What to do

rwade545

Looking your advice:

Not going to use brand names as it can swing people's opinions.

I bout a 4x4 when it was 1 year old with 1500 miles on the clock from the main dealer. Not a cheap vehicle by any means and marketed as being built for off road driving. Since purchase it has been sticking between 1st and second gear, so I took it back in February with 17000 miles on the clock. They stripped the gear box and it took them 3 1/2 months to rebuilt the box and refit it. Was not happy but the claimed to have trouble sourcing some of the tools. Well I had it for 500 miles, really stiff between all gears except 1&2, really hard to get out of 5th and on 2 occasions has popped out of 3rd and 4th gear on going over a bump in the road. They have now had it for a further 2 weeks and have started stripping it down again. I have tried multiple times to get the customer service department to extend the wArranty as the quality of repairs has concerned me and I feel they should be honoring any work carried out.

I feel a 2 1/2 year old 4x4 should not be having its gearbox being rebuilt twice with only 17000 miles. And before people start questioning my driving I have never had any problem before with a car, my shogun has over 200k on it and still going strong. This 4x4 has only been in muddy fields 2-3 times and has mainly been up and down the motor way. ( I am in a profession where I need to be able to get into work no matter what the conditions are if I am on call- hence the need for a 4x4)

What do people think I should do? I have asked to speak to senior management in the customer service department, have warned then that I feel it is not fit for purpose and will contact consumer advice and am considering legal action.

Any advice/recommendations appreciated.

Regards

You're probably not going to be able to reject the vehicle now, quite simply too much time has passed since purchase.

However, I'd be trying to push for them to put a new gearbox in it - they've failed to properly repair the gearbox fault, so you've got them on 'reasonable care and skill' from the last time they had it in.

As well as the above, I would argue that the warranty should at least be extended by the amount of time it has been off the road. In fact, given that the previous repair by the authorized dealer was short-lived, you should push for an extra years warranty or a new gearbox.

I feel sorry for you, i had serious gearbox trouble with a Jeep a few years ago, at the time it was not even a year old, yes you could go down the claims route you my even win, for me i ended up trading it in when it was going right, either way i am afraid its grief un till its gone.

Given what has been said and the 17,000 miles, problems with time out of service etc, I would consider a compromise.

What would they say if you offered to share the cost of a new gearbox 2/3 them, 1/3 you. They fit it free and you then tade it in elsewhere and buy something else?

If thats not what you want to do, I would try the unfit for purpose. A reasonable person, should reasonably expect a new vehicle to be relatively problem-free for longer than this.

If 5k miles I would have strongly advised this but 17K suggests some of the problem could have been your use - I know that isnt the case but a judge might.

Compromise and get out - expensive lesson learned - or trade in with that dealer for a newer model and insist on 3 years warranty?

I had originally told them about the difficulty changing from 1st to second a year before but was told at that time there was no fault, only when I left it in later and told them it was getting worse did they investigate.

I'm going to push for new box and extended warranty then sell it on if no compromise can be reached.

I had originally told them about the difficulty changing from 1st to second a year before but was told at that time there was no fault, only when I left it in later and told them it was getting worse did they investigate.

I'm going to push for new box and extended warranty then sell it on if no compromise can be reached.

Make sure you have the dates when you first informed them of the problem and suggest you may have tyo go to the local trading standards - They might be worth a call first.

Let us all know when soretd, so we can avoid the same problems ?

Very best of luck.

Fault was reported repair attempted you have given them ample opportunity to fix the issue you have now lost confidence in the product and their ability to rectify the fault so are rejecting it a reasonable time is 6 years under eu consumer law. Easy to prove the fault was there at manufacture as they tried to correct it and failed quite clear cut

• 2 weeks later...

well just an update if anyone in interested:

Gear selector spacings have been changed and now selects gears very smoothly. Been in contact and after leaving a very lengthly letter in on Friday they are trying to arrange a 2 year extended warranty on vehicle. Hopefully they are good to their word and come true on that.

well just an update if anyone in interested:

Gear selector spacings have been changed and now selects gears very smoothly. Been in contact and after leaving a very lengthly letter in on Friday they are trying to arrange a 2 year extended warranty on vehicle. Hopefully they are good to their word and come true on that.

Good news - shame you had to push so hard for what should have been yours by right.

• 2 weeks later...

Well after having the 4x4 back for a few weeks the gear box is playing up again. After some perseverance I met the regional manager and discussed my concerns and cars faults, quoted a bit from trading standards and informed him that I was opening a case with trading standards. The outcome is I am returning it to dealer on Wednesday for 85% of original price. Not bad depreciation for 2 years and it needs 4 new tyres and a service so not loosing too much on it.

Time to start looking for another vehicle.

Well after having the 4x4 back for a few weeks the gear box is playing up again. After some perseverance I met the regional manager and discussed my concerns and cars faults, quoted a bit from trading standards and informed him that I was opening a case with trading standards. The outcome is I am returning it to dealer on Wednesday for 85% of original price. Not bad depreciation for 2 years and it needs 4 new tyres and a service so not loosing too much on it.

Time to start looking for another vehicle.

Good result.

• 2 weeks later...