Fishing advice

willks84

The one disadvantage with braid is it's poor abrasion resistance in comparison to mono. Although used it successfully on the St. Lawrence and Lake Nasser, and for all my piking in the UK.

Braid is excellent for rolling baits for barbel too.

In regards to line twist, bait runner facilities and playing fish off of the clutch are a big cause. A good way to get rid of it is to put a stone or more) in a pva bag, tie it to the line, make a long cast, let the pva melt and then reel the free line back through a damp towel or rag.

Yeah, not a massive fan of braid, it has its uses don't get me wrong. Started with it in the days of Corastrong etc. Just like braid has evolved over the years from the early so has mono from the days of platyl soft (once the stop lure fishing line). Now we have the likes of Stren sensor and the likes and its wonderful stuff, higher abrasion resistance and just enough stretch to prevent crack offs etc. I personally landed a 50lb striped bass from the surf after a lengthy battle in the pitch black on sensor, the line was holding on in places by very little (being very badly abraided) I think if I was on braid I should have lost that fish unless it was so heavy as to cut down my distance and spoil the presentation of the fairly lightweight 7" minnow bait lure I was using, Just on 12lb test- you don't need too heavy a line its very,very hard to put 12lb of direct pull on a fish through a fishing rod, most rods will break before you get there. Line strength is really only about preventing crack offs when it comes to lure fishing and a little give (without too much to make it like fishing with elastic does that for me)

Line twist on FS reels is often down to how the reel is loaded and doing things like fishing revolving baits without the addition of a good ball bearing swivel etc. Also consider the quality of the reel and the diameter of the line to reel design. Big fan of multipliers myself but it has to be said they too have their disadvantages (like being hard work with lighter lures and headwinds) need to think above 1 oz lures unless you are on a very small multiplier, and to be fair you are better off with a FS then.

Edited by Penelope

The one disadvantage with braid is it's poor abrasion resistance in comparison to mono. Although used it successfully on the St. Lawrence and Lake Nasser, and for all my piking in the UK.

Braid is excellent for rolling baits for barbel too.

In regards to line twist, bait runner facilities and playing fish off of the clutch are a big cause. A good way to get rid of it is to put a stone or more) in a pva bag, tie it to the line, make a long cast, let the pva melt and then reel the free line back through a damp towel or rag.

I perhaps have half my spools / reels loaded with braid though I have used it less and less over the last 10-15 years. IF you could change it at the drop of a hat I might use it more 300 mtrs of mono wont break the bank to change after a few sessions but changing braid that often breaks the heart LOL.

If I was rolling baits on the river I should be using a Pin and sometimes I get a bit to aggressive with the spin, so braid is out for that one (fine braid loves making knots all on its own, it don't need my help )