crow caller

bryanhu2

Get yourself a Primos Power Crow caller, for around £12.00 and practice with it until you get it right. This is about THE best caller on the market, especially for the low price. There is a European one that retails for around £33.00, but the Primos can do everything, and more, that the other one does.

I have used Primos calls for many years and have had great success. I can call in Crows, Jackdaws, Rooks and even seagulls (not shot at though) I highly recommend this caller, but as mentioned, don't give up if you can't use it correctly at first.

Any questions, just ask.

Steve.

Cannot really comment on this other than I tried the Primos caller and failed miserably. Trying the really expensive one next, but have a feeling this too might be a dead end.

Oddly, and don't laugh, but we had more success simply imitating crows by calling 'carrrrr' 'carrrrr' whilst doing our best impressions of pirate :lol:

Well, the Sam Neyt one arrived, and, in my humble opinion the sound and ease of use beats the Primos one hands down. It sounds richer, fuller and doesn't need clamping between the teeth to hit the right tone.

We shot in the same place as yesterday, usually a no-go with corvids and despite having shot 70 there yesterday we shot another 30 plus this afternoon.

The FT3 definitely brought extra birds in and successfully turned a few, Sam's videos are the most helpful part, clearly showing how to get the best from the call.

The same technique that I used through the Primos was transformed through the FT3. I think it's well worth the money but I guess it's each to their own.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't comment on the Primos Crow caller as I have never had or used on, but I am led to believe that they are extremely good and have heard nothing but good reports on them. I have been using a Johny Stewart caller for several years and I have been very happy with it, it has quite a loud call to it and it does get a good response from the crows. I have just had a Haydels Triple Tone Crow Call arrived at the beginning of the week (£14.95 New on Amazon) and took it out to try it the other day. It doesn't seem to be quite as loud as the Johny Stewart (Nor quite as big in the hand) but it does give a slightly deeper tone which got an instant response from some crows that had been nesting some 200 yards away. With the first attempt I had three crows circling above where I was sitting (Under a blackthorn hedge) and when they decided to move off a few more quick calls had them turning and flying straight back to where I was again - Well within shotgun range!

To be honest I don't really thing that there is a great deal of difference between many of the "better known" or the "better quality" callers - Much if it comes down to learning how to use them properly, and that is the key thing to get the maximum effect and benefit from themt!

One that I have tried and would not recommend is the "Acme Crow Caller" - They might be good for Jackdaws but nowhere near the best for crows - Mine fell apart with a bent reed after just a few months of use!

Edot: I have to go out in a minute to check on my Larsen Trap so if it helps anyone I will take my video camera and try the show a comparison of the two callers I have!

Edited by Frenchieboy

As promissed a little earlier I have just done a short video this morning showing a comparison between the Johny Stewart and the Haydel's Triple Tone Crow Callers. The onle thing that I would say at this stage is to please bare in mind that my video camera is not a "top or the range" one so the sound quality might not be 100% true.

I hope that this might help one or two members a little:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7CZfku-zFw&list=UU7Y3ebQYzdwgWJaLmRIQNMA

Edited by Frenchieboy