at 50 yards then shot out to 75 and 100 yards to find the hold over.

I was well pleased with the accuracy so went for a walk around trying to stalk in with the wind in my face,shot 4 rabbits and a squirrel the longest shot been 80 yards.

I now have another reason to escape the house!! Best fun I've had since the game season ended.

Nothing like the Buzz of shooting your first Gun (firearm or Shotgun)

Welcome to PW

The Anschutz is a Fantastic ,22lr

I own a 1417 but with a straight hand stock as opposed to the thumb hole version.

If you think it shoot good now there is a chance it will improve further, mine did. The bolt with certainly get smoother as will the safety catch with use.

Enjoy :good:

Thanks for the friendly welcome everyone.

Whitebridges your spot on with the stiff safety ! I guess this will ease up with use.

Thanks for the friendly welcome everyone.

Whitebridges your spot on with the stiff safety ! I guess this will ease up with use.

Yes it will. I don't use the safety a lot but when the gun was new I made a point of switching the safety on and off a few times every time I used the gun.

You don't want it too loose just a bit easier and nice and positive which mine is now. They just need a little working in.

I really dont understand safety catches on rifles, just my personal opinion mind,

What is "Safe" about a loaded rifle ?

I feel its Far better practice to Make it safe (ie Empty chamber) before you drive off/move off to shoot your next bunny

Much Much better to miss the odd wabbit while cocking a new round in rather than an accidental discharge while taking the safety off and shooting your self in the Foot so to speak

Yes it will. I don't use the safety a lot ............

I really dont understand safety catches on rifles, just my personal opinion mind,

I feel its Far better practice to Make it safe (ie Empty chamber) before you drive off/move off to shoot your next bunny

Much Much better to miss the odd wabbit while cocking a new round in rather than an accidental discharge while taking the safety off and shooting your self in the Foot so to speak

Agree 100% 'bosher. It's more about making the functionality that is there work better IF you decide to use it.

nice one glad your happy with the new toy. any pictures of ur gun or of yesterday's bag?

Will do duckman,once I've mastered how to upload pictures.

Regarding safety my process was to spot bunny chamber next round ease safety off and shoot, right/wrong??

Will do duckman,once I've mastered how to upload pictures.

Regarding safety my process was to spot bunny chamber next round ease safety off and shoot, right/wrong??

safe catches should be used, just not relied upon. A gun inside a vehicle should always be cleared ie, no chambered round (Preferably don't do it period). Standard practice is gun loaded safety on and gun carried as fully live, if the ground is rough going or you need to clime a fence etc you should always unload prior and remove any ammo or magazine. If your not expecting a shot just that soon close the bolt on an empty chamber and only then insert a loaded mag (accidently feeding a live round is not uncommon so take utmost care.

A gun should always be treated as loaded unless PROVED otherwise and check it again in and out of slips into the car and in and out of houses, safes also always prove it safe to another before handing it them. Shoot long enough and one day you will check an empty gun and find it is actually loaded (this is normally the action of the loading gremlin and he has killed and injured plenty in his time)

Good shooting, they are a nice rifle no question and 80 yards is heck of a long way for a new guy remember its not all about the drop wind and other "shooter factors" really matter

Edited by kent

• 1 month later...

Nice looking gun Buko. Don't worry things will loosen up as you get to use the gun. I've got a CZ455 in .22lr and it shoots like a dream. If you go on the Hawke web site you can download the ballistic calculator software. The best bit is it is free. That will allow you to work out a range card for your desired zero point. It's self explanatory and very accurate.

Most of all, get used to your rifle and have fun.

I agree, could bite some shooters in the *** if there not careful!