Anyone shoot rabbit in daylight with a shotgun?

Denboy

Generally speaking, the rabbits around here feed all night and sit in the long tufty grass through the day which makes for some fantastic walked up rabbit shooting. There is no trees or hedges up here in Shetland and unless in sandy ground they don't have warrens they go to through the day. Here is max pointing a rabbit, if I have the .22 I will keep max on point till I shoot it and if I have the shotgun I will get him to bolt the rabbit so I can have a crack at it.

DSCN1402_zps7e19a7b1.jpg

DSCN1401_zpsa3be52bb.jpg

Good stuff when I go out I only usually get one rabbit then the rest scarper

I need a .22LR :)

If you are out for rabbits spring/summer/autumn.

I briskly walk 20-30 paces then stop, and wait for 30 seconds. If the rabit doesnt bolt out as you approach he will go to ground. Then as they are nervous creatures 7/10 times they will then bolt from cover within the 30 secounds you are standing still. They bolt because you have stopped walking, and they think you know where they are.

This approach also means that when they bolt you have a reasonable chance of being a) in a decent balanced stance and not mid stride b) gun raised and ready to mount.

Both are essential IMO for a new gun as this will provide every chance of a clean kill.

If you just walk at a steady pace and dont pause they lie in long grass or undergrowth and you will walk past them unknowing.

In the spring when you get them warm evenings I have stunk out a hedge of rabbits out a few times, put a couple of pine cones that have been soaked in diesel down every hole, leave it 24 hours and then rough the hedge and grassy strips along it and shoot them rough, shot a lot of rabbits like this.

In the spring when you get them warm evenings I have stunk out a hedge of rabbits out a few times, put a couple of pine cones that have been soaked in diesel down every hole, leave it 24 hours and then rough the hedge and grassy strips along it and shoot them rough, shot a lot of rabbits like this.

Sounds like a really good tip. Are you saying they won't go back down the burrows so they stay above ground and you can then flush them from the hedges.?

Yes they don't like to be underground with the stink, then just rough em up, works the best if they have somewhere rough to get, done it in fir belts and had 2 stand and 2 walk, shot 40+ out of bits like this! I'm sure if someone put a can of diesel through ur letter box you wouldn't want to sit in the house! Give it ago, it's great!