advice and tips for a small permission

supermotolew

Hi all ! just a quick post from a newbie I have recently been asked to shoot a small piece of land to control the rabbit population and protect the land. noise could be an issue as I will be shooting weekdays after work.

I have at my disposal a 12G with normal and subsonic carts , and an air rifle although I would not like to use this its 30 odd years old hw35 and probably underpowered.

should I buy a 410 Hushpower just for this permission?

I am new to shooting rabbits when should I be looking to shoot times and periods of the year ?

do I need any other kit ?

im presuming with rabbit I can walk through the area shoot 1 or 2 and return later once the spooked gain more confidence ?

should I be lamping or will daylight hours suffice?

what is the done thing to dispose of excess dead rabbits after a shoot ?

any help guidance tips would be much appreciated as Im hoping this small permission could lead to larger ones.

I like you shoot rabbits on a small permission which has cattle on. I only use sub 12 air rifle due to noise and size of land. I shoot in the evening, go for a walk at first then towards dusk sit up behind a warren and wait for them to come out. as for the dead ones I eat them or if no good ie to small this time of year then double bagged and binned.

You'll be surprised at just how quickly rabbits (or any other type of prey) can learn that you're around.

A few years ago, I and a friend were asked to reduce the rabbit population on a smallholding up in the hills. He was up there a fair bit more than me initially, and after a few weeks told me that there were virtually no rabbits left.

A couple of days later, the landowner calls me up, and asks if we're carrying on or leaving it. I drive over there, and there are dozens on bunnies around. I knock off a couple of dozen within an hour or 2.

Next weekend, we're both going up there, but seperately. I'm up there first, and get set up, taking a few with the air rifle. 30 min or so later, every single rabbit in the area pricks their ears up, and then vanish into the burrows. Five minutes later, my mate rocks up in his Land rover. 4 hours later, still virtually nothing showing.

This happened twice more. They could hear his car approaching, and would just take cover for a few hours.

I wouldn't try baiting - if the area gets a rat population then you won't be particularly popular. Varying your shooting time will always help, but most importantly is getting settled into somewhere nice and covered, and letting the rabbits come out in their own time. As you put it 'walking through' will ensure that every rabbit in the fields will be deep in their burrows, and nothing happening for an hour or 2.

As to timing - well, dawn and dusk are ideal, but you can see rabbits out at any time of the day or night.

Regarding the gun - while you can use a normal shotgun, this will send them all into the burrows again. Only you know if a moderated 410 is worth the expense for the use it'll get. I wouldn't be without mine, I think they're a cracking gun to have. Do bear in mind that a 410 isn't a 12 bore though, in terms of killing power and range, and a moderated 410 has less killing power again, as the pellets are a fair bit slower. I think a reasonable decent air rifle is an almost essential piece of kit, probably more useful in the circumstances you describe than a moderated 410.

hmm for the next few weeks I will roll with the 12g and subsonics just while I ***** the grounds a little more ill also drop my air rifle off at my gunsmith for a service the spring is 30 years old ! and look at the output if I can get her close to the legal limit im presuming .22 will be good for 30 yards max .

robbiep what 410 hushpower do you shoot ? I was looking at the Mossberg that also comes with a second barrel after some more experience at this site it looks like a nice excuse to buy a new gun :D

thanks for all of the positive advice members !

My moderated 410 is a Webley and Scott single barrel with the detachable moderator from Saddlery and Gunroom on it - it takes me about 10 min to take the mod off if I want to. Am tempted to get another 410 at some point though, that way I've got both setups for whenever I want ... a nice little S/S hammer folding 410 is possibly on the cards !

I have owned a HW35 for about 35yrs, I put an ox mainspring £17 and new seals in it some years ago, I kill rabbits at 30+ yds easily.

Get the old girl done up and bag some bunnies.

I sell my rabbits "head shot" to the local butcher £2.50 each skinned and ready to sell.

Edited by malantone

I love my mossberg hushpower, it goes out more than any other, simple, no frills shooting. I've been more than impressed with the .410 when kept within sensible limits, although its never going to be as quite as a sub 12 PCP nor as stealthy.

I love my mossberg hushpower, it goes out more than any other, simple, no frills shooting. I've been more than impressed with the .410 when kept within sensible limits, although its never going to be as quite as a sub 12 PCP nor as stealthy.

You'd be surprised. A moderated 410 sounds quite loud ... when you're holding it. From 20 or 25 yards away though, it's a different matter, and amazingly quiet. Certainly quiet enough not to spook other wildlife.

I have owned a HW35 for about 35yrs, I put an ox mainspring £17 and new seals in it some years ago, I kill rabbits at 30+ yds easily.

Get the old girl done up and bag some bunnies.

I sell my rabbits "head shot" to the local butcher £2.50 each skinned and ready to sell.

Hope you have had it on the chrono :ninja:

I would say go with the hw35 for now but do not spoil it with a ox spring it deserves better :yes: one of the best airguns ever made IMHO

Just pulled the hw35 apart for a look over outside shes a beauty but urg there was some sludge around the piston the leather piston looked rock hard. And the break barrel thumb lock closed pin looks a little worn I thi k I need to crack out n get a rebuild kit with piston n upgrade 67 quid

• 2 months later...