First Car Recommendations

Fisherman Mike

This is true, but then they also don't have any "aids" and as such you actually learn to drive, rather than just sit in the car and expect to get where you are going...

Considering the risks of an accident for a young new driver (as seen in the ridiculous insurance premiums), my primary concern would be safety in the event of an accident.

5 door 1.0 corsa or micra

+1 on the Corsa. Recently sold my relatives 2002 1.0 litre 3 cylinder. Just keep the cam chain up to date...

2002 VW Polo 1.2 3 cylinder, another good first car...

Some companies, (Co-Op being one) give good discounts if you allow them to fit their "black-box". Although if you buy another car during the first year they sting you £90 for another box...

I found it good, as I was able to view her driving behaviour at any point by signing in to the "driver dashboard" ....

Jamie

+1 on the Corsa. Recently sold my relatives 2002 1.0 litre 3 cylinder. Just keep the cam chain up to date...

2002 VW Polo 1.2 3 cylinder, another good first car...

Some companies, (Co-Op being one) give good discounts if you allow them to fit their "black-box". Although if you buy another car during the first year they sting you £90 for another box...

I found it good, as I was able to view her driving behaviour at any point by signing in to the "driver dashboard" ....

Jamie

If the dashboard has GPS that's a very cheap tracker!

Older Landrover, cheap parts not fast, good in a crash as will squash most other things on the road. Easy to repair and will get him good maintenance knowledge as he will be under the bonnet regular. Next to no depreciation.

Figgy